Mongoose -- Stainless Steel SE Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: Mongoose -- Stainless Steel SE Razor

Post by brothers »

I am also awaiting my invoice. It'll show up in due time, I keep telling myself that. Meanwhile I located a stainless steel handle that will be here long before the razor I'm sure. It's called the Hex Arrow, custom made by LAW. I'm going to wait until I have the Mongoose mated with the Hex Arrow before posting any pictures. I'm also going to have a few shaves with the new razor before showing it off.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bryan, I see elsewhere that you've turned shave #61 with your Mongoose. Wow! You commented on the Feather Super blade. I think that must be how I feel about the ever-present threat of a nick or cut when the blade is too dominating. it brings to mind the Cobra Classic (with the Feather Pro blade) and the Muhle R41 '11, as they have performed for me. In anticipation of getting a Mongoose, I almost bought some Feather Pros and Supers in advance, to go with my Kai Captain, but thought better of it. I'm planning on sticking with the Kai from the beginning, depending on how it performs. I have my own perceptions and expectations for the Mongoose. If it turns out to be too harsh, I'll be seriously disappointed. Obviously, you have had many excellent shaves, and that is why I'm thinking it'll be my experience also. Maybe, just maybe, I'll soon be receiving my invoice, then it's off to the races! Lucky for me, I've got two other new (to me) DE razors just in, which are unbelievably smooth and close shavers: Eclipse Red Ring and Darwin Deluxe Stainless. I'm really hoping the Mongoose will be the modern-day single edge equal of these two.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Maybe this will inspire someone to come up with a similar razor for standard injector blades.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Phil/Bullgoose was originally going to offer two Huntlee SE's, one that took Feathers, etc., and the other for standard injector blades like the Chick. I think he's concentrating on getting the former up and running for now.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've been on the "list" to buy one of the new Mongoose razors for right at 3 months. They're in production and slowly but surely the guys on the waiting list are receiving invoices through Paypal when their razor becomes available. There are a lot of guys out there using their new Mongoose razors already, and more every day. Today I decided it would be ultra simple to bypass the waiting game, so I posted a want-to-buy notice on one of the forums where the Mongoose is receiving a lot of air time, in case someone who has one and has found that it isn't their cup of tea would simply sell it to me. The response was virtually immediate, and now I have a same-as-new satin finish Mongoose razor and handle in the mail to me, first thing tomorrow morning. I'll have it by the end of the week. Invoice or no invoice. The same thing applies, due to the supply and demand, a Mongoose listed for sale on the shaving forums is guaranteed to sell at full retail price plus shipping, to the first guy who sees the listing. If I get mine and don't care for it, it'll be gone within a half hour. Cool!
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

My timing was perfect, it seems. The invoice arrived from PayPal this evening, just 24 hours after I had bought the other razor. Of course I honored my commitment to pay the invoice upon receipt. I'm expecting two little packages now.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I have two :shock: --- the first shave (this morning) was a pleasant one. I didn't know what to expect, and what I got was less harsh than the Cobra, with no nicks, cuts, or weepers. I didn't have that nagging feeling that I was about to be bitten. The feeling I get when using the Muhle R41 and the Cobra. They do cut and nick. The Mongoose didn't, and it didn't threaten to. The blade was a twice used (in the Cobra) Kai Captain Mild blade. I need to use it regularly for several days to get the "hang" of it --- AKA muscle memory. Good razor and good shaver.
Gary

malocchio

Post by malocchio »

I'm surprised Feather has not come out with a razor to fit their own SE blade.Even when I attached the spine from a Gem blade to the Feather ,I still could not get it to work in either of my SE Gem razors,really not sure why they even make that blade.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I expect they make it for markets other than shaving as well.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was the third shave with the new Mongoose. As of right now, my handle of choice is the Bulldog that came with my Shavecraft 101. It's around 73g and 80mm in length. I used other larger and heavier handles and to my personal taste, it seems I just like the way the Bulldog feels in my hand. I used the Kai Captain blade for the first two, and today's blade was the Feather Pro. So far, still in my learning curve with the Mongoose, I have no complaints. No harshness, no nicks, etc. The feel of the razor/blade on the face is comfortable and it seems the razor is forgiving, while shaving smooth and close. This was a very fine shave I had today. I can say the Mongoose is a different animal than the Cobra. Worthy of consideration on all levels, on its own merits.
Gary

river1

Post by river1 »

Gary, your commentary is wonderful to read for me. Since I had the Cobra and sold it after a major nick with the same experience as you, the no fear remark was perfect.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday's Mongoose shave with the Feather Pro was the best yet. It has potential.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks and congratulations to the hard working gents who are bringing this excellent new product to us. You found a need and filled it. May you succeed and prosper. This razor has clarified my perception and raised my expectations regarding all razors, regardless of design and configuration. This may be a bold statement --- will the Mongoose cause me to prefer it when I compare it to them? I can see now that I will be compelled to make these comparisons.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

As the terrain continues to change, I originally ended up with a couple of Mongoose razors, both in the matte finish, and ended up selling those. Time went by, other razors came along, but I was missing the Mongoose. I realized I wanted the highly polished stainless steel Mongoose and matching handle, so I was fortunate to locate an unused razor exactly what I was hoping for. This one is going to stay with me now for the duration. I'm keeping this one. And using it. :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

In use this morning, I had forgotten how well this new design works. Feather Pro is outstanding. Close and smooth.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

TheMonk wrote:I've been pretty much using the Mongoose every day for a couple of months now... Can't see myself using any other razor on such a regular basis.
I can easily understand that.
Gary