An Unusual Plisson

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: An Unusual Plisson

Post by Squire »

Nice looking brush Stan, definitely not run of the mill.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Stan, Interesting. I'm glad that you finally chimed in on this thread. If you got the #12 I have new, then was it too 'scritchy' at first? And if so, how long did it take for that trait to wear off? My #14 EW was most definitely that way when new and it took quite a while to become entirely soft on the face. Today it is very comfy. I agree with Squire, a most unusual and interesting specimen that you have there; I don't think I've ever seen one or even seen a photo of one.
Regards,
Gordon
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Gordon, I just don't recall what the brush you now have was like when new. I have another EW size 12 (not plexi) that is also very different from the Plexi 10, more of a bulb shaped knot, a little denser packed, and not as darkly banded. It is very soft-tipped now, but again, I don't recall how it was new. It was interesting to me, that the instructions that came with the plexi EW 10 are so different from what Simpsons advises: "brush in circular movements...apply the foam to a wet face and massage gently...after use...shake off the excess water and leave to dry with the "head" facing downwards." I've only used my new brush a few times, but so far it seems to do well with both creams and soaps. Also, the scratchiness seems a little less than initially.

Regards,
Stan
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Stan, Well, if you notice a difference already than I'd assume that the 'scritchyness' will wear off fairly rapidly. Yes, they suggest a circular lathering motion as do Trumper and Taylor's actually. When I asked Gary Young about that he said that the folks at Simpson had tried to convince them of the impropriety of lathering that way but that those barbering firms weren't having it ( chuckle ). Apparently, some other makers, like Thater I think, are also in the 'paint brush strokes' camp. I do think that at this point most of us agree that hanging a brush bristles downward is not really necessary even though most firms seem to favour it ( they also sell shave brush stands of course ).
Regards,
Gordon
Pc4406

Post by Pc4406 »

Just added a size 14 and a size 16 to make my Plexi trio. I haven't had a chance to use either, but am looking forward to that in the next few weeks. Both are 2 bands, unlike the size 12 that I already had. I suspect that both will be a bit stiff and scritchy at first, but will settle in due time. Buzz and Gordon, you made me a Plexi fan and I just had to share a picture.
image.jpg
image.jpg (44.81 KiB) Viewed 7913 times
Patrick
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ah, good things do come in threes.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I have only one...albeit a #24 in HMW. However, I believe your trifecta makes you chairman of the cult...we are at your service.

Buzz
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

At one time the Plisson HMW in plexi was my Holy Grail brush... I owned maybe 6 Plisson but no Plexi. Buzz's longevity with his is of course legendary.
Mike
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Antique Hoosier wrote:At one time the Plisson HMW in plexi was my Holy Grail brush... I owned maybe 6 Plisson but no Plexi. Buzz's longevity with his is of course legendary.
Legendary...? Maniacal...? Maniacal.

Buzz
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Patrick, VERY nice! I say though, that #12 appears to be a tad discolored....heavily colored shaving creams perhaps?...or just the photo? Anyway, a most impressive trio! Enjoy!
Regards,
Gordon
Pc4406

Post by Pc4406 »

I have three vintage Plissons, Gordon, and all exhibit the same type of yellowed tips. I don't know if it is from age, or creams or what. However, all have incredibly soft tips and a dark band that is more brown than black. And all are a treat to use.
Patrick
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Patrick, Interesting. I have one special run Rooney Finest that is a little bit like that. I wonder if this is what Lee Sabini is trying to convey when he uses the term 'blond badger' for some of his top end specimens? Anyway, you certainly seem to have all your bases covered when it comes to high end Plissons ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Well, I'm pretty new to this Forum, and although I've evidently heard of Plisson plexi before, I was unaware of the differences in knot specification, compared to other Plissons of that time with the same hair grade.

Could anyone please elaborate a bit more, perhaps further enabling my SBAD?
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

TheMonk wrote:Well, I'm pretty new to this Forum, and although I've evidently heard of Plisson plexi before, I was unaware of the differences in knot specification, compared to other Plissons of that time with the same hair grade.

The plexiglass handled brushes with black collars were set with an exceptional grade of High Mountain White badger. Search the forum to read the various encomia for this rare material. The white collared brushes were set with European white badger that differed from the HMW only in the color of the tips.

Rather than go on and on about the quality of these brushes, I do urge you to search the forum where they have been discussed at length.

Regarding SBAD, I suggest you direct your passion elsewhere. These brushes are not made any more and appear very rarely on the secondary market. They have become cult items beyond all reason; I should know, I have been a member of the cult for more than forty years. I know of a very large #22 or #24, I forget which, HMW plexi that recently changed hands for nearly US$2,000. Even as a collectors' item, no brush is worth that kind of money. For the price of one plexiglass Plisson, you could buy like eight or ten Simpson silvertips.

