How long has it been since you bought new soap or cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Re: How long has it been since you bought new soap or cream?

Post by bernards66 »

Terry, Well I got to the point, a number of years ago, that it was getting stressful BECAUSE of the large selection I had. I mean, every morning there was this difficult decision to cope with...sigh. So, I did trim it down a bit. To address the original question; it hasn't been all that long...maybe five or six months since I bought that Taylor's Rose cream. The temptation these days is that I have to replace the Harris's Pink A/S regularly and whenever I do, well, any site that stocks it also stocks a full battery of creams and soaps and there is the urge to just add one to the order I'm already placing anyway telling myself, "save on the shipping charge...order two items"....yeah. Really though, I did go through at least a two year period around 2011-2012 where I did not order much of anything other than the Pink and I had a larger supply of even that than usual so it was pretty much nothing during that time. Generally when I do order creams or soaps it's stuff I've used in the past and know that I like, hardly ever do I order products I've never tried anymore. Kicking in on that ABC soft soap was an exception and that was only because I've 'known' Chris Fisher for a long time and since he said the soap was really good I was willing to give it a go.
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

I just order enough soap for a year, and replenish my soap the next year. a puck or two of MWF, a couple tins of mikes natural. I'm good to go.
I need some shea butter, so I ordered some from Mystic Water and included a tub of honey soap since I haven't had Mystic Water for a while.

marc
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

A day...
Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good comment Eric . . . I'll wager a lot of us have at least thought about it within the last day or so.
Regards,
Squire
Mr.Max

Post by Mr.Max »

Just the other day, I had to order more aftershave and……….threw in a tub of taylor's avocado.
~Matt
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hiya,

One thing I don't need is more soaps/creams, but then need sometimes doesn't enter into buying decisions. Like this one.

Couple days ago a Limey buddy and I split two tubs of the scented Xpec.....probably the last two in the world and all the seller had in stock. I am hoping to receive it from the UK in maybe 10 days or so.

When something goes extinct, it's a good reason to buy some if possible. Heh, as if a good reason is needed.

Martin
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

The only reason needed is " I want it ".

Terry
brothers

Post by brothers »

Martin, that XPEC was a great score!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

It's been about two weeks for me. A couple of Valobra Fern soaps, yet another Harris Marlborough soap. Usually I buy more than one soap or cream, you know yea..............save on shipping costs. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Also, Bruno, you have to have backups! Just in case.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's sound reasoning Bruno.
Regards,
Squire
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

brothers wrote:Also, Bruno, you have to have backups! Just in case.
I know what you mean Gary. Some of my items have backups of backups of backups..... :lol:
I'll tell you what I discovered not too long ago. I had ordered some blades and I found that I liked them very much. Mind you, when I order blades I order at least 100 of them.
So I ordered another 200 of them and now I figured I was set for a while. (Never mind the countless hundreds of other makers' blades I have).
I was looking through my stashes and lo and behold, I had 300 originally instead of the 100 I thought I had. Now I have 500 total, give or take a few that I've used already. :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I won't even try to count the blades.
Regards,
Squire
The_Metatron

Post by The_Metatron »

Not too long ago, I bought another block of Tabac from Bullgoose. They last for months.
"The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle. You must learn its discipline. For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts... This you can trust."
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

It has now been 2 years since I bought any new soaps.

Other than vintage soaps that are in high demand, I am not motivated to buy most readily available soaps. I either have them or have tried them.

Which reminds me... I need to post a WTB for vintage Trumpers violet soap on the BST forum. :D
mike

Post by mike »

I haven't purchased any soaps or creams for 6 months. However I did buy a bunch of Coates today, :D
Mike

~ Beati Pacifici~
nelson

Post by nelson »

A few weeks ago I ordered and received a tub of GFT sandalwood cream. Although I've been hanging around here for 6 or 7 years and am not new to wet shaving,believe it or not, that was the first tub of GFT sandalwood I ever purchased or used. In recent years my shaving cream purchases have been reorders of creams I've used extensively and liked. I think the Trumper cream is a very good "shaver" with a pleasant scent; however, when the tub is finished I'll probably go back to the TOB sandalwood, which I have used and liked a great deal for the last 6 years or so.

nelson