Shooting in Ottawa

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Shooting in Ottawa

Post by jww »

When something like this happens in your own backyard, it brings things so imminently close to home that it can really scare you.

I are streaming CBC live at the moment, and have been texting our children and spouses throughout the morning. Two of them live here in Ottawa, one of whom just moved work locations from the downtown core -- for which we are suddenly grateful.

The lockdown area and perimeter have been widened. Ottawa isn't a large downtown area -- very concentrated, lots of government workers ..... and everyone on edge as police and military take more control over Parliament Hill and surrounding area.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/parliam ... -1.2808710
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Re: Shooting in Ottawa

Post by brothers »

I hope they get him quickly. Very troubling.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I hope they shoot him quickly, these are not random acts.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Praying for a quick solution to this situation.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

It's been a very surreal day for us. My middle son, who is a Canadian Government employee was under lockdown orders all day -- which was the case not only for anyone working in the downtown core, but for all federal gov't workers in Ottawa today. This has been a worrisome event to say the least. Had CBC streaming with Peter Mansbridge virtually all day while I was working. Even IBM locked our doors at our sites throughout the city today.

Glad it's over for now -- but with the initial shock of the event slowly waning, the real media circus will now begin. We just need some answers to many, many questions.
Wendell

Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

Which questions would you like answered Wendell?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

More detail as to the how's and the why's. How did he get to the front of the cenotaph with a long rifle, and how on earth did he get past RCMP officers, themselves armed, at the entrance to Centre Block on Parliament Hill, for starters.
Wendell

JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Those are legit questions, Wendell. I have no idea, but have there ever been incidents in the downtown area that would raise consciousness of the potential for such violence?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

First time for anything remotely close to this. The worst has been a not too few angry public servants protecting wage freezes, etc. or groups angry at the government and that would be it.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I really hope this was a one-time act. This is deplorable. I saw a brief news clip about the soldier's young son. My heart breaks for the boy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Let's hope it's not a harbinger Wendell but with these people we may expect the worst.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:I hope they shoot him quickly, these are not random acts.
Squire, point well made. That such a thing happens again and again around the globe is troubling. Let's have confidence that those responsible for defense against such a non-random enemy are hard at work configuring effective strategies.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

War was declared on the west and we're too PC to even correctly identify the enemy. One can't even engage the enemy until one identifies who it is we're supposed to fight.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

ShadowsDad wrote:War was declared on the west and we're too PC to even correctly identify the enemy. One can't even engage the enemy until one identifies who it is we're supposed to fight.
Could not agree more.

Unfortunately, the reasons for our lack of honesty about who we are really dealing with here are really self evident. But alas...no one will really go there.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

The enemy of our enemy must be our friend. It's a bit early into the party but it's only a matter of time before the mysterious 3rd party takes notice and buys into the game. No way of knowing that'll be good or bad, just probably somewhat inevitable.
Gary

Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

brothers wrote: it's only a matter of time before the mysterious 3rd party takes notice and buys into the game.
Who are you referring to?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm imagining some other organization or interest that may identify a conflicting interest with that of our un-mentionable enemy, with the means and the will to assert formidable pressure on the enemy, sufficient to render it inert or non-existent.
Gary

Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

brothers wrote:I'm imagining some other organization or interest that may identify a conflicting interest with that of our un-mentionable enemy, with the means and the will to assert formidable pressure on the enemy, sufficient to render it inert or non-existent.
Yes I got that part... And that organization would be...????
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mr. Pinchy wrote:
brothers wrote:I'm imagining some other organization or interest that may identify a conflicting interest with that of our un-mentionable enemy, with the means and the will to assert formidable pressure on the enemy, sufficient to render it inert or non-existent.
You're asking me? How in **** would I know. :D
Gary

Mr. Pinchy

Post by Mr. Pinchy »

brothers wrote:
Mr. Pinchy wrote:
You're asking me? How in **** would I know. :D
You're the one telling the story