Duffle Bags

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Re: Duffle Bags

Post by Sam »

Thinking of LL Bean because of the guarantee

Either the large adventure duffle here: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63913?fe ... -pprrright

or canvas one here: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63929?fe ... tId=879699

in the canvas, the medium and large are the same price

Ideas?
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The only drawback of the sunwashed canvas is that it won't be water repellent. The regular adventure duffel material is a lined nylon, and it is great for repelling water -- although the zipper is not water impervious, so if it gets dunked, rather than splashed, you'll find things inside quite wet. Cotton - even if it's sunwashed, will not be as water repellent. However, they do look oh so good.

With the Large on sale for the same price as the medium, I admit that's a great temptation -- a very good deal. Buy one of each. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's an old line from a character played by Glenn Ford, one of my favorite old actors, "you got to make up your mind what you want, and go get it." This has served me quite well since the first time I heard it. Saves a lot of time. :D Please let us know which one you get, and how well it serves your purposes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got the large sunwashed canvas and part of the consideration, other than price, was the guarantee as Wendell pointed out
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Good choice Sam. One of the good things about the Bean guarantee is that it is unconditional. Hence, if you decide you just don't like the duffle for any reason you can return it to Bean whether you've used it or not. I've dealt with Bean for over 20 years and have never been disappointed with their returns policy/guarantee. I've returned items to them with absolutely no issues: in some instances it's been a sizing issue, in others it's been because I didn't like the styling once I'd seen the item in the "flesh" and in one instance it was because the quality of the material was not what I wanted. Catalogue shopping can be tricky, but with their guarantee I've never thought twice about shopping at LL Bean. BTW, my only affiliation with Bean is as a completely satisfied customer and I shop there frequently.
Bryan
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

Looks like a great bag Sam - hope the size is good for your needs - based on the specs, it's pretty big!

... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

SirCur wrote:Looks like a great bag Sam - hope the size is good for your needs - based on the specs, it's pretty big!

... Steve

yeah, but since it goes in the car 90% of the time, i figured for $5 more than the medium,which was half the size, why not. And the medium is about the size of my wheeled carry on. I went to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and could have used a tad more space than the wheeled carry on which rode in my trunk
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Rufus wrote:Darn it Sam, once you mentioned duffle bags I started trolling the LL Bean website. As a result I'm now the proud owner of a Bean small Adventure Duffle for my twice weekly trips to the "Y"; didn't know I needed a new bag until I saw the Bean duffles. =D>
My small Adventure Duffle arrived today. It's all I expected and is the perfect size for lugging my kit to the "Y". I think I'll be very happy with it and at $25 (after deducting a $10 coupon) I think it's very good value. Note to self, stay away from the LL Bean catalogue for now otherwise you'll find more things you didn't know you needed. :wink:
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You all think the catalogue is a temptation .... ever been to the Flagship store in Freeport????? :shock:

We get there usually two or three times a year (although traded England for Maine this fall - well worth it, btw) and I rarely walk out empty-handed. We have had more great experiences with Bean than with any other retailer, bar none. I have used the guarantee more often than I care to admit .... but they are true to their word, and as a result, more and more I find myself turning my nose up at stuff I can get here in deference to spending a tad more and waiting till I get back to Maine ----- although with their retail store footprint constantly expanding, we now only need go as far as Burlington Vt for our closest store ...... or Tyson's Corners nr Syracuse for an outlet.

Speaking of outlets -- ever done a Bean outlet???? It'll make your eyes pop out ... and the guarantee still holds true for anything purchased at the outlets.

See what you have done -- evangelizing about LLBean almost tempts me to ask for a new moniker on the forum --- wait a minute ----- nope!

Enjoy that sunwashed duffle, Sam! And likewise Bryan, that small adventure duffle will be useful for lots more than just trips to the Y for sure.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have yet to get to a Bean B&M store, but I will get to their flagship store in the not too distant future. I have a good friend who goes their often and he has said that anytime I want to join him on a Bean road trip I'm very welcome. It's a bit of a hike from Oakville, but I'm up for it although my bank account may not agree. In the meantime I'll keep dreaming. :whistle:
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:... It's a bit of a hike from Oakville, but I'm up for it although my bank account may not agree. In the meantime I'll keep dreaming. :whistle:
It's not that far to B&M for you .... Eastview Shopping Mall in Victor/Pittsford, NY is about 3.5 hours from you ... so no excuses. :wink:
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:... It's a bit of a hike from Oakville, but I'm up for it although my bank account may not agree. In the meantime I'll keep dreaming. :whistle:
It's not that far to B&M for you .... Eastview Shopping Mall in Victor/Pittsford, NY is about 3.5 hours from you ... so no excuses. :wink:
Wendell, you're a crafty enabler. [-X I didn't realise there was a store that close. Nevertheless, if I'm to do it properly it will have to be a trip to the flagship store in Freeport. On the other hand, however, an exploratory trip to the Eastview Shopping Mall to reconnoiter their B&M operations might just be in order. :mrgreen:
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Bryan -- it's an easy decision .... Freeport for the pilgrimage, and Pittsford to feed the need when you can't get to Freeport. I think we have visited most B&M stores, including outlets in NH, Vermont, Mass and Maine ...... :wink:

Oh -- and if you are really in need, you can always order for delivery to the store in Pittsford, and then you'll have an excuse for a short road trip ..... 8)

Enabler is my middle name where Bean and MWF are concerned. :mrgreen:
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:Bryan -- it's an easy decision .... Freeport for the pilgrimage, and Pittsford to feed the need when you can't get to Freeport. I think we have visited most B&M stores, including outlets in NH, Vermont, Mass and Maine ...... :wink:

Oh -- and if you are really in need, you can always order for delivery to the store in Pittsford, and then you'll have an excuse for a short road trip ..... 8)

Enabler is my middle name where Bean and MWF are concerned. :mrgreen:
According to Google maps it's 2 hours 28 minutes from Oakville... now I'm in real trouble #-o
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

That is definitely a short road trip!
Wendell

merkri

Post by merkri »

This is late, but I wanted to mention this company's duffles because I think good small businesses need more attention sometimes:

http://www.nomaralaska.com/round.htm

I've been looking for a duffle the last year, was recently in Homer, and was really impressed by their seatarp duffles. They also will custom make just about anything, and were really pleasant to work with when I inquired about this. I haven't bought one yet, because I purchased another piece of luggage for a different reason, and that's turned out to be more useful than I thought. But if I were going to buy a duffle, I'd probably purchase a custom duffle from them. It's admittedly a very different look from canvas, but it's durable and a reasonable price, in my opinion.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Wondering about these for a day bag, every day carry, not for work necessarily, but when exploring NYC, or stuff like that

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81524?p ... -GN3&csp=f

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86903?feat=pprv&csp=a

found nutsac

https://nutsacbags.com/products/sac-daddy

and then this is like filson
Like the big Sagnaga case

https://www.frostriver.com/shop/what-s- ... l-satchel/
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the looks and features of the Bean Sportsman's bag. Too bad the blue isn't offered.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

A bag from Red Oxx of Billings, Montana, might just do it. Extremely well made and made in America. Visit their website.
Bryan