TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Steve

TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

Post by Steve »

For those that are interested, TOBS just introduced their new Lime Luxury Shaving Soap. See link below.

http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatal ... reams.html

Steve
wvbias

Re: TOBS Lime Luxury Shaving Soap

Post by wvbias »

It seems that Taylor's soap is rarely
( more like never ) mentioned on the
forums.

Terry
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Steve, Thanks for the heads up. Sounds interesting.

Terry, Well, not entirely. Chris ( from Philadelphia ) has often posted about his fondness for the Taylor Lavender shave soap and a few other members use their soaps as well. It's just not mentioned as frequently as some others. I'm trying to remember what Chris said about the most recent specimens.

Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

New products from the old line firms always stir our interest, and this one's no exception. I think we are all hoping it's a great performing soap. With the new formulations getting better and better, maybe it's time Taylor's grabs the gold ring with a soap. I hope so. I'm watching for a review.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Well if this stuff is even close to as good as the most recent Penhaligon's and Floris' soaps are said to be, that would be the gold ring because Taylor's is considerably less expensive. I know that Chris thought very highly of their Lavender soap in the past but I don't recall what, if anything, he has said about them more recently.
Regards,
Gordon
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Gordon, I have a puck of their "new" Lavender and its okay but not anything special. I will give the Lime soap a try when it is available over here.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hearing that there is another newly formulated TOBS soap that is just OK tells me not to get too excited at this point.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Hearing that there is another newly formulated TOBS soap that is just OK tells me not to get too excited at this point.
One of the reasons I keep my new soap trials limited.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

There are a lot of guys who are courageous and brave, and optimistic. I will happily step back and let them do the experimentation and spread the word.
Gary

wvbias

Post by wvbias »

brothers wrote:There are a lot of guys who are courageous and brave, and optimistic. I will happily step back and let them do the experimentation and spread the word.
I agree. :)

Terry
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Well, this looks interesting! Yes, as Gordon mentioned I am VERY fond of Taylor's Lavender shaving soap - in the bowl. The bowl variety is the old potassium stearate based version that was ubiquitous until a few years ago, not so much any more though. I use this stuff greater than 90% of the time when I'm shaving. I find that the lather from this is very close to the old formula 89 shaving soap (circa 1980 etc as Buzz would say) but not quite the same. The difference, I believe, can be reduced to the hardness of the Taylor's soap being very hard and thus not melting as fast to deliver the same amount of soap as that old formula 89 which is considerably softer. So if I load the Taylor's a little more the lather's are nearly identical.

I have not tried the modern Taylor's Lavender shaving soap cake that is palm based so I cannot comment on that. However, I do have the more modern version of the Floris 89 soap that seems to have nearly the same formula as the modern palm based Taylor's Lavender shaving soap and thus may be a proxy. The 89 soap is excellent for a palm based soap (but NOT the same as it's older potassium stearate based incarnation) and I suspect that it is made by the same folks that produce the modern Taylor's Lavender. So, if this new Limes is anything like that modern 89 soap I possess then I expect it to be a winner. That said I'm not planning on getting this Limes soap anytime soon.

I have a very nice cake of an older formula Trumper's limes that I need to use up which will probably get tapped when the weather turns warm here. I am reaching for the modern 89 cake more often these days because of it's citrus opening notes due to the fact that I'm pining for Spring Season. So between the two of them who knows if and when I will get the bug to get this Limes Taylor's (though I suspect I will get it eventually).

Until then I plan to watch the reviews of this Taylor's Limes shaving soap with a careful eye.

Chris
Steve

Post by Steve »

TOBS does not make many shaving soaps but the do make great ones! I have tried Lavender, Sandalwood and Jermyn and they are all quality, triple milled soaps. I haven't tried the Lime Luxury Soap yet. They all seem to be reasonably priced too.

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I used quite alot of Taylor's sandalwood shave soap years ago though I must admit it's been awhile.
Regards,
Squire
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I just finished a puck of sandalwood (veg version) and found it works well and the scent is very nice. I admit though that it took shaving exclusively with this soap for a while before I was able to get consistent, good lather with it. Once I got there, I really enjoyed this soap. I don't intend to replace it, but just might try the lime when I finish off a few more items...
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Tinman, thanks for the report and welcome to SMF!
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Tinman, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think maybe some of the guys who jumped right out and ordered the Taylor Lime Soap should be receiving their packages by now. I'm wondering who the first responder might turn out to be.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm sure they will let us know.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's probably not going to be you or me. I have a hunch they're out there, those first responders who ordered it from UK. Give it time, and soon the CONUS vendors will be in stock with it. I'm mildly surprised Paul at Connaught doesn't have it yet. He's just down the street (I have no idea) from TOBS.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Its been a while since anyone's mentioned this elusive shaving soap from Taylor's. I sent an email to the TOBS contact link, and received a response that said Taylors had referred my request for information to their North American distributor. A couple of hours following that, I received a cryptic email from someone asking me a simple question. . Where are you? My response was just as terse. I answered Oklahoma City. No response.
Gary