Pocket Knife Blades

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
TorzJohnson

Post by TorzJohnson »

With Case knives, you face a tough choice when it comes to blade steels. The pretty-looking knives generally have Case Tru-Sharp steel, which is a stainless steel that resists rust well and looks very nice for collector knives, but is not known for edge-holding.

The Yellow Delrin and some Amber Bone Case knives generally use Chrome Vanadium steel, which is a carbon steel that will hold an edge a lot longer, but is prone to rust if you don't take care of it. It will develop a patina over time which may not look pretty but helps prevent further rusting. Also, the yellow handles are a lot easier to find if you drop them in high grass.
Jim

DEF

Post by DEF »

Jim --

If I ever get another, I'll go with a medium yellow-handled Stockman. I jumped on the whittler because it was the only one in the shop, from what I could tell.

I thought the stainless held an edge well, but was harder to sharpen. I guess I'll have to get good at honing.
Doug
Naughtius Maximus

Post by Naughtius Maximus »

Make your son the envy of the Cub Scout Den. Every Cub will want to be your boy. "How," you ask?

One word...Ka-bar.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.js ... y/Tactical
73's, Eric

"I solder, therefore I burn myself." - Anon
DEF

Post by DEF »

They don't do the tac-ops merit badge until Webelos. :lol:
Doug
DEF

Post by DEF »

Update with photos:

Ben's Stockman in the back, my Whittler in the front.

A closer look at the bone handles. From a branding standpoint, I think Case has way too many variations on their badges. That one looks like the Chevy bowtie.

I also got a Kershaw Oso Sweet, a Ken Onion design. It's a basic 3-in. folder in AUS6 with assisted opening from an internal torsion mechanism. I wanted a new folder to replace some skeletonized piece of junk I've had for years. I went to Sports Authority looking for the Gerber Gator II folder, but they only had the folder in combo edge or plain with guthook. I spotted this one and thought it was about the right combination of usefulness and ease of carry -- even if it does remind me of a Nutter Butter cookie.

I still want a good 3-3.5 in fixed-blade knife, and am looking at everything from the RAT RC-3 to the Gerber Gator II fixed to the Buck Diamondback Outfitter. Once I research the steels I should be able to narrow it down. Then, for wood processing, I want to get the Ka-Bar Large Heavy Bowie. Finally, to give myself the option of loading out a single, all-purpose blade, I'd like to get a 6-7 inch fixed blade knife like the Ka-Bar Combat, the Cold Steel SRK, or a similar all-rounder. Pair that up with the Bahco Laplander folding saw, and I should be able to avoid carting in a hatchet.[/url]
Doug
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Those are handsome knives, Doug!

Congratulations on a good choice and enjoy them.

- Murray
Adeptus_Minor

Post by Adeptus_Minor »

Very good choice. :D

Have fun with the pocket knife training.
First lesson... when working with a non-locking knife, don't get your fingers snapped between the blade and handle. :wink:
A chin / Where barbed wire / Bristles stand / Is bound to be / A no ma'ams land / Burma-Shave
shizuo

Re: Pocket Knife Blades

Post by shizuo »

I really envy people who has knives because of I buy 1 my wife will get mad at me and thinks that I'm into a bad stuff.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome to SMF, Shizuo!

Sorry to hear that your wife doesn't like knives. Hopefully, she doesn't mind an interest in traditional wetshaving. :)

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Shizuo, welcome aboard. Guess a straight razor is out of the question then.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a few pocket knives, Buck I think. Used to carry one all the time just because. Now, I never carry one because society has deemed people with knives as dangerous lunatics. :(
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I used to carry a handy gentleman's pocket knife every day, just like my father did. Then, they started searching you at the airport. Then, they put a metal detector at the courthouse. Then, they put metal detectors at high school sporting events. It just became too much of a pain.
Jim
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

When I was a kid, we could carry a pocket knife to school. Even more, I remember a kid in the second grade who brought a sword to school for show-and-tell, and he strutted around the playground wearing the thing on his belt during recess!

Times have changed.

- Murray
Araner

Post by Araner »

As a wine drinker I never want to be anywhere without a cork screw and I have always been a pocket knife carrier. I don’t like heavy bulky knives so the Swiss Army “Waiter” was the perfect knife for me. Simple, lightweight, compact, with the two essential items I require: cork screw and a blade. The bottle opener/screw driver comes in handy too!

Regards,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:When I was a kid, we could carry a pocket knife to school. Even more, I remember a kid in the second grade who brought a sword to school for show-and-tell, and he strutted around the playground wearing the thing on his belt during recess!

Times have changed.

- Murray
I took my bb gun to show and tell in 3rd grade.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:
CMur12 wrote:When I was a kid, we could carry a pocket knife to school. Even more, I remember a kid in the second grade who brought a sword to school for show-and-tell, and he strutted around the playground wearing the thing on his belt during recess!

Times have changed.

- Murray
I took my bb gun to show and tell in 3rd grade.
Those were the days, weren't they, Gary. :D

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, it seems that things don't appear to be going as well as originally planned. :D
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Araner wrote:As a wine drinker I never want to be anywhere without a cork screw and I have always been a pocket knife carrier. I don’t like heavy bulky knives so the Swiss Army “Waiter” was the perfect knife for me. Simple, lightweight, compact, with the two essential items I require: cork screw and a blade. The bottle opener/screw driver comes in handy too!

Regards,
Mike
Since we're showing, I have a Victorinox Hunstman. It was given to me at Christmas by my wife the year I became a scoutmaster many years ago. I had an accident with it less than 3 hours after it coming into my possession --- 5 stitches, a nearly severed tendon in my forefinger on my left hand, and an hour and a half in emergency. It was Christmas Day -- no one was coming in. There is more to the story, but my family has never let me forget it.

Not a huge knife by any stretch -- but a very useful and solid tool by all accounts. One of the side plates chipped and became loose about 5 years ago and Victorinox replaced it free of charge.

Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kyle76 wrote:Then, they put a metal detector at the courthouse. . . . It just became too much of a pain.
Due to frequent Court visits I even quit wearing a watch.
Regards,
Squire
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

There is but one logical course of action with a knife hating woman. BUY HER ONE. there are several for the ladies. Just don't go the Barbie, Hello Kitty route.
There are so many knives out there it can be overwhelming.
A FUN website with some interesting knives is www.ragweedforge.com