Wedding scent suggestions please

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Wedding scent suggestions please

Post by Sam »

I have a credit at Neiman Marcus and decided that I need, or better yet, want, to get a scent for my daughter's wedding November 1st at Rosemary Beach, FL. I am tossing these in my head, choosing two will be hard

MFK Cologne pour le Soir
MFK Lumiere Noir pour Homme
Zegna Javanese Patchouli
Zegna Indonesian Oud
Tom Ford Black Orchid
I could consider Rose Anonyme by Atelier Cologne or their patchouli one, but I have had projection issues with this perfumer

I am thinking of the Lumiere and the Javanese (I love Coromandel but a little bit too sweet or heavy for what is expected to be 78% beach weather).

I am open to other NM suggestions, but I dont know much about Byredo or Monegal, but have smelled most of the TF and MFK and Zegna scents
EL Alamein

Re: Wedding scent suggestions please

Post by EL Alamein »

Sam, I have no suggestions but wanted to offer my congratulations. Whatever you choose you'll be fantastic, I'm sure.

Best to all,
Chris
Araner

Post by Araner »

You need a nice fatherly scent like Old Spice cologne.

Regards,
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on what chris said :D
de gustibus non est disputandum
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Lumiere- I was spritzed walking through a store today and FOR ONCE wasn't mad. Then I saw how much I couldn't afford it and REALLY got mad.
Old Spice? RE-A-LL-Y darlings, that is so common. [-X This is an uncommon day for Sam & daughter.
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I'm afraid I can't help you with your choices either... My own wedding fragrance was Sartorial, and I don't have children yet. :lol:
Either way, congratulations!
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
Araner

Post by Araner »

KAV wrote:Old Spice? RE-A-LL-Y darlings, that is so common. [-X This is an uncommon day for Sam & daughter.
Oh, KAV, it's a shame that you look down on the great American classic "Old Spice". A crisp autumn day, I stroll the avenue in a worldly way, knowing that I am scented as my father, my grandfather and his were scented, common as we are, we are also proud working folk; anointed in the fragrance of our forefathers youth. Yes, Old Spice, I can imagine Mark Twain, Abraham Lincoln, George Patton, and even John Wayne (yes, John Wayne) being fans of Old Spice. When I walked my daughter down the aisle, dressed in a tailor made navy blue suit, pink shirt, and navy blue silk tie, I was lightly scented with Old Spice cologne, and proudly so. Tradition, can be common, but it is tradition none the less. So, don't tread on me!

All the best,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, my response would be 90% identical to yours. :D
My Old Spice is on the shelf right next to some Mennen Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, English Fern, Sartorial, and Blenheim Bouquet.

One thing about Sam, he's into the high end fragrances, and his tastes in fragrances is pretty sophisticated. I'm going to be curious to hear which one he's going to decide on for this very special day.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thank you for the well wishes. I know I am going to get the Maison Frances Kurkdjian Lumiere Noir pour Homme - a rose scent. As far as the high end fragrances, I have few bottles of cologne so yes, kinda might be willing to spend more to get something that I love to smell on me.

edit:

Ordered today:

MFK Lumiere Noir pour Homme
Zegna Havanese Patchouli

Neiman Marcus Atlanta, and shoutout to Mack for handling this over the phone and he on his own said he would toss in samples.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Sam wrote:Thank you for the well wishes. I know I am going to get the Maison Frances Kurkdjian Lumiere Noir pour Homme - a rose scent.
Bravo. The Cologne pour le Soir is a bit of a fence-sitter - like the Absolue pour le Soir but it hasn't loosened its tie and kissed the girl yet. Someone said "If that's Kurkidjian's soir, God only knows what his Nuit is like" which I rather admire.

But calling the Lumiere Noir -- "Black Light" -- a "rose scent" is a bit like calling Mahler's 9th "a tune". 8) It's a masterpiece and the perfect thing for your daughter's wedding. Superb choice. (At my daughter's, I wore De Profundis, as a sort of joke -- you know, your child gets married and suddenly you're old and out-of-play. Still. It worked. For a month now I've been Wolfie's grandpapa and I'm besotted with the little fellow. Life is full of surprises.)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
brothers

Post by brothers »

Our grandchildren give us pure joy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I don't mean to start a blood feud or anything. But Old Spice for me is the family male's version of our family cooking. My mother has cookbooks so old they list how to prep a raccoon-seriously, and on to Pepin. And what gets cooked? A meatloaf that has remained unchanged and unchangeable since WW1 meat rationing. My 'bucket list' has more foods than travel and adventure; shallots, capers
Blue Stilton, leeks and more. I tried escargot in High School and my grandmother was convinced I had parasitic worms burrowing in my brain.
Tradition has it's place, but only on par with new ones.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey, congratulations Sam, my very best to the kids. Your giving this a good deal of thought, which is admirable, but I'm afraid I can't be much help. While sanguine about my son's upcoming wedding my choice of cologne will be whatever I feel like splashing on that morning.
Regards,
Squire
worthy_sam

Post by worthy_sam »

Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I did get the Kurkdjian Lumiere Noir pour Homme. A fine rose scent, great longevity and enough projection to be pleasant to me and those within an arms length. They sent me a generous sample of that Absolue pour Le Soir and wow, honey and beeswax and barnyard vibe going on. Repulsive and yet captivating at the same time and that one is a longevity and projection monster. I had tried the APOM in this line and preferred the women's version to the men's. I think I may have to find me some Le Labo Rose 31. I am drawn to that now, roses scents, instead of the birchtar and smoke of say Tauer L'air du Desert Morocain
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sam, I'm happy to hear it worked for you. Regarding Rose, I realize you're a bit advanced from Hammam, but I'm interested in your observations on that fragrance.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Hamman, or was it Blenheim, had a pine or fir tree sort of smell with it. Very Victorian I would imagine. I did not like either one when I tried Penhaligons years back, but then again, I was married and if my wife at the time did not like it, it surely clouded my opinion of the scent
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Well Sam, the plus is now you can wear whatever you like and with any luck someone new will like it as well.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Well Sam, the plus is now you can wear whatever you like and with any luck someone new will like it as well.
35 thumbs up to that idea, squire!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

fallingwickets wrote:
35 thumbs up to that idea, squire!

clive

Just 35 thumbs up? Well, I can see that, depends on what she looks like first.