What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: What are you reading?

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:A Year In Provence by Peter Mayle - thanks to those who recommended it. I've also got Suite Francaise on the Kindle, ready to go when the time comes.
Any of the Mayle Provence books are worth reading. There are three in all, and each is outstanding, but you really do need to read them in order to get the most out of them.

Currently reading Foundation, The History of England From it's Earliest Beginnings to the Tudors. It's the first in a series by Peter Ackroyd. At initial blush, I am quite impressed. He blends geography, geology and history into his story tweaking, and I find it very readable.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

And

Facing Cancer and the Fear of Death, Norman Straker Ed.
brothers

Post by brothers »

jww wrote:Any of the Mayle Provence books are worth reading. There are three in all, and each is outstanding, but you really do need to read them in order to get the most out of them.
I'm enjoying this first of the 3 books, A Year in Provence, at the present time. It's different, and I can see why it's given high marks by a lot of folks. I'm sure the DVD series with John Thaw is worth tracking down, too. He's been a prolific author, it appears, with well over 20 books to his credit, and still publishing new ones.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gary, as noted previously somewhere in this thread, I personally enjoy the series as much as the books. I find that the producers and director hit the nail on the head ..... and in so doing helped make monsieur and madamme Mayle quite a comfortable in the process. I have yet to see a bad piece of Thaw work - but then again, I have to admit that I am somewhat biased (refer to my avatar if you haven't noticed before :D)
Wendell

mikey

Post by mikey »

David Baldacci's King and Maxwell.

Thanks,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

This one seems to have been slightly dormant. I can't say I'm reading anything recreationally at the moment. I started a book about 6 weeks ago, didn't really get into it, and that's the last time I tried to read.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

started 'elephant company' recently....so far so good
http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Company- ... 1400069335

did the 'unbroken' read over thanksgiving....not to shabby!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I had put Ackroyd I hold for a few weeks while I had my annual read of Winter Solstice. It's an annual read for my wife and I both. We love it.

Back to Ackroyd again. I have accumulated over $70 in Kobo gift cards and was thinking to upgrade my ereader hardware to the Aura which was on sale for 30% off. Unfortunately the deal ended yesterday. Bummer. #-o
Wendell

SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Just finished Insurgent (book #2 in the Divergent trilogy) last night.

Will start on book #3, Allegiant, today.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A book on the Blacker method of fly tying and his patterns that were developed prior the book's first edition in 1855.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

jww wrote:I had put Ackroyd I hold for a few weeks while I had my annual read of Winter Solstice. It's an annual read for my wife and I both. We love it. #-o
I recently read that Dick Cavett is an advocate of re-reading. Says he: “We’d all have been better off to have read half as many books. Twice.”
I think that's good advice. My book choice for reading again and again is "To Kill a Mockingbird".
Rich
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I am overdue to read To Kill A Mockingbird .... on the list now.
Wendell

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Twice isn't enough for a work as wonderful as To Kill A Mockingbird. It's also a rare case where the movie totally does justice to the book.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

"Standing In Another Man's Grave" by Ian Rankin. Rebus returns! =D> I'll have to work "To Kill a Mockingbird" into my reading list for this year.
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

Kyle76 wrote:Twice isn't enough for a work as wonderful as To Kill A Mockingbird. It's also a rare case where the movie totally does justice to the book.
So now they're publishing the prequel (sequel?) to the first book, written prior to the original. Won't that be something!
Gary

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Looking forward to it, Gary, though with muted expectations. It'll be hard to compete with the original.
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Boris Johnson's "The Churchill Factor".
Bryan
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Just finished "Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. I enjoyed it.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
Barry

Post by Barry »

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
brothers

Post by brothers »

Barry wrote:Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes
Barry, I was curious about this book, and looked it up. It sounds like something I might appreciate, since the circumstances are familiar to me for the obvious reason. What did you think about this book?
Gary