Buzz
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

M6Classic wrote:
TheMonk wrote:Well, I'm pretty new to this Forum, and although I've evidently heard of Plisson plexi before, I was unaware of the differences in knot specification, compared to other Plissons of that time with the same hair grade.

The plexiglass handled brushes with black collars were set with an exceptional grade of High Mountain White badger. Search the forum to read the various encomia for this rare material. The white collared brushes were set with European white badger that differed from the HMW only in the color of the tips.

Rather than go on and on about the quality of these brushes, I do urge you to search the forum where they have been discussed at length.

Regarding SBAD, I suggest you direct your passion elsewhere. These brushes are not made any more and appear very rarely on the secondary market. They have become cult items beyond all reason; I should know, I have been a member of the cult for more than forty years. I know of a very large #22 or #24, I forget which, HMW plexi that recently changed hands for nearly US$2,000. Even as a collectors' item, no brush is worth that kind of money. For the price of one plexiglass Plisson, you could buy like eight or ten Simpson silvertips.

Buzz
Thank you for your detailed explanation, Buzz, I appreciate it. I have been reading all concerning threads on this topic in the forum, only to find that there really seems to be some love for those Plisson Plexi brushes around here. It does look to be a very interesting brush, maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to try one, who knows... Certainly not for $2K. :shock:

On a side note, It has always intrigued me a bit to see how the holy grail brushes vary from shaving forum to shaving forum - despite all of them usually being very capable brushes.
David

M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

TheMonk wrote: Thank you for your detailed explanation, Buzz, I appreciate it. I have been reading all concerning threads on this topic in the forum, only to find that there really seems to be some love for those Plisson Plexi brushes around here. It does look to be a very interesting brush, maybe someday I'll have the opportunity to try one, who knows... Certainly not for $2K. :shock:

On a side note, It has always intrigued me a bit to see how the holy grail brushes vary from shaving forum to shaving forum - despite all of them usually being very capable brushes.
I can't say just what is the consensus grail brush among Shave My Face Subscribers, there are many, many candidates. Yet there is definitely a cult of Plexi Plisson owners. In fact, the few of us who own them will twice a year retreat to the Bohemian Grove to beat drums and chant. :roll: :D

Humor aside, they are indeed very special brushes and were special even before they became unobtainable. It isn't only the hair, the exceptional mechanics of these brushes and the odd shape formed by the wet knot allow one to whip up oceans of lather from any soap or cream and apply all of the lather to your face. Also, I used a #20 HMW exclusively for my daily shave for more than thirty years.

Buzz
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

M6Classic wrote:
TheMonk wrote: I can't say just what is the consensus grail brush among Shave My Face Subscribers, there are many, many candidates. Yet there is definitely a cult of Plexi Plisson owners. In fact, the few of us who own them will twice a year retreat to the Bohemian Grove to beat drums and chant. :roll: :D

Humor aside, they are indeed very special brushes and were special even before they became unobtainable. It isn't only the hair, the exceptional mechanics of these brushes and the odd shape formed by the wet knot allow one to whip up oceans of lather from any soap or cream and apply all of the lather to your face. Also, I used a #20 HMW exclusively for my daily shave for more than thirty years.

Buzz
You say you aren't, but you are enabling my SBAD, Sir... :twisted: Who knows, maybe I'll be able to find one of these for a "decent" price someday. I'd certainly love to give it a go, and see what it's all about. I currently have on order a Plisson horn HMW size 16, so perhaps this may provide a general idea of the characteristics of the Plisson HWM hair, even though I do understand the knot will behave differently than the Plexi.
So far I'd have to say my favorite brush is probably my Rooney Finest 3/2, although my CH3 Manchurian really has been making a case for himself lately.
David

Pc4406

Post by Pc4406 »

And they are back. Plisson is now showing on their web site, Plexi Cristal handles sized from 10 to 20 in what appears to be 2 band EW. They are identified as a "new" product.
Patrick
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Pc4406 wrote:And they are back. Plisson is now showing on their web site, Plexi Cristal handles sized from 10 to 20 in what appears to be 2 band EW. They are identified as a "new" product.
Oh my. I really don't need another Plisson Plexi, but it is very tempting. It also seems their Ivory brushes are definitely gone.
David

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I finally managed to score my holiest of holy grails, an NOS vintage (sticker had to be replaced) Plisson Plexiglass HWM, Size 18:

Here it is with a Chubby 2 2-Band Silvertip, for size and hair comparison purposes:

David