Questions about Taylor's Sandalwood soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Questions about Taylor's Sandalwood soap

Post by brothers »

Is it available in the wooden bowl? Are there certain formulations we should be wary of? Is the current Sandalwood formula the same as the new TOBS Luxury Lime soap? (I know the lavender is not what it used to be.)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Re: Questions about Taylor's Sandalwood soap

Post by EL Alamein »

Very pertinent questions, Gary. I will be looking forward to any replies as well.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I realize this one has been banging around TOBS for a long time, but the recent Sandalwood announcement from the cross-town rival DRHarris has triggered a bit of curiosity about TOBS Sandalwood on my part. I'm thinking I'll probably be wanting to compare the two soaps at some future date. I am guessing that more than one SMF member has a lot of experience with TOBS sandalwood soap that they would share.

Edit: I have located the TOBS Sandalwood soap with bowl in stock at a few vendors. The formula is pretty close to the Luxury Lime TOBS soap, It's missing the shea butter, and there are a few other differences, when getting down toward the bottom of the list. This makes me pretty curious as to whether the Sandalwood lathers as well as the Luxury Lime.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

I recently finished a puck of TOBS sandalwood soap, veggie version. Easy to lather, great scent, good performer. I can't compare it to the lime as I've never tried that.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Yes, TOBS sandalwood soap is available in a wooden bowl. Don't know as to the formulation comparisons. Interesting that the lime refill costs one pound more than the sandalwood refill, though. May take an email to TOBS; sales@taylorofoldbondst.co.uk.
John
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Started a new puck of Taylor's Sandalwood about 2-3 months ago and could not detect any noticeable difference to the previous puck, except that the scent of the old puck had obviously grown weaker.
This soap is still sold both as refill and in the wooden bowl.

Noticed at that time too that - although is is still available elsewhere - Taylor's no longer lists lavender shaving soap on their website.
Pity really, except for D.R. Harris shaving sticks Taylor's had become my standard British shaving soap and cream.

Have become curious about D.R. Harris sandalwood shaving soap and may run a comparison of the individual Taylor's and D.R. Harris lavender and sandalwood products.

Need to get my hands on the D.R. Harris sandalwood first though...
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Our itchy, hot little hands.
Regards,
Squire