Duffle Bags

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Duffle Bags

Post by Sam »

This may be what I need. I have a larger traditional suitcase and then a smaller, roller type with the plastic shell I picked up so I can carryon for a weekend airplane trip. I have a Timbuktu Messenger backpack that can carry some stuff like maybe for an overnight or two even, with a dopp kitt. But I need something that has a little more volume than a backback in case I go out of town for a weekend but I need a change of clothes for Saturday night. So this Gustin bag may be a ticket: https://www.weargustin.com/store/1282 Something casual and yet functional, and I like the idea of waxed canvas over leather. Is it around $149? I saw they had a brown one they did and I like the idea of aging a bag, like the patina on a leather.

Any other bags like this I should consider that are $150 or lower? LL Bean? Duluth Trading?

or a Beckle war bag seems roomy but regular canvas. Navy seems nice, $10 for a shoulder strap, so $82 vs. $149 for the Gustin

http://beckelcanvas.com/products_view.p ... ucts_id=22
Rufus

Re: Duffle Bags

Post by Rufus »

I'd recommend LL Bean. They have a wide selection of rolling and non-rolling duffles; they're mostly nylon, but they do have a few in canvas, leather and canvass and just leather. Frankly I'm not a fan of leather because of the weight and cost. Canvas is fine, but I prefer good quality nylon because it's rugged and relatively light. I own the Quickload line of LL Bean duffles and they're excellent; what I especially like about them are their U-shaped openings, which makes them very easy to pack/unpack and find stuff.
Bryan
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Bryan, I was thinking of the LL Bean, and they have a waxed canvas too
Also that Beckel Bag really has a good price point.

Waxed canvas or canvas? Something with say two pair of shoes, 4 pants, 4 or 5 shirts, couple of sweaters, tshirts, boxers, socks and dopp kitt. So medium to large, but I am also torn between waxed canvas (say a Gustin bag) or regular canvas (got my eyes on a Beckel Bag out of Oregon, like $84 with strap). I need something say from my house to my daughter's, something to throw in the trunk. Sure, I want it to last, so the abrasion thing sticks out, but its not like I will go camping or into the mountains but yes, maybe a lake house, lol
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

One word: Filson. You won't wear it out in two lifetimes.
Jim
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Duluth canvas and leather will outlast just about anything, but they are heavy.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Thinking less than $100. Heavy. That's why I thought canvas over leather
brothers

Post by brothers »

Uncle Sam gave me a free one, it lasted two years and I used it so hard it literally tore itself up. That was one tough duff' ! :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Go with LLBean, Sam. You won't regret it. How can you loose with the Bean unconditional guarantee?
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

LL Bean? Bah! Show up at the airport, a Vermont inn or the finest Manhattan hotel with a Filson over your shoulder, and you'll be immediately recognized as a man of impeccable taste, discriminating style and superior breeding. Someone at home on a pheasant shoot at a Dorset estate or cozied up in the corner booth of the bar at Claridge's. :D
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sam the sporting gent, yes, I can see that.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

All these wasted years. . . if I'd only known it all hinged on my duffle bag. Dang, why did I not see that?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think it's the hat. Sam and a hat are a natural combination.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Darn it Sam, once you mentioned duffle bags I started trolling the LL Bean website. As a result I'm now the proud owner of a Bean small Adventure Duffle for my twice weekly trips to the "Y"; didn't know I needed a new bag until I saw the Bean duffles. =D>
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I located a coat and a shirt on Filson, but am not a buyer. Just looking, thank you!
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:Darn it Sam, once you mentioned duffle bags I started trolling the LL Bean website. As a result I'm now the proud owner of a Bean small Adventure Duffle for my twice weekly trips to the "Y"; didn't know I needed a new bag until I saw the Bean duffles. =D>
My small Adventure Duffle gets tons of service. It's a great carry on when I fly for a one nighter -- I'll wear a suit, and take all my other "stuff" in the duffle and my smaller laptop bag. For days-out, I'll throw in "stuff" I'll need for the day. It's a great all-rounder. Bean just gets stuff right -- and when they don't it's simple --- return it under their unconditional guarantee. Got mine on sale and had a $10 gift card --- paid like $12 USD for it --- no shipping, no duty .... woot.
Wendell

SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Sam,

One of the best quality duffel bags is made by RedOXX

This one might fit the bill for you, but is a little more expensive than your original option:

http://www.redoxx.com/Shop-by-Gear-Item ... 00/Product

For something more basic, here are a bunch of options for $65 or less:

http://www.redoxx.com/Aviator-Duffel-Bags/150/150/dept

I have a couple of their bags and also purchased one for my wife - excellent quality!

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Id prefer waxed canvas because of the look, but hey, it just needs to hold clothes for the most part in the trunk of my car. Probably will go to LL Bean because of the guarantee since I do have the wheeled carry on in case of a plane trip
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Any idea what size on the Bean duffle? Medium or large? I am thinking large as it is $5 more and since it's going in a trunk, but that may be overkill and I might be able to use it for a carryon if I got a medium? or since it is softside, could scruntch up if I get the large?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The large is quite a good size.... but the medium is no slouch either. The medium would fit better as a carry-on. I am pretty sure the large is be too big for that purpose.
Wendell