Where to get the Valobra stick (US)?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
hicabi

Where to get the Valobra stick (US)?

Post by hicabi »

Hi,

I am running low on the Valobra stick, my favorite shave soap. Any ideas as to where I can get some at a reasonable cost? Some are available on Ebay for around $22, which is rather steep. QED used to carry them for $9 each, but he's out... Any other places?

Thanks.
Here are my shaving soap & stick reviews: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30080
brothers

Re: Where to get the Valobra stick (US)?

Post by brothers »

I believe Valobra raised its prices. Anyway I located it at two places currently, Connaught Shaving UK and Italian Barber Canada. IB says any orders placed now will not be shipped until at least March 27. Paul at Connaught might be the best current source.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Shoeshop Shave Shop has it. The price is $13.39
but he has a minimum order of $15.00.

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like the best deal in the USA right now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Small flower also has them for $14.50 plus $3.95 shipping.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

West coast shaving sells for $12.99 but it's out of stock. QED used to sell for $9 but they stopped carrying Valobra stick a while ago. I wish they didn't.

Connaught shaving has free shipping to US above $65. So if bought enough, it comes down to about $13.40.

I just found out that Detailsformen has it for $10. Does anybody know about this place?
https://www.detailsformen.com/ProductDe ... uctID=1145
Here are my shaving soap & stick reviews: http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30080
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

wvbias wrote:Shoeshop Shave Shop has it. The price is $13.39
but he has a minimum order of $15.00.

Terry
I hope this minimum order thingy does not begin to be the norm for CONUS vendors. Makes vendors like Connaught, Italian Barber, Vintage Scent, etc even more attractive. Plus you can generally get less than or equal prices and shipping if willing to wait a few days.
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

It seems that the number of vendors grows every
year. I'm sure most if not all will not require a
minimum order, lets keep our fingers crossed
just in case.

I sometimes wonder though how there is enough
business to go around for all of them. Are there
more wet shavers than I'm imagining?? Are many
of them keeping it to themselves?? I know I never
mention it to anyone but family. Unfortunately they
are either bearded or don't share in my enthusiasm.

Terry
hicabi

Post by hicabi »

hicabi wrote:West coast shaving sells for $12.99 but it's out of stock. QED used to sell for $9 but they stopped carrying Valobra stick a while ago. I wish they didn't.

Connaught shaving has free shipping to US above $65. So if bought enough, it comes down to about $13.40.

I just found out that Detailsformen has it for $10. Does anybody know about this place?
https://www.detailsformen.com/ProductDe ... uctID=1145
Ordered from Detailsformen over the weekend. Haven't heard anything since then. So I e-mailed yesterday, called today and left a message. Not a word so far. Credit card was charged immediately.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's hoping the soap shows up in a few days. A similar thing happened to me about 3 years ago. Some Internet site up north. Never sent the goods and never responded. I called and emailed a few times. Gave up, but I was ticked off. About 6 or 8 months later a full refund was credited to my account. Never did communicate with me.
Gary

hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Thanks. I'll wait a little longer, and then place a dispute though my credit card. I should be able to get a refund that way. And of course share my experience so that people take notice. I did a search on the store before placing an order, and read some positive reviews on the forums, all belonging to 2009 or earlier though.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I forgot to make it clear that my experience did not involve the vendor you are posting about It was a different one. :)
Gary

hicabi

Post by hicabi »

Update: Ten Valobra sticks arrived from Dennis (detailsformen) as expected. They're rather dated (fresh ones have a different color and smell nice) but that's also Valobra's fault, as they don't shrink wrap their soaps.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Excellent! You got a good price on a good soap. He treated you right.
Gary

hicabi

Post by hicabi »

I agree. But next time I'll try Connaught Shaving hoping for fresher soaps, even though they're more expensive (from UK). Charles at QEDMan used to wrap Valobra's with stretch film to preserve their freshness.

Normally the color should be light gray, and should have a pleasant smell.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Shame other vendors were not so careful, too bad Charles no longer carries those.
Regards,
Squire
BPman

Post by BPman »

I can't get this stick to lather worth a damn with animal hair or synthetic. Personally, I think it's overrated. The cushion & glide is lacking as well. Hell, cheap Arko shames this!! :roll: :roll:
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Valobra stick has long been one of my favorites. I've never had a bad one, myself.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just in case anyone's still looking for a USA based vendor for Valobra stick and other soaps, I notice WestCoast Shaving seems to have it in stock.
Gary

BPman

Post by BPman »

Well, just for the Hell of it I did an experiment the other night with mine. Storybook prep and a nice long pre-soak for the first 1/2 in. of the stick in hot water for 10 mins, beforehand. I used my Mühle synthetic silver tip fiber brush. I did TWO successive face lathers and neither one was worth a damn. I am quite familiar with shave sticks as I have 5 or 6 & this soap for me has little glide or cushion as well and lathers poorly. Arko, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, Lea & La Toja blow it away. Mine is not what appears a dud as it smells perfect and is fairly soft when dry. I have probably used this stick ten times and it is always the same: a loser.