After all these years (rose shave soap)...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

After all these years (rose shave soap)...

Post by rustyblade »

Nobody other than Trumpers makes a rose shave soap yet? Last I remembered the Trumper soap caused my skin some bother. I haven't paid much attention to the shave scene in a while and thought I would look up an order myself a nice Harris Rose Shave Soap. Not happening.
Richard
Nitrox
AC/DC

Re: After all these years (rose shave soap)...

Post by Nitrox »

Richard, after all these years, I'm still waiting for that 'elusive' Harris rose soap as well.
When (and if) it finally comes out, hopefully it will be tallow like their other soaps.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Richard SMF member trbeck (Tim) makes an artisan soap in Rose fragrance, at least he did about a year ago. You might ask him?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When it comes to Rose I believe I'll stay with the creams.
Regards,
Squire
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

brothers wrote:Richard SMF member trbeck (Tim) makes an artisan soap in Rose fragrance, at least he did about a year ago. You might ask him?
If it is available, the soap is excellent, with a fresh rose scent.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Of course one can make their own by melting a lightly scented or unscented glycerin shaving soap and adding rose scent.
Regards,
Squire
mlb549

Post by mlb549 »

TOBS makes rose.
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

mlb549 wrote:TOBS makes rose.
welcome to smf!!!

fyi, the only rose taylors makes, unfortunately, is a cream version

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
MrDapper

Post by MrDapper »

I also make a very good Rose Soap, (based on feedback) Wickham Super Smooth English Rose. Don't know If I am allowed to link so will let people Google it. Just realised your after a hard soap, Super Smooth is a cream.

Darron :D
“We can’t be lovers because we both have mustaches. But since you’re a lady, and I’m a gentleman, I’ll shave mine off.”
numerouno

Post by numerouno »

You could try Queen Charlotte Rose Otto soap. Natural rose scent.
brothers

Post by brothers »

At this point it looks like there are at least two rose soaps, Tim's and QCS.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

QED made a Wild Rose glycerin soap a few years back. It was a limited supply and I did manage to get some.
The lather is okay, but the scent is very potent and natural as he used Rose essential oil.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's how Charles rolls. I really like the intensity of some of his scents, just don't care for glycerin shave soap.
Regards,
Squire
evnpar

Post by evnpar »

There are two soft soaps that are a nice rose scent, Caties Bubbles La Rose du Mèchant, and Wickham Super Smooth English Rose. Both of these are top not soaps. Le Pére Lucien recently had a very nice limited edition rose, no longer available, as well as Fitjar, which is out of business.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Richard,
Nice to hear from you again. I agree that it's a shame that DRH has yet to provide use with a rose hard soap. Based on my current experience with that Taylor's Lime hard soap, a rose one from them would also be welcome. However, my self personally, I continue to be happy enough with the Trumper version....Clive and I are of one mind when it comes to the Trumper soaps....I've never had a poor one. Of course, skin irritation issues are very specific to each shaver although there are products that used to bother me but that don't anymore so it might be worth trying the Trumpers again some time.
Regards,
Gordon
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

If you don't mind a bit of another scent mixed in with your rose, Michelle at Mystic Water makes a superb soft soap with a scent called Rosalimone, which is, as you might guess, a combination of rose and lemon. Rose is the principal scent.

The Soap Commander also makes a rose soap; I believe he calls it "love."
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
CaptainHornet

Post by CaptainHornet »

Barrister & Mann make a "Caledonia Rose" soap that is a vegan soap. I have enjoyed it very much as it's a good soap, David
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

My favorite Rose soap is Jabonman. It is made by Manuel Garcia in Barcelona Spain. Nice, fresh rose scent and wonderful lather. Concerning creams, I prefer Cyril Salter Wild Rose.

Ed
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

CaptainHornet wrote:Barrister & Mann make a "Caledonia Rose" soap that is a vegan soap. I have enjoyed it very much as it's a good soap, David
David, welcome to SMF.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

[quote="rustyblade"]Nobody other than Trumpers makes a rose shave soap yet? Last I remembered the Trumper soap caused my skin some bother. I haven't paid much attention to the shave scene in a while and thought I would look up an order myself a nice Harris Rose Shave Soap. Not happening.[/quote]

Richard, you may be interested to know that Martin de Candre (France) has just released their own Rose shaving soap.
Gary