Coping with change

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
brothers

Coping with change

Post by brothers »

I was only able to shave twice a day because of the Ingram's Brushless. It enabled me to use any razor and gave great protection and slickness while the sharpest blades could do their work without causing irritation. Now it's gone and I've gone back to a once a day shave. I thought about trying to find a substitute for the Ingrams, but there are too many others, and I'm not in the mood to start buying stuff just to try it out and decide it's not Ingrams. So I don't give a darn about that process. So now I'm on to using up soaps and creams one after another. That's pleasing to me.

Another thing that I've noticed is that the twin blade (specifically Trac II, Kai Twin, and Feather F2 Neo) cartridges provide great shaves that seem to last longer. That makes it unnecessary to shave twice a day. So I don't give a darn about shaving all the time just because it's enjoyable. Maybe I'll take more naps with all the time I'm going to save. :) I love using all of my razors of all kinds, and I'm not abandoning them, just working one more cartridge into my inner group of favorites.

I discovered that simply getting a package in the mail with some previously unknown shaving product or tool is a source of elation, and it's too much like an addiction, so I'm not doing that any more. Self-discipline, don't ya' know? I'll buy what I want, and what I enjoy, but no more impulses or peer pressure induced acquisitions. I'll make my own soaps whenever I decide the time's right, and using those is very satisfying. So I'll keep on doing that.

You know I'm no slave to what are known as traditional or classic soap and cream concoctions that are coveted due to the brand names. But if one of those turns out to be an excellent product, then I'm going to buy it and use it. If something else comes along and works great, then I'm going to buy it and use it.

Posting on a forum gives me an outlet to be better aware of what's going on. Also, I end up creating a log or journal of my activities so I can track changes and innovations, and keep track of what I've used and what I've done as it goes along. So I'll keep doing that. Being able to actually discuss this stuff with similar-minded folks in a written conversation is a good thing, and I don't have any plans to stop any time soon.

If I think of more stuff like this, I'll post it. I wonder if other guys are seeing or have seen changes in the way they work through and around their shaving practices and products.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: Coping with change

Post by ShadowsDad »

I like the idea of a journal. But I probably won't start one. Maybe when I'm feeble and drooling I'll wish I had one so that the nurse could read it to me and I could relive these days when I was able to shave myself.

Of course I've seen changes in my shave habits. Especially as I change techniques and bring new gear into my shave routine. With the razors I've used in the past I liked to shave once a day, and I still do. But with my use of the Rolls for the past month I find it works best (or is it me?) shaving every 36-48 hours. That might mean that I won't use the Rolls as much as I'd like to. I really like to shave once a day. But right now I'm busy and experimenting with the Rolls so maybe it's serendipity that that shave frequency and the Rolls happened along at the same time. Time will tell. I hope I return to daily shaving when I return to my other razors.

I don't acquire things with as much frequency any more. I've reached satiation and the limit to what I can store. I have enough soap for probably a lifetime so I really don't need more. I've stopped reading soap reviews. If I ever need more soaps it'll all change by then anyway. At that time I'll pay attention. Razors? Other than the Rolls I pretty much found what works for me and the shaves I get can't be bettered, so what's the use of more razors? I'm not a collector, or so I tell myself.

I guess I'm just set in my shaving ways at the moment and quite content. Except for the Rolls Razor. That was a bit of excitement in my shave routine and I quite like it. Different it definitely is and I love variation. After the experimentation with the Rolls I'll return to my routine I suppose, but with the Rolls thrown in for added variation.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

The journal or log I was referring to is not a separate thing, its just the posts I make on the forums from day to day. 8) This is it!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've kept a Journal for years but it doesn't contain any mention of shaving. For me shaving is a pleasant task that I enjoy but I don't obsess about it. That's not to say I'm free of obsessions, just that shaving hasn't made the list.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:I've kept a Journal for years but it doesn't contain any mention of shaving. For me shaving is a pleasant task that I enjoy but I don't obsess about it. That's not to say I'm free of obsessions, just that shaving hasn't made the list.
Same here, no obsessions, other than maintaining balance and moving from one day to the next without harming anyone in the process. I've never kept a journal, and have no desire to do so at this stage of the game. In my career, I've had two employers who have required a daily log of what I do for the week, and I find it outrageous and unnecessary (more than likely a reflection of the manager's paranoia in full bloom). In my opinion, all I need to do is the first sentence in this paragraph, and they should trust me as trust myself to do the job.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I am obsessive about the number of thread wraps on the head of a fly I'm tying for fishing but that's talk for another board.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Well, if you remember...when you were much newer here, some of us told you that eventually you would slow down, that that driving 'curiosity' would abate and you'd begin to settle into a more limited number of products and hard ware. Most of us who have been here a long time went through a curve like that earlier on in our 'career'. I did also but I went through much of it before these forums even were up and running.
Regards,
Gordon
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Like others here I got obsessed with acquiring "the best" until I filled a cabinet with stuff, a good bit of which I didn't like. Now I am stuck with a full cabinet but still want to find something "better". What bugs me is that I can't even give the stuff away. The young men in my family have no interest in shaving stuff, especially colognes and aftershaves.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

OMC, The unwanted gear won't sell on the b/s/t?

