What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Re: What are you reading?

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:You can obviously check IMDB, but I heard that it wasn't that good. Relatively speaking, however, the only way of knowing is to bring it up on Netflix or Hulu and give it a go.
I can do that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My favorite scene from the series is when the Mayles received two bottles of wine as a gift from a local vigneron in appreciation of a good turn from them. They were aware the wine was highly regarded and produced in very limited quantities but as Mayle was unimpressed generally with "flash wines" they uncorked a bottle on the terrace for an afternoon glass.

Then after a few sips "redolent of violets" emptied their glasses back into the bottle to be carefully sealed and put away for a special occasion.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Too many favourite scenes for me --- who cares what critics say -- if you like something it really doesn't matter what others think.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

I just read Stephen Sears's "Gettysburg" for the second time. Actually, I read about half of it a few years ago but life intervened and I never finished it. I picked it up again earlier this year and began about where I left off (sometime on Day 2), then decided to simultaneously read it again from the beginning. Doing so brought back to mind details I had read but forgotten, and highlighted some things to which I had previously not paid sufficient attention. I have to hand it to Sears: in only ~500 pages he did a good job explaining this complicated campaign. I would have liked to see another hundred pages for him to further elucidate some aspects, such as Lee's retreat and Meade's pursuit.

Started "The Weed Agency: A Comic Tale of Federal Bureaucracy Without Limits" by Jim Geraghty. Pretty good so far, but I fear it's a too accurate portrayal of how much of the US federal government works. It reminds me of the British TV series "Yes, Minister".
-Ed
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

THE SECRET HISTORY OF MI6 by Keith Jeffrey. I LOVE Foyle's War and trying to keep up with the history and issues it covers.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just finished McCullough's 1776. This is the second of his books which I have read, John Adams being the first. Excellent book, well written, well researched and an all-round great read.

Now onto Nathaniel Philbrick's Bunker Hill: A City, A Seige, A Revolution. This will be the second of Philbrick's books for me, having read his Heart of the Sea some years back. Been into American revolution history lately and rather enjoying it.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Plague Ship
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Bunker Hill done - now onto All The Light We Cannot See. I stumbled upon in in a Books a Million store while in southern Maine last week, purchased it on Kobo, and am having a very hard time putting it down ... it's outstanding, and very different from what I expected, in a very good way. The setting is occupied France during WWII and how some lives cross each other. Simply fascinating to read, and some of the best descriptive prose that has ever crossed my eyes. Marvelous!
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, may I recommend a followup? "Suite Française" about the German occupation of France, a book with a most interesting backstory that went undiscovered for decades. I found it fascinating. A movie is forthcoming.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:Wendell, may I recommend a followup? "Suite Française" about the German occupation of France, a book with a most interesting backstory that went undiscovered for decades. I found it fascinating. A movie is forthcoming.
Thx Jim. Sounds interesting. Think I am gonna actually read a PDJames next, as we will be in England in a few weeks and it will help put me in the mood. Not that I need to be put in the mood, but you get the drill, I think.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Kyle76 wrote:Wendell, may I recommend a followup? "Suite Française" about the German occupation of France, a book with a most interesting backstory that went undiscovered for decades. I found it fascinating. A movie is forthcoming.
I'm going to see if this one's available at the library or Kindle. Sounds like something I will enjoy.
Gary

Barry

Post by Barry »

Beyond Death Anxiety by Firestone and Catlett

Fans of Ernest Becker would enjoy this book.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys are giving some interesting recommendations.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Regarding "Suite Française," this NY Times review might pique your interest or at least provide some information about the book, which has a remarkable history.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/books ... d=all&_r=0
Jim
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I just scored two finds in my apartment dumpster; Sir Richard Burtons' THE BOOK OF THE SWORD and a lovely edition of his 1001 ARABIAN NIGHTS !
Two oldies, but Pye and I reposed on my Persian rug, Rimsky-Korsakov's SHEHERAZADE on CD ,frankincense burning and drinking mint tea for an hour.
I even placed my Kindjal knife at our side in case of any unwarranted intrusion.
Is this a 'multimedia event?'
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jim, the review was well done, and thanks for finding and posting the link. I should get the book and watch the movie. Right now, the first thing I should do is write down the author's name and the name of the book, because if I don't, well, we know how that usually works out.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Chris, as a big fan of Sir Richard Burton, I've also written down the 2 works you mentioned. I've probably seen them before, but nobody's ever accused me of having a photographic memory.

I'm getting into the habit of checking Amazon for Kindle books before ebay or the library.
Gary

KAV

Post by KAV »

Gary, I was at the Huntington Library. I mentioned to a docent how much I loved his lifestory. She ushered me into the collections and I was allowed to see- not touch, their collection of 1st editions. Most of his books went unsold. He was infamous for massive footnoting and making references in multiple languages. They are treasure troves of ethnological information.
The book on his Haj is an incredible read. The Kama Sutra and Perfumed Garden still raise eyebrows ( I have them on hand when assorted religious proselytizers come knocking)
brothers

Post by brothers »

A Year In Provence by Peter Mayle - thanks to those who recommended it. I've also got Suite Francaise on the Kindle, ready to go when the time comes.
Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

If you are remotely neuro-atypical, you might have a good laugh at 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simsion. It even makes chemo fun.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace