Gillette Pivot Ball Razor - Stop The Insanity Already

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
jww
Woolly Bully

Gillette Pivot Ball Razor - Stop The Insanity Already

Post by jww »

I am pretty sure KC didn't see this coming in 1902.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gillette ... zor-2014-4
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Re: Gillette Pivot Ball Razor - Stop The Insanity Already

Post by brothers »

Oh yeah. This is going to put sales over the top. Just looking at it makes my whiskers want to fall out by themselves. I think one might need to be a gymnist in order to figure out how to use it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

A Dyson for the face. How absurd.
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'd say it tracts KG's original business model fairly well, which is to say make available a gizmo that will sell blades.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have absolutely nothing nice to say about it, and plenty I would like to write, ( [-X ) so I'll just remain silent.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

The grasping at straws continues.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hmmm....well, we've been saying since shortly after the Pro Glide came out that, '....surely they can't add even MORE blades so I wonder what they will do next...?'. And here it is I guess. A couple of interesting points; the article noticed that this was a departure from their traditional model in that this thingy will use cartridges that are already available, and I note that it seems to have but a single cutting edge ( at least for now ). I wonder how they will now explain away all their years of harping on how two blades were better that one, and three were better than two, and so on? Knowing Gillette/P&G I'm sure they'll find a way. Perhaps that the pivoting ball gizmo makes more than one blade 'unnecessary' ? I can hardly wait...sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Apparently one ball equals x number of blades.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

As I think of my statement that KC not seeing the Dyson Ball razor ---- I am actually pretty sure that he saw the $$ from the rising cost of blades ----- Let's see, we'll sell the blades at $10 a pop (10£ in the UK and 17€ for you gents in the EU) -- throw in a "free" razor with an introductory pack of 3, and then watch the money flow in. <<sigh>> ](*,)
Wendell

LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

It is hard to believe the company that engineered the Fatboy is now to this. [-X
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'll cry no bitter tears for the marks of that which once has been, just pick up my Chatsworth and go on.
Regards,
Squire
dosco

Post by dosco »

Well, that's pretty funny.

I'm surprised that they haven't designed a multi-blade cart where the user could twist a knob and adjust the angles of the blades. Sort of like a Venetian blind.
brothers

Post by brothers »

dosco wrote:Well, that's pretty funny.

I'm surprised that they haven't designed a multi-blade cart where the user could twist a knob and adjust the angles of the blades. Sort of like a Venetian blind.
Dave, I'm sure that's next on the list.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Or a rotating circular cartridge... think "reel" razor, that "mows down" whiskers.

It gives me the shakes to even contemplate the ingrowns from that !
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

It rotates side to side??? Has anybody ever dragged a DE razor side to side across their face?
Not nice and it stings like hell even when it rarely happens by accident.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Enough already with all that rational stuff! Don't you know that this in NOW 'the best a man can get'?....I mean, really....sigh...
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I'm thinking of the ad campaign ----- more of Adrien Brody's "anchor-face"? :roll:
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Tonight at the mall I visited AOS, and they are now selling the Power Ball razor. They've had them in stock 3 days. They're priced at $125, and due to the intriguing gagetry, it'll sell because guys like intriguing gagetry. It does swivel.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't doubt for a minute the truth of this, but I laugh at the incredible price. Just incredible. :lol:
Brian

John N.

Post by John N. »

From looking at the link, the new razor will use ProGlide blades (I believe Gordon thought it only has a single blade because he may have been looking at the back of the cart. and only seeing the trimmer blade), and the manual version will cost around $12.00...not a huge amount of $ considering what many of us spend on our shared interest. The AOS version will obviously cost much more as Gary has already seen. There are people on this forum who like & use the ProGlide razors (I use a manual version in the shower with excellent results), and if this new razor lives up to it's pre-release hype I think they will sell well...get a new handle for $12.00, use the blades you may already have and have been buying anyway and get better results. As we like to say around here YMMV.
J.
John N.