beardless.me

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Bezdomny

beardless.me

Post by Bezdomny »

Hi, I am new to the forum, but am very happy that this exists. I have a blog (10 years old) on barbers and have been travelling the world visiting different ones, I hope this forum can educate me about what makes a barber reputable. I am also happy to hear from any barbers out there who might want to shave me.. I am not looking for freebies! Anywhere in the world is fine, I'll get there eventually.

Thanks,
http://beardless.me/
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: beardless.me

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard Bez, would certainly like to hear about some of your adventures.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF. Post often, ask questions and we will respond. Your blog looks most interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Respond, extend, elaborate, then respond some more.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I visited the blog. Sounds promising. As you may have observed, many of our members have posted about barbershop shaves. I'm sure you can offer us some personal experiences that will be of great interest. Thanks for stopping by SMF. Looking forward to your regular participation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting site!

Welcome to the forum.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Bezdomny!

- Murray
Bezdomny

Post by Bezdomny »

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I only wish my beard grew faster to get shaved more often....not really... okay sometimes
brothers

Post by brothers »

Can you share some of your traveling barber shave experiences with us? I suspect you have a few.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bezdomny

Post by Bezdomny »

Hi Gary, I think if you want to make a barber pilgrimage, some of the best are in Turkey, they are famous around the world, but nothing like getting a full treatment from a traditional Turkish barber, also in Bosnia, Sarajevo there are real artists with the razor. They are hypnotizing!
In India it's quite strange since there is no standard, every barber does it his own way; I wouldn't be surprised if you found one who lathered you AFTER the shave, this is how strange they can be, but altogether great barbers. In Turkey and India a full treatment, like several hours of grooming will cost you really nothing, not so much because their economies are weak; more because shaving is a daily thing and in those countries it's still common to go to a barber a few times a week, get your shoes shined, get a watch repaired, get your shoes cobbled... all these professions still exist!
I suspect they will come back elsewhere because people are realizing the consumerist cloud has past and it's better to buy expensive handmade shoes (that can be repaired) once instead of buying mass-produced shoes several times and have them fall apart. If you do the math, the expensive ones are actually cheaper in the long run.
Back to shaving, I see a rebirth in barbershops all over. Some of them are "vintage" and hipstery, others traditional, but if you consider the cost of home shaving equipment and compare that with getting a weekly shave form a barber and add the value of having someone else groom you I think you'll see why barbershops have been around since ancient times and will be around for much longer.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, I believe they will.
Regards,
Squire