WHAT A GREAT GIFT...

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
marsos52

WHAT A GREAT GIFT...

Post by marsos52 »

A couple weeks back I was gifted a pack of NOS Gillette blades. I think these are from the 1980's.
Last week I opened the pack and put one blade in my Tradere open comb. O' the memories.

What a delight this last week of shaving has been. I have never forgotten how wonderful the Gillette blades of the past where,
but to experience them once again is truly shaving heaven.

There is no other blade on the market today that can even come close to Gillette's from days gone by.

Shaving with these blades is a experience one must try for themselves to understand all its benefits.

We talk about a smooth and a close shave. We try to accomplish this with high end razors and soaps and taking time to set up our beard with pre shave procedures.
All this is not necessary. If we only had blades of this kind of quality.

Just lather up and go to the shave and I don't even feel the blade in my razor. each pass is as smooth as not having a blade in the razor.
Smooth and effortless and close and any one could ever want or expect.

No irritation, no weepers, no special techniques needed. Just shave and get the finest results ever. And the added bonus with these blades are how they last and last.
It's so hard for me to got a week from any blade, and after a week of shaving this blade is still going strong and each shave feels the same as my first shave with the blade.

The pack has a price of $1.89 and it was marked down to a $1.49 for ten blades. I have seen these same blades of Ebay selling for $20.00
I hate to say it but there worth it.

I think the difference is how they were honed. I say this because I been paying attention to my regrowth. With new blades my regrowth feels sharp and with the NOS my regrowth
actually feels smooth to the touch. What ever makes them shave the way they do, I like it...

Marc
brothers

Re: WHAT A GREAT GIFT...

Post by brothers »

Marc, these blades have been described as the best to ever come out of Gillette.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

yes I do agree with you, I began DE shaving in the mid 70's. I can't remember how many versions of Gillette platinum's there was from then till the 90's.
I never had any issues with any of the versions, there just so damn good.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

These, Persona 74s, Wilkinson Light Brigade, yeah, there were some great blades back them.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marc, Yeah...sigh...I hear you. Your post is just a repeat of I don't know how many posts I've written here in the past. They simply don't make DE blades of that quality ANYWHERE today, and that's the plain truth ( at least IMO ). I started shaving in 1964, so, from then until some time in the early '90s those are the kind of blade I used, and as Squire's post suggests, ALL the bigger name US and UK blades were in the same general league. This is what I was used to, what I expected, and even just took for granted. So, when DE blades started to really begin to go downhill in the '90s, buddy I NOTICED...and was not pleased. By 2000 or so I had switched to a Schick Injector ( with the US made blades ) because I'd just become so disgusted with what was being offered in DE blades by then. Then, here on the forum, I found out about the Gillette 'Swedes'...the European made Gillette Platinums that they were still selling in the UK. An English member sent me a few and with one stroke, I knew...'thank God!...THESE are like what I'm used to!' ( and had been unable to get anymore in the US ). Those 'Swedes' were really the last of that breed. Once they were no longer made I went to using vintage blades that I've gotten from hither and yon. Not sure what I'll do really when my supply of those is gone.
Regards,
Gordon
Gene

Post by Gene »

I was fortunate enough to pick up a few packs on our BST last year. Because of my travel schedule last year I was able to get each blade to last 6 to 7 weeks (!)...simply because I wasn't using the blade every day. Not traveling as much now - so I am reduced to using each blade till it finally collapses of overuse, then going to a Voskhod or Gillette Bleue (have a small supply of both) for a while. Anything to make that supply last as long as I can.

Maybe I will find more some day...it could happen!

By the way - that IS a great gift!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore