Introducing the MdC Fougere Brain Bowl

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Introducing the MdC Fougere Brain Bowl

Post by brothers »

Background: Martin de Candre offers 3 shaving soaps, Original scented, unscented, and Fougere. Standard container is a big glass jar. Original is offered in several different containers, one of which is a wooden bowl, which has been nicknamed the Brain Bowl by the guys on the shaving forums, because it looks like a brain in a bowl! :shock:

Fougere isn't offered in optional containers. I like the looks of the brain bowl, and my MdC is Fougere. I was browsing ebay and found one that's very similar in shape and dimension to the Original MdC wooden bowl, and it happens it was hand made from Myrtle wood in Coos Bay, Oregon.

After I finish off my remaining bit of Blueness (Turkey) soap, I'm going to move to the MdC and see how long it will take to use it all up. The soap alone weighs 217 grams. Now it's safe and sound in it's very own "brain bowl", and ready to be used up from start to finish over the coming weeks and months. Here are some pictures.

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SharpSpine

Re: Introducing the MdC Fougere Brain Bowl

Post by SharpSpine »

Wow! That looks amazing Gary. I think that you'll be enjoying the next 6 months or so.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Nicely done! I have the actual Brain Bowl, but I prefer the Original to the Fougère anyway.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Well done gary......the glass bowl is very posh, but i wonder how gents soap a big brush. the wooden bowl is much better for lathering i would think

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

That looks great, Gary. And I agree, it probably is easier to lather too.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tomorrow will be the day I start using up this whole bowl of soap... all 217 grams .... until it's all gone. I will be loading the brush on the soap for 15 to 20 seconds, and if I use a tiny bit less than 2g of soap every day, it should last about 4 months. This is subject to change once I start to get the brush and soap dialed in. No doubt it'll be several months. Probably around Valentine's day or so. Man, that seems like an eternity! 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, one soap for 4-5 months.....only one thing to say: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

I know, Clive, that's just too short. :lol: :lol:
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Prediction: this bowl of MdC Fougere soap will last until approximately April 18, 2015, provided I continue to use the same brush (Plisson), and shave every single day between now and then. This is based on an average usage of 1.15 grams per day, which represents the amount of soap picked up by the brush during a 15 second loading time.
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:Prediction: this bowl of MdC Fougere soap will last until approximately April 18, 2015, provided I continue to use the same brush (Plisson), and shave every single day between now and then. This is based on an average usage of 1.15 grams per day, which represents the amount of soap picked up by the brush during a 15 second loading time.
One of the nice ladies at MdC once told me that their soap jars usually last 1 year, if used daily. I suspected this would not be the case for me when I bought them, as I am a bowl latherer that likes to use a generous amount of product, and judging by your prediction I guess this won't be your case either, Gary. :wink:
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
harper

Post by harper »

Gary: You write:

"Prediction: this bowl of MdC Fougere soap will last until approximately April 18, 2015, provided I continue to use the same brush (Plisson), and shave every single day between now and then. This is based on an average usage of 1.15 grams per day, which represents the amount of soap picked up by the brush during a 15 second loading time."

I thought I was nuts when I counted the number of times I swirled my brush (using Trumper cream) in my scuttle (24 times circling to the right, 24 times circling to the left ... then 24 more right, 24 more left) to work the lather right and thought I must be the only one crazy enough to count the swirls. Now, I find you know how much soap you use and the loading time is 15 seconds.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well Bob, us guys have all of these obsessions, don't we! Cameras, pipes, tobaccos, pens, pocket knives, bicycles and motorcycles, on and on . . . :lol:
Gary

harper

Post by harper »

Gary, it's nice to know that I'm not alone.

cheers

Bob
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh you've got company Bob, we may not be a large percentage of the shaving population but we few are fearless.
Regards,
Squire
harper

Post by harper »

Gary, squire, nb: it is 30 times in each direction. I am mathematically challenged in addition to being of short memory.
harper

Post by harper »

Gary, squire, nb: it is 30 times in each direction. I am mathematically challenged in addition to being of short memory.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems the rate of usage with the same brush every day has somewhat stabilized around 2.5g per shave. That amount takes about 20 seconds to load, and it makes a rich and abundant lather. It'll be exhausted around mid-to-late January at this rate. I'm not going to be putzing around with posting these boring remarks, now that it's become a predictable routine. As for now, I'll let it go along on cruise control for a dozen weeks or so.
Gary

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

OMG! I just now saw this. An Okie bowl. Outstanding.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
brothers

Post by brothers »

Johnny wrote:OMG! I just now saw this. An Okie bowl. Outstanding.
:D I like that, Johnny.
Gary

DEF

Post by DEF »

Where can you mail order MdC?
Doug