Visiting New Orleans

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
a-cut-above

Visiting New Orleans

Post by a-cut-above »

I am going to New Orleans on business. Are there any shops that would be fun for wet shavers to visit?
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Visiting New Orleans

Post by Squire »

They're lots of shops that would be fun to visit, depending on your wont, but shaving not so much. If I were headed down one of my stops would be Bourbon French Parfums at 805 Royal St. Saks Fifth Avenue in Canal Place used to have a good selection of Creed colognes and Brooks Brothers is (or was) in the same center. In general though shaving stuff can be ordered cheaper online from knowledgeable vendors like Phil at Bullgoose or Charles at QED.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Aidan Gill for Men at 2026 Magazine St.and 550 Fulton St. http://www.aidangillformen.com/
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I purposely omitted Aidan Gill due to high prices and limited selection.
Regards,
Squire
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Thanks gents. Bourbon French Parfums looks interesting for after shaves and colognes, and of course a gift for my wife (better not forget). I agree with Squire re: Aiden Gill. From their website and reviews I think I'll pass (the prices and men's toiletries named "Spit Shine" are not my style :shock:)
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Can't say that I can disagree with you two.
Bryan
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

My visit to Bourbon French Perfums was fun.The store is in an old building in the historic French Quarter. There were displays of old glassware related to making and using perfumes and the workshop in back was open to view. Although geared towards women, they had a large men's display in the center of the counter with samplers and slips of paper to test the scents. None of the scents other than their house "Eau de Cologne" appealed to me. This was a little disappointing because being a sandalwood addict, I anticipated buying it before I walked in. But the otherwise un-named "Eau de Cologne" was very nice (I think Squire uses it). There was no aftershave splash, just a balm, listed on their website (all the scents have a range of products: powders, lotions, shampoos, soaps, etc.). So I asked about it and the youngster behind the counter seemed baffled. Fortunately, a more senior person came from the back just then and having overheard my question, said they did make their house cologne in an aftershave strength. She wasn't sure why it was not listed on their website. She said the cologne was not that strongly scented and some men use it as an aftershave. I waited while they prepared a 4 oz. bottle of the "Eau de Cologne" in the workshop and placed an "After Shave" sticker on it. It is milder than the cologne or eau de toilette strength (presumably diluted with alcohol) which is what I preferred. They describe it as "...distinct citrus characteristics of bergamot and lime with a hint of rosemary". More than my nose could decipher, but I liked it. Masculine, not flowery. It came in a spray bottle. It didn't dawn on me till I was home that I should have asked for a screw cap. I pulled out the siphon "straw" from the pump and just unscrew the top and use it like a splash.
(I did walk by Aiden Gill. It was on a tourist mall and was glitzy; too many T-shirts and tourist junk in the window next to the displays of shaving gear and men's toiletries. It was closed. Didn't miss shopping there.)
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dave

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, that's the one I use, the Eau de Cologne which is their 160 year old original still made to the same formula. The most senior staff there refer to it as Number 1.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Thanks for sharing part of your experience...much appreciated

\clive
de gustibus non est disputandum