How to keep a beard neat...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Martin

How to keep a beard neat...

Post by Martin »

Hello, im thinking of growing a beard, but how do I keep it neat around the edges?. Do people use those electronic beard trimmers or do you still use your razor?. Im thinking certain "blind spots" even using a mirror will be hard to keep it symmetrical??? especially around the side of jaw/neck?.

Cheers
Gene

Re: How to keep a beard neat...

Post by Gene »

Way back when I (briefly) had a beard I used a razor to keep the non-beard areas clean. I knew what beard line I wanted, and shaved up (neck) and down (cheeks) to that. Only needed to shave those areas every few days.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Martin -

I've worn a beard for over forty years. I shave my neck, and the razor works very well and easily to maintain the shape of the beard at the neck.

On the cheeks I do a minimum of shaping to create a straight line. For this, after I get out of the shower, dried and dressed, I apply water to my cheeks and shape the beard with a Bic Metal. This disposable razor has a single blade and a very narrow head, which makes precise shaping of this nature much easier.

I maintain the beard itself with barber scissors. You can also use an electric beard trimmer if you want to maintain a short beard at a fixed length. For this you need a beard trimmer with a deep comb that raises the whole cutting head a certain distance above the skin. In the past, I shaped the beard with scissors, but this alone allows the beard to get longer and longer. So, then I would periodically buzz it down with an electric beard trimmer and start the process over again. Now, when I get a haircut, the barber trims my beard down and I maintain it with scissors between haircuts.

- Murray
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hmmm all that just for a beard :D

Cheers
Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Once the beard is in full flight, maintenance is very easy, literally a few minutes every 3/4 days

the border of a full beard vs stubble is well defined, so once you have that, there is no need to worry about whether or not youre trim is straight/symmetrical

anyway, even if you accidently trim it uneven, its usually not noticeable unless you really look for it. It will grow back anyway.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thank you, im gonna give it a try.

Cheers
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I also have worn a beard for many years. Mine is a version of the goatee that hides my weak chin to satisfy my wife's preference. (I was wearing it when I met her). I use a pair if barbers scissors to keep the length and outline where I want it and shave my neck up to the bottom edge of the beard and my cheeks on either side. Oh yes, it gets out of shape once In a while in spite of my best efforts. Then I ask my barber to shape it for me. If I don't like the result, I just shave the darn thing off and start over.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Pete, that explains the origin of your moniker "ouch my chin". :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sometimes we just have to start over Pete, fortunately you can.
Regards,
Squire
funman

Post by funman »

I'm still using a razor