Olympus e-620

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
jww
Woolly Bully

Olympus e-620

Post by jww »

When I dove into a proper DSLR, I didn't want to be going with anything that was too bulky --- and 7 years ago, DSLRs were pretty bulky feeling to me (save the Nikon D40, which I nearly bought, but then shied away from). After handling just about everything in the entry-to-mid-level camera range, I landed on the e-620. Yes, it has some of the issues of the early FourThirds cameras, yes it's got that Olympus funny-ness, but it sure felt right in my hands -- a camera I knew I would use.

We were away this past weekend in Boston, and stopped in at Orchard House as well as Minuteman National Historic Park ..... I took only a few snaps, but wanted to share all the same. It was a cruddy grey day, but the visits were well worth it.

Nothing to Chris' standards, but thought I'd share in the spirit of, well, sharing.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Olympus e-620

Post by drmoss_ca »

Nice, Wendell. Keep it up.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Araner

Post by Araner »

Great stuff, Wendell, please do share often.

All the best,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Looks good to me!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks all.

Since owning my first digital camera - a Canon G3 (fabulous first digicam, btw), I have never been into editing my photos. Perhaps it's my throw-back to film where I lived with the results I created with exposure and lighting. A friend of mine is currently into HDR -- absolutely everything he shoots and posts about is always in that vein. While it's cool looking stuff, I have never found HDR to look very natural -- but do get the interest that people have in doing that kind of thing. I guess this is why I am find Chris' pics so enjoyable.
Wendell

Gene

Post by Gene »

Wendell I agree with you about editing digital photos.

I prefer to set the shot as best I can with the camera and let the result stand for itself.

That being said - my first DSLR (Canon 20D) had what I now consider only a fair Auto White Balance. Most of my images came out too cool (I learned about 2 months ago that means blue tinged, BTW). My Sony NEX 5 was better, still not what I thought I should see. So - post-shot processing is needed for those older shots.

Shooting with the Nikon D90 (yes, an older 12 MP camera, but still fabulous for what I want it for) I set WB myself, and I have two setting I use - one for people, one for everything else. In those setting files I tweak saturation and sharpening a bit over "standard" and I look at them in Picasa for any final touches they might need.

Even then - the greens in your flower shot are fabulous...as is the focus. Very nice.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gene wrote:... - the greens in your flower shot are fabulous...as is the focus. Very nice.
Yes, I am a sucker for Olympus colours ...... The flower shot was in macro, pretty standard stuff really, I set the WB for cloudy conditions, got in really close. Who says that FourThirds doesn't do depth of field, eh?

I just ordered a new TG-3 for my pocket ---- we haven't had pocket cameras for a good few years -- not since I replaced my wife's old Canon whatsit with an Oly Pen, which she loves. We spend a fair bit of time at the ocean and I wanted something that I didn't have to constantly worry about when we were at the beach with family, etc. I also wanted something weather-proof for our England trip in October without shelling out for a new OM (which I absolutely would love to own). The TG-3 had the best overall package for me --- I get that the IQ will be off somewhat as that's a trade-off with weatherproof cameras --- however, the brighter lens and accessories appealed to me more than the standard waterproof pocket-ables did.

I hope to have it prior to our leaving for Maine in 2 weeks -- in fact, if it comes in before Monday morning, I'll probably take it with me on a work trip to Halifax to muddle about with it in the evenings while there is still decent light.
Wendell

Gene

Post by Gene »

If I had the money I would look at the Fuji X100S. Very nice - great lens, too.

or - the Fuji X-Pro 1. Viewfinder, with exchangeable lenses - and the reviews on the X-type lenses are good.

But - sadly - big bucks (for me).
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I admit that I do like the new things Fuji have been doing .... unlike the Porsche designed 6800Z which was actually quite an advancement in digital cameras with the Fuji SuperCCD sensor but a pain to use as a photographer. It felt generally awful in the hands. Luckily that fad didn't last long.
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

A descendant of your Olympus, the OMD EM5, 45mm/f1.8:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Love Oly colours.

Here's a quick one this morning from "our" beach with my T3.
Attachments
P8250034_V_sm.jpg
P8250034_V_sm.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
Wendell