Keeping Cella from going bad

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Marsom

Keeping Cella from going bad

Post by Marsom »

Hello, I'm sure this has been taken up before, but I recently acquired a red tub of Cella shave soap and wanted to know what is the best way to keep it from going bad. Does it need to be covered and closed right after use when it is still damp or wet from loading the brush or should it be allowed to air dry a bit before closing it? Is there any other helpful tips for keeping this soap from going bad?

I'm assuming that it should remain closed up when it's not being used, but didn't know how to treat right after it gets used. I don't really rotate through different shave preps much so I use whatever I'm using daily or every other day usually until it gets used up. So, because I use it so often and close it up while it's still wet, it never really dries and seems to stay damp or moist.

I find this stuff to be excellent as do many others I'm sure.

Best,
Marion
CMur12

Re: Keeping Cella from going bad

Post by CMur12 »

Marion, I have always allowed it to dry out a bit before recapping it. I have never had it go bad.

For long-term storage of a kilo block, I keep it well sealed in the refrigerator.

- Murray
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Thanks, I don't think I've used anything that's left my face is such good shape. Maybe it's because I'm Italian ;)
Best,
Marion
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

+1 what Murray wrote.

If it's left "out", even covered, it will turn tannish in maybe 2 years. But since you like it I doubt that it will last that long. BTW, even after turning color it works fine.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The pot I purchased a couple of years ago has changed colour as well, but it hasn't changed in overall performance nor in scent --- some creams can sure get "gamy" after a while.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My rule with Cella is use it up.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good advice!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

Weeks ago, I found a red tub of Cella that had escaped two or more years ago after a few shaves into the bottom corner of my drawer.

The colour had changed a bit and some of the moisture might have evaporated too, but - as Wendell mentioned - this did not noticeable affect the shave.
Perfectly good to use after all that time.

B
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I, too, dug out some Cella that I hadn't used for a couple of years for my shave last night. It still had that characteristic Cella smell, of fatty soap with almond - no hint of rancidity, and it lathered right up for a great shave. (Good thing, as I have about 2/3 of a kilo brick of it in the fridge!)

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kilo eh? That's commitment.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

The whole kilo will cost just about the same as a small puck or tub of most other soaps and creams. One of the best values in shaving products at the moment.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Cella used to be one of two favorite soaps, and I stocked up on it and AoS. Then the Cella got shoved aside when I explored others. After last night's excellent shave, I think I'll bring it back into use.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I really like Cella but it will be quite awhile before I can find a slot for another cake. The herd needs thinning.
Regards,
Squire
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

CMur12 wrote:I, too, dug out some Cella that I hadn't used for a couple of years for my shave last night. It still had that characteristic Cella smell, of fatty soap with almond - no hint of rancidity, and it lathered right up for a great shave. (Good thing, as I have about 2/3 of a kilo brick of it in the fridge!)

- Murray

I have both the Cella tub (for travelling) and the brick (for use at home) and have never had any Cella going bad on me, even though I just keep it on a shelf in my study.

Judging from two 1 kg bricks of Cella so far, there may be no need to keep it in the fridge.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

I have a tub of cella that seems to last to infinity. I have a very small rotation, and cella has its regular spot. So I am eventually nearing the bottom. To your question... I leave it open just until I am done with my mornign shave routine and ready to head out of the bathroom. That bit of air dry seems to do the trick. Like most soap/heavy creams, it is reasonable that overtime the damp brush loading each day adds some moisture to the product. I'm fine with it. When I get near the bottom, it seems to be easier to load, and still produces all the right lather and slickness. I've never had it go bad nor change too much.
Tom
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I use several soft soaps (croaps) and Cella is a favorite. If I had to pick one to use from now on, it would be a toss-up between Cella and Proraso red in the tub. Either one is a joy to use, and I am very happy not to have to make that choice. Cella might get the edge because of the tallow it contains - most of the soaps I like the best have tallow or other animal fat as an ingredient. Also, Cella comes in a kilo package that "will fill the plastic Cella container a dozen times" according to the advertising.

The tallow soft soaps made by Stirling, Mystic Waters, and others are wonderful and really quite inexpensive. I have never had any soap go bad on me, some of the creams I've neglected dried up, but all the soaps and croaps seem to do just fine with no special care at all. I found a stick of La Toja soap once that was nearly two decades old - just left forgotten in a storage box. It performed perfectly.
disengage