Baker's Dozen

Need help with a process of wetshaving? Wanna see pics or videos? Here is your Mecca!
Araner

Baker's Dozen

Post by Araner »

I was digging through some of my older stuff and thought it would be fun to post up 13 of my favorites.

I hope you enjoyed.

Best regards,
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Baker's Dozen

Post by Squire »

I do enjoy Mike, thanks.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Mike -- Nice shots as always .... I like you style with street photography. Not something I have ever been any good at.

I'd be interested in understanding what you like most about your "Baker's Dozen".
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote: .... I like you style with street photography.
You do seem to have an interesting perspective that brings out the life in the city, which I enjoy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I enjoyed them, Mike. :)

The Datsun Fairlady (?: 1600 or 2000 in the US; I can no longer tell between the two from the photo) brings back memories.

- Murray
Araner

Post by Araner »

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post such nice comments. While I take pictures for my own enjoyment it’s always nice to get comments and feedback from others.

Wendall, it’s hard to specifically say why each is a favorite; it’s just a matter of things coming together and having an image that stands out from the others. I can tell you the things in general that I think makes an image that I like.

I like people, especially when I can capture them displaying some emotion. If you can look at a picture of people and think “I bet I know what they’re thinking” or “I wonder what they’re thinking” and especially if the picture can convey the sense of happiness; all the better. And, I like to take pictures of people in natural settings, as opposed to posed pictures. That’s not to say that I don’t like looking at other people’s portraiture; I thoroughly enjoy looking at Dr. Moss’s portraits of his family, friends and co-workers.

I like lines. Leading lines; lines that draw your view from one part of the image to another. Most lines are manmade, such as the architectural lines created from buildings, bridges, fences, streets, sidewalks, poles, power lines, etc… Also the natural lines of rivers, trees, horizons, and things like that.

I like color! The beautiful colors of natural things like flowers, sunsets, fruits, trees, clouds in a beautiful blue sky, the ocean, rivers, mountains, the list goes on… I also like manmade colors such as a beautifully painted house, a red brick building, boats, trains, etc.

I try to avoid taking pictures of signs unless the sign is so interesting or adds so much to the meaning of the entire image that it is just begging to have it’s picture taken. And, I like repetitive geographical shapes like a row of Buddhist statues or carvings decorating the side of a temple or shrine.

Lastly what I don’t take pictures of are people in bad situations. I don’t do homeless people and people in compromising situations. I don’t want even the slightest hint of meanness in any of my images.

So, anyway, that’s pretty much what goes into my thought process when I’m out and about with my camera.

All the best,
Mike
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Araner wrote:... I don’t want even the slightest hint of meanness in any of my images. ...
This shows in all your shots. It's nice when your mantra shows so brightly in your work.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, seeing your comments explains a lot about your camera work.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I agree Mike, candid shots are best, always in a flattering manner.
Regards,
Squire