Just in - Tilley Hats business for sale?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Rufus

Re: Just in - Tilley Hats business for sale?

Post by Rufus »

Kyle76 wrote:It's getting difficult, particularly in the area of sportswear, to find clothing that doesn't have some type of visible logo. I guess one's interpretation of "prominent" is the key. The newer, large Polo logo is hideous, but the smaller one doesn't bother me. It's often done in an attractive accent color that adds a nice touch. Columbia, Bean and Bauer, to name a few, have understated logos on most items.
The ubibiquity of logos on clothing is amazing. But there are people who buy an item because of the logo on it; not for me, however. In many instances you just can't get away from it, especially in outerwear; I've just examined my collection of parkas and jackets and only one doesn't have a logo on the outside. Most of the logos are subtle and not eye-catching; in the case of my Mountain Hardware down coat it's almost impossible to see the logo on the upper chest because the logo is in black and the coat is black. On the other hand, the Canada Goose logo is a red, white and blue disc several inches is diameter and it's displayed on the upper sleeve in the case of its jackets, coats and parkas, on the back of its mits and gloves and on the front of its caps and hats; you just can't miss it. In contrast,Tilley displays no exterior logos, but the styling of its hats is a dead giveaway.
Bryan
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Kyle76 wrote:Hey, Brian, how much is Krampert's paying you? :D
Not enough Kyle, not enough.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:Or one could wear knock-offs and most aren't any the wiser. :wink:
You definitely can, but then you'd be aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise. [-X
Not meaning to suggest any such thing, sorry for my bad attempt at sarcasm. In the end we all can make the decision of how we wish to spend our hard earned cash.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:
jww wrote:Or one could wear knock-offs and most aren't any the wiser. :wink:
You definitely can, but then you'd be aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise. [-X
Not meaning to suggest any such thing, sorry for my bad attempt at sarcasm. In the end we all can make the decision of how we wish to spend our hard earned cash.
I didn't think you were serious, Wendell; sorry for implying otherwise. This was my poor attempt at sarcasm.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:...I didn't think you were serious, Wendell; sorry for implying otherwise. This was my poor attempt at sarcasm.
Falling over each other with apologies for our shortcomings ....... another reason why I love SMF and keep coming back when other forums have gone by the wayside for me.
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:...I didn't think you were serious, Wendell; sorry for implying otherwise. This was my poor attempt at sarcasm.
Falling over each other with apologies for our shortcomings ....... another reason why I love SMF and keep coming back when other forums have gone by the wayside for me.
Yes, well, we're Canadian. :mrgreen:
Bryan
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You guys are so polite, how you keep the riffraff from sneaking across your borders is beyond me.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I received an email from Tilley this afternoon which said that their current deal is free shipping until March 19.

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I bought one hat from Tilley several years ago, and they still send me an email every week! Maybe I should unsubscribe.

Now through Monday: free shipping with no minimum order.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

GA Russell wrote:I'll be willing to throw my hat into the ring!

I see what you did there.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

One wonders how the sale of the business worked out.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:One wonders how the sale of the business worked out.
Hillco out of the UK apparently did go through with the purchase, as founder Alex Tilley rode into the sunset. I just acquired my 4th Tilley (one of which wore out and was replaced free of charge under their no-haggle guarantee). It's a winter soft-shell in black. I got it for 1/2 price and free shipping. You can't beat that. They often have sale items worth browsing, and apparently have a factory outlet in Scarborough area in the GTA which I still haven't made a visit to, but one of my daughters-in-law keeps wanting to take me there when we visit. Perhaps in July when we are down for my birthday gift -- Elvis Costello at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts ---- but that's another thread for another day ...... 8) :wink:
Wendell

Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I still wear my Tilley hat I purchased 30 years ago; I think it is one of the original sailing hat styles. No real signs of wear yet; it's quite heavy-duty.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:I still wear my Tilley hat I purchased 30 years ago; I think it is one of the original sailing hat styles. No real signs of wear yet; it's quite heavy-duty.
The best hats ever -- period .... bar none .... and all that.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not typically a hat-wearer, but this thread has piqued my interest . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

I think I may have once shared how my Father-in-law somewhat sneakily ended up with my Tilley.

There is a KSO nearby. I may have to drop in next week and replace that hat with a new one. May even get a different color.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jay, I'm sure you gave it to him just because you wanted him to have it. 8)
Gary