I made some chili

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
brothers

I made some chili

Post by brothers »

Nothing elaborate, I didn't really make it. But it's really good. That's the whole point, right? It seems there is a local meat market that's been around for somewhere around a hundred years or something like that. They sell a great commercial grocery store or hot dog stand chili, just like a lot of other companies, and I've always liked it. I also have a big jar of a dry salsa mix my son gave me. The salsa is made by adding a tablespoon of the dry mix to a can of crushed or diced tomatos, and it's good. I was hungry one day and stopped at the grocery store which is never a good idea, but it worked this particular day. I got a can of diced tomatoes, a can of wolf brand chili with beans (I've always like Wolf brand chili). A can of pinto beans, and a block of the refrigerated chili I mentioned above. Took 'em home, made the salsa, then added the other stuff and stuck it in the microwave and heated it up. Next time my workplace or other group has a chili cook-off, I'm going to win. Tested it on my wife, and she likes it too. Stuff like jalapenos or other spices are optional with the person who happens to be eating it. Like I said, it's a guy thing. Why make it complicated? (The commercial chili is made by Schwab & company in OKC and I have no connection to them other than loving their chili and all the other stuff they make, like smoked hams. I did meet the currrent owner, Mr. Schwab, a descendent of the original Mr. Schwab one time when I bought a case of chili for a social gathering.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Re: I made some chili

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm salivating. I love tasty chili and I don't care how it was assembled.

Gary, would you like "my" favorite chili recipes? One is mine the other is a friends. They aren't difficult to make and at least one is something like you've never had before. It's really something that the pioneers with their Conestoga wagons would have cooked on the trail. (they had no tomatoes and such)

I can post here, but I don't want to hijack your thread.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Here's an update on my on-again off-again long-term search for a straightforward and delicious homemade chili. My wife works hard on her day job, and occasionally she likes to unwind in the evening by browsing certain social media for recipes, etc. She came up with a good one for something called "stuffed pepper soup". She made a nice pot of it, and it was a delicious soup.

As I was eating the last of it for lunch the day after, it occurred to me that it would make a great chili, with only two or three simple tweaks with the ingredients. There is nothing processed, unusual, expensive, or exotic. It's all commonly available natural ingredients. I consulted with my wife beforehand, and with her expert advice, I am happy to report that it's a great chili. I'm going to keep practicing on my family over the next few months, now that cooler weather has descended upon us. After a few trial runs, I'll start looking for opportunities to share the goodness through chili cookoffs and extended social gatherings. I'll post the final recipe here soon.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting. My beef and bean burrito filling was modified from a chili recipe and it works fine.

Did I ever give you my recipes? I simply can't remember.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm currently working on cooking chili in the oven which actually works rather well.
Regards,
Squire
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Squire wrote:I'm currently working on cooking chili in the oven which actually works rather well.
It would work great - things to check in the oven compared to your other version are how "wet" you make the chili initially, how tightly you cover it (does it need to be tightly covered with foil, just the pot lid, etc), and of course temperature, though chili is quite forgiving with temperature as long as you're "in the ballpark".
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Sounds fantastic, Gary. There are few greater subtle pleasures than smelling chili simmering away in the Dutch oven on a cold day. Our family recipe relies on Bloemer's chili powder for its kick. The stuff is basically impossible to find outside of the Louisville KY area so I stock up whenever we visit.
Regards,
Mike