Nancy Boy products

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Nancy Boy products

Post by brothers »

Maybe not so popular around these parts these days, but I assure you there are thousands of posts here on SMF regarding Nancy Boy products. I got my first tub about 5 years ago, and unfortunately (for me) our two daughters confiscated every single tub I've ever bought, to the point that the last time I ordered two tubs, it was only to give it to them without any pretext it was going to be mine. :D Anyway, now that our nest is empty, so to speak, I'm trying again. Yesterday's mail brought 4 bars of bath soap (Signature, Invigorating, Sweet Grass and Blossomwood) and two tubs of shaving cream, one Signature, and one Blossomwood. Five years ago I reviewed 23 shaving creams here on SMF (scroll down to review # 7) and Nancy Boy was one of them. It turns out it's excellent with or without a brush, and that makes it special, as if excellent performance and fragrance didn't already make it special. In due time I'm looking forward to using these great products. One thing for sure, it isn't a fluke, and it deserves serious consideration. By the way, the company's webpage mentions ShaveMyFace as one of the top wetshaving internet forums, and whose members have been known to endorse the company's products.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Nancy Boy products

Post by drmoss_ca »

The sweet grass bath soap is excellent. Very hard and lasts a long time. I've no objection to the shaving cream, other than the somewhat odd smell of the original. The cucumber is certainly unusual, but pleasant. Both work well as far as I recall. It's been over a year since I used anything other than homemade shaving soap, so that's all from memory! My only beef is that they won't ship to Canada, except if I beg Eric by e-mail.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Wow, five years since those reviews, Gary. A great reference, much used. Maybe next month I'll finally get around to ordering some more NB products. Looking forward to the Sweetgrass.
Ron
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

One of my all time favorite shaving creams. The soaps are also exceptionally nice.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

I don't use creams these days, but of all the creams I've tried, NB Blossomwood is my favorite. Performance-wise, it is outstanding.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
rbaloha

Post by rbaloha »

Completely agree. NB products are pricey but high quality.

Recently purchased NB products which included: shaving cream, shampoo and conditioner, bath soaps and laundry soap.

The sensitive shave cream has an odd scent from the cucumbers. Provides a nice shave but not necessarily better than other products assuming the shaver prepares face properly and uses a good shaver.

The shampoo and conditioner provide a good clean along with moisturizing hair. Live in a high humidity environment -- hair is not limp or frizzy due to these products.

The laundry soap is outstanding. Softens and cleans exceedingly well. Bath soap is big. Softens up your face beautifully.
brothers

Post by brothers »

We recently enjoyed a few days with relatives in another state, and for our hotel stay I took my Nancy Boy Signature shaving cream and the Jagger STF synthetic XL brush. I confess it had been so long since I used Nancy Boy shaving cream I had totally forgotten how good it is. Lathers great and to my nose, the scent is quite good. I'm going to start using both of these shaving products a lot more often. That's one big drawback to having too many of a good thing. Now that I've greatly reduced my "stuff" I'll be able to use these more often.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Time has passed, and after a few soaps/creams the time has come to spend about 3 weeks with the Nancy Boy creams. But before I get to those, I'm going to take just a few days off to try out some different creams and maybe a new Sandalwood soap I just got. Castle Forbes made me realize it's been an error to virtually ignore shaving creams in favor of soaps. That means I've got six creams in the rotation before getting back to the soaps. I'm really looking forward to the next few months.

PS: there really have been a large number of topics and posts about the Nancy Boy products here in SMF from a few years ago. You might get a kick out of running an advanced search of the SMF archives. I'm just sayin' :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Tomorrow and several more days Nancy Boy Blossomwood shaving cream will be my go-to cream. Nice mild fragrance and outstanding performance. The NB website says they are selling as much Blossomwood as Signature.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday I made the mistake of using too little shaving cream, not so today. Made sure to get enough this time, and it was outstanding, just like I wanted.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Dang it! Today I used more cream, but carelessly started out with too much water. I've got to start paying more attention. :oops:
Gary

soweczka

Post by soweczka »

not sure about these products.
brothers

Post by brothers »

soweczka wrote:not sure about these products.
They seem to be of good quallity. At least the ones I've used.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Nancy Boy Signature scented shaving cream has come back around, and I really do like using it. It seems to be a natural for the big synthetic brush. I'm hoping to use up the entire 6 ounce tub before moving on to the next.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

What I like about using the same stuff for days/weeks on end is that I get time to figure out how much product to use to get what I want out of it. That happened today with the Nancy Boy. Intentionally used a bit more cream and a bit less water in the lather bowl, and it worked out great.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Gary, I subscribe to this principle also. I like to use one product for an extended period of time to increase familiarity with the subtleties of its performance characteristics.

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning I went a little crazy and decided to face-lather the Nancy Boy instead of using the bowl. Made sure to use an abundantly ample amount of this great "brushless" shaving cream, then I used the Monster Plissoft synthetic brush on it. Made plenty of lather (stored in the brush rather than the bowl) for a full 3 passes. All I had to do in order to relather my face between passes was to add a small tap-shot of water directly onto the brush and lather up. This was an eye-opener. I might consider doing this again. Soon. :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Following up - I've face-lathered the Nancy Boy Signature every single day since I went crazy. I'm using up the whole tub from start to finish, and it should last somewhere around 50 daily shaves or thereabouts before it eventually runs out in the next few weeks. I think the big synthetic brush is a major contributor to my newly discovered shaving breakthrough. :) The breakthrough to which I am referring is face-lathering.
Gary

mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

Nancy Boy creams are indeed great products. I am not a big fan of brushless products, but Nancy Boy works extremely well with a brush. I read many of the old posts on this site and decided to give this cream a try. I ordered both scents, received them in two days with gifted shave balm sample!!!!!! Very pleased with shaving results---ease of creating lather with a brush, slickness, after shave skin condition, just an all around great product with top notch service. I'm hooked!
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

The NB Signature shaving cream provided 68 shaves from start to finish. Slick and protective. Not too expensive. Two thumbs up!
Gary