Actually I had that problem as well, and I wanted to move the gear out, mostly SE razors that I had excess of. I didn't pay much for them, but they were taking up room. I PIFed them if they didn't sell. Frankly it sort of ticked me off because my prices were good.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, I'm going to try very hard to emulate you over the next few years. I have all the double edged razors I can ever use, some new, some vintage and I enjoy using them all. I even have a couple of single edge razors that I haven't used enough to figure them out. Add to that a few different cartridge razors and I am set for the rest of my life. Straights don't interest me in the slightest, thank God.

Where I break down is soaps and creams. There have been times that I have binged. In the past, I've accumulated enough stuff to last several years. I'm going to try my best to use this stuff up. I should say that I don't have any soaps or creams that I don't like so I'm not planning to deep six any of them. There are some that I won't replace when they are gone and others that I would hate to be without but I want to work my way down to a few that will please me over the long term. Wish me luck.
Best regards,

Basil
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

Squire wrote:I've kept a Journal for years but it doesn't contain any mention of shaving. For me shaving is a pleasant task that I enjoy but I don't obsess about it.
brothers wrote:Same here, no obsessions, other than maintaining balance and moving from one day to the next without harming anyone in the process.
Those are words to live by. The sentiments expressed here seem to be reverberating across the wetshaving forums. "Buying sabbaticals" are increasingly common. No Buy July just concluded over at The Shave Den, with many participants echoing what is said in this thread. There have been others, and it is likely this trend will continue.

It seems that many of our brethren, ever chasing the perfect, ultimate shave, bought a mountain of gear. An ever increasing number of them are now finding that the overhead of acquiring and owning all those things, not to mention unhappy spouses, outweighs the benefits. Sometimes really good is as close to perfection as needed or feasible.

It has been almost ten years since Cory Greenberg ignited a sea change in men's grooming, and the market is maturing. After the initial, frenetic period of increasing awareness, product adoption and availability, things are settling down to a more relaxed pace of evolution. Some vendors and products will go away, to the disappointment of many. New products and vendors will appear and there will always be plenty of awesome gear to go around. One does not need to own 300 examples of each bit of it to get a fantastic shave.
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

Squire wrote:I am obsessive about the number of thread wraps on the head of a fly I'm tying for fishing but that's talk for another board.
That's not obsessive, that's is paying close attention to detail. ;) Izaak Walton and Charles Cotton would be proud of you!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Raze R. Blade wrote:. . . Sometimes really good is as close to perfection as needed or feasible.
Raze, that's very true, plus, these little whiskers just keep on growing out again, and we gotta do it all over again. Forever . . . :roll:
Gary

Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

brothers wrote:
Raze R. Blade wrote:. . . Sometimes really good is as close to perfection as needed or feasible.
Raze, that's very true, plus, these little whiskers just keep on growing out again, and we gotta do it all over again. Forever . . . :roll:
Since shaving is now a pleasurable undertaking, that is rather good thing. Having to do something at the beginning of each day gives us an enjoyable routine, which can be quite beneficial.

I find your comments on the Trac II both interesting and familiar. I got my start in "real" wetshaving using a quality shaving cream and a Trac II, but switched to a safety razor soon thereafter. The Trac II is capable of delivering some very good shaves indeed. Perhaps "traditional wetshaving" is a misnomer. Ah well, whatever it is called and whatever tools are used, the important thing is that one is content and satisfied. May all your shaves be great!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

One of the 'fads' online are websites devoted to 'being men' along with a renaissance of leather luggage makers, men's clothing, our pursuit and just about everything else to feed our inner Walter Mitty . I happen to approve of the spinoff industries. Indeed, my earlier penchant for quality helps surviving. NOBODY hassles a man carrying two 55 gallon sacks of beer cans to the recycling center on foot for 30 minutes each way dressed better than they are!
I too, have settled into a few favoured items. I still want a ivory coloured soap dish to match razor and brush handles. I mean, what would Mr Monk or the Earl of Grantham say? The curious thing though, I still discover new items I want to try and will. I turned 60 last year; walked around for a week like a man with his fly at half mast plotting to shoot up the main lobby at AARP and this hearing aid company for sending unsolicited junk mail (Smith and Wesson 45 colt calilbre revolver.) One of the cashiers at Trader Joe's gave me a kiss and hug ' damn, you give the best compliments. I wish I was 20 years older.' She said I smelled nice- my very last splash of Woods of Windsor RIP.
I like change. I like tradition. I like stability and adventure.What I REALLY like are redheads.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Aaahh, the voice of calm and wisdom amidst chaos. I had forgotten your preference for redheads!
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

KAV, Wait till you turn 80 and see what reactions you get. People hold doors open, smile knowingly, and pay no attention to what you say. Reduced to one of "them". If it wasn't for my fellow octogenarians it would be intolerable. I still enjoy the same pleasures you do (well most of them) and take pleasure in this shaving ritual. I also roast my own coffees from all over the world and make fabulous espressos. Not quite ready for the funny farm.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Just moved to the farm myself, out in the country anyway, and am patiently waiting for the humor to appear.
Regards,
Squire
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

That's funny Squire! :lol:
Ron