Back to Jolly 'Ole

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Re: Back to Jolly 'Ole

Post by Rufus »

Bargepole wrote:now The Shard and The Gherkin and all those other vain puffed-up towers that deface the City, they're a different matter. I irrationally resent the fact that my beloved skyline has become indistinguishable from a standard EuroCity. Ah well.
As I said before the Eye is an eyesore, but The Shard, The Gherkin, et al are abominations, travesties and just plain ugly. Is this what is meant by "world class"?
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the idea of naming buildings for objects as opposed to our local tradition of naming buildings after commercial enterprises. However, I suppose it is very lucrative for the owners of buildings to sell the naming rights under contract for a given period of time before reselling the naming rights again and again.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Wendell, Well, some of the collections at the British Museum are definitely on the 'London list' along with the Turners at the Tate. Regarding the 'stately house' thing I had thought of Hatfield and that may wind up being the one. I'm familiar with some of the history and it being so close in to London is a definite plus. It's going to be an ongoing balancing act though because my wife, if left to her own devices, would spend the entire time ( starting early in the morning ) going on 'tours' and that sort of thing. I'm the opposite, I like just meandering around at my own speed on my own time. The whole Jermyn St./St. James's thing is, of course, my trip and she knows that that is going to be part of it but the rest will have to be worked out.
Regards,
Gordon
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Well, I expect a full report from everyone upon their return. That should make for some wonderful reading.
In the meanwhile, I'll just have to live vicariously through these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyFXOTvEFy0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx-n6rwHJVE
(This second piece includes the rare video based on Roger Ebert's book, "The Perfect London Walk," beginning at the 12:57 mark.)
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I agree with you Gordon, we much prefer meandering on our own. We have done a few tours over the years, and have always enjoyed it. For London, we did a self-directed walking tour, with some planned stops. For most other places, we just wander away and that's simply the best way to see things. Our children still talk about walking all along the South Bank from The Globe to Harrod's over two days. We did the same in Stratford and Oxford -- just ditching the cars and busing/walking wherever. We enjoyed just being able to see people, places and things .... great memories for sure.

By way of update, we have decided that we only are going to stay with family for a couple of days at the beginning and end of the trip. Since it will be school holiday, we are thinking of making a run up one of the first evenings we are in Manchester to Blackpool to see the illuminations with our nieces' families of all-boys (no girls in the 2nd generation other than our daughter). Yes I know it may be a bit on the tacky side -- but my wife did it many times as a child and has wanted to share that memory with me all these 33 years we have been married. A ride on the tram along the prom at Blackpool -- the very essence of The North don't you know! :D

Last night we booked a short stay at Stoke Farm near Grindleford in The Peak District National Park for a couple of nights. Unfortunately, I think we'll have to drop Haddon Hall from our list of interests since it appears that it will be closed just before we arrive (bit of a drag that, we were really looking forward to that location). But -- we'll have the added advantage of roaming around a bit, and will surely find ourselves in Bakewell to grab a pudding (don't confuse it with the tart -- a 20th century concoction) and probably Buxton as well. We have walked around both before including riding on the train in the Buxton gardens when our oldest was but 2yrs old -- and yet we never grow tired of it ever. I love the market towns on market day --- so much to see, do and hear. Lovely (that's would be pronounced luv-leh).

We will be driving right by the Church of St Mary and All Saints in Chesterfield on one of our day-jaunts, I am sure. It's a place I have always wanted to roam around and see the twisted steeple firsthand, so we'll stop in there for a bit of a nosey.

Yes everything is coming together quite well for us now. We aren't going to do York as we had initially planned, and I am not likely to get to Bradford either to see Mitchell's -- speaking of which, can you imagine that they haven't done anything to their website in years ---- and I do mean real years, not internet years. :shock: :lol:

Not even sure I'll get a game in at Old Trafford either .... but there are two Saturdays which are not accounted for ...... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sorry to hear you'll have to skip Mitchell's. Oh well, it's just soap, right? At least you get a pudding. :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

jww wrote: I am not likely to get to Bradford either to see Mitchell's -- speaking of which, can you imagine that they haven't done anything to their website in years ---- and I do mean real years
Makes sense to me, no reason why they should, the formula hasn't changed.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:
jww wrote: I am not likely to get to Bradford either to see Mitchell's -- speaking of which, can you imagine that they haven't done anything to their website in years ---- and I do mean real years
Makes sense to me, no reason why they should, the formula hasn't changed.
Indeed. :D
Wendell

Ken

Post by Ken »

To speed reentry into the US, apply for Global Entry. You fill out a form on-line, and go for an interview and the approval is good for five years. It also satisfies the TSA pre-check requirements, so that you don't have to take off shoes, etc. when flying in the U.S.

Ken
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ken, Thanks. I'll look into that.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gordon -- here's the low-down comparison between GE, Nexus and a couple of other US-specific traveler programs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/trave ... .html?_r=0
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Been in Jolly Ole for the last two weeks and the weather has been magnificent. Enjoying my pint of Ringwood Bitter and a plate of fish and chips at the moment. Sadly, just one more week to go.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Wimbledon in London and Le Tour in Yorkshire --- what a combination.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been wondering whether Gordon and Wendell and their spouses have taken their wonderful trips abroad yet. Gordon stopped posting at SMF over a month ago, and I've presumed he's happily wandering around Trumper's and etc., and having the time of his life. Wendell, you're still posting, but not about your trip. Did you already go and return, or is it still on the horizon?
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

We are yet to go, but it is rapidly approaching.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

If the new Kent 4 arrives before you leave it'll make a perfect travel brush and will add to your enjoyment of the experience.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:If the new Kent 4 arrives before you leave it'll make a perfect travel brush and will add to your enjoyment of the experience.
Having it shipped to a UK address -- it will be waiting there for me when I arrive ...... :D
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

We're off on the 15th for a fortnight. Have a black tie dinner on the 18th, but after that I'll be free to prowl Curzon St., Jermyn St., the Burlington Arcade and Picadilly for a few days and then to the West Country to do the family thing. Weather forecast looks promising.
Bryan
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Bryan and Wendell, good on you both and enjoy safe and wonderful trips.
Enviously,
John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Winding up our visit now; tomorrow we'll be winging our way home to Hog Town. Managed to get three days in central London before heading to the West Country to see the family and all. Whilst in London I did visit the three T's and several other shaving emporia, but my buying was restraint as I'd loaded up whilst here in June/July. My modest haul consists of TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream and aftershave, C&E Sandalwood shaving cream, Prorasaro green aftershave and a Kent Syntex brush. Haven't tried any of the sandalwoods yet, but I've used the Kent brush several times. The jury is still out on the Kent as to whether I prefer it to my Muhle STF or not, but at the price it is good value. My visits to the three T's confirmed my liking for TOBS over the others. I find the TOBS shop on Jermyn St to be a very inviting place to shop: the goods are accessible and well displayed and the staff friendly and helpful. On the other hand the Trumpers shop on Curzon St is less inviting as all the goods are behind glass or behind the counter and the staff is aloof and guarded. The Harris shop on Piccadilly is not bad, but it doesn't have the same atmosphere as TOBS. Surprisingly SWMBO agrees with my assessments.
Bryan