New to the forum...just wanted to say Hi

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
NiceRack

New to the forum...just wanted to say Hi

Post by NiceRack »

I just wanted to introduce myself to the members here at SMF. Im fairly new to wet shaving, and this hobby turned into an obsession in only 8 months. I'm an active duty AF guy, who currently serves an an avionics tech school instructor at Sheppard AFB. I have made it one of my missions to convert and inspire the next generation of wet shavers. I have been in over 11 years, and really wish someone had introduced me to this sooner. So in order to convert new guys, I put together starter sets and allow my students to try shaving "old school" as they call it. I love it when they come back saying "I'm never going back to cartridge razors." I consider that mission accomplished. I just hate watching them throw what little money they make down the drain on expensive carts, not to mention seeing the irritation and razor burn all over their faces from poor gear.

I have also combined my love for shaving with my hobby of wood working. I have seen a lot of shaving den photos with nice collections of razors that are simply in a mug or scattered around the sink. Because I think our collections should be displayed with pride, I make custom wooden racks for.razors and brushes. Im always looking to help guys out, so if you are interested in having a rack or shelf made, just shoot me a PM. In most cases, I simply trade the rack for more shaving gear that I can use to help convert students. So that a little bit of my story, I look forward to meeting some new people, and learning som new things here on the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read my into
JR
"If you love what you do for a living, you will never work a day in your life"
-JR-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: New to the forum...just wanted to say Hi

Post by Squire »

Welcome aboard JR, pleased to meet you.
Regards,
Squire
pausted

Post by pausted »

Nice to meet you, JR. Thanks for your service.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello JR! Thanks for joining SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
NiceRack

Post by NiceRack »

Thank you gentlemen for the warm welcome..I appreciate it.
-JR-
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Welcome sir, and as it's been said already thank you for your service to our country.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Welcome to SMF! You'll fit right in.

Thanks for fighting the fight.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, JR! Thanks for your service to our country and to the next generation of traditional wetshavers!

Would you be able to post photos of any of the racks you have made? It would be great to see them.

- Murray
NiceRack

Post by NiceRack »

What do I need to do in order to post pictures into the gallery? I wasnt able to find the "my gallery" option.
-JR-
brothers

Post by brothers »

A year ago when the old platform was abandoned and the new current SMF2 installed, the gallery was deactivated, at least for adding photos. The existing pictures are still available for viewing, but new ones can't be added. There are a number of free imaging websites available. My personal choice was Postimage.com, and I find it works fine for my purposes. I do have to make sure to crop and/or resize my photos to 800 pixels or less when I add them to my SMF posts. This seems to work quite well, so far.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Welcome aboard and good shaving to you JR !
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome to SMF.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

JR, welcome to SMF.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy