Krampert's Finest Frostbite Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Krampert's Finest Frostbite Shaving Soap

Post by brothers »

Received mine yesterday, and eagerly used it this morning. An excellent soap, non-tallow formula, simple ingredient list (5) not counting fragrance. Doesn't dissipate on the face. Seifenglatt makes a good soap, and when combined with Brian Krampert's well-known aftershave fragrances, the results are enjoyable. The Frostbite version is menthol. After being on my face for a few moments, the menthol cooling starts and remains cold throughout the shave. The fragrance is the same as the aftershave by the same name. The soap bursts into lather even with my hard water, and I'll probably limit loading time to 15 seconds on the soap before going to the lather bowl. No complaints, Many positives. I am impressed by the slickness and overall effective performance of this soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Krampert's Finest Frostbite Shaving Soap

Post by fallingwickets »

kramperts is really rocking the soap world lately :D :D .......what a win for all of us

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Music to my ears Clive. We put a bit of work into it, and it's not inexpensive to make, but in my personal testing the results were worth it.

Where did you see this? I've been googling it to try to see what ripples it's been making but haven't seen anything.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sorry brian, smf is my only source of shaving info, but once gary gets going I imagine all sorts of good things for you [-o< =D> :D :D .....anyway, all this to say that I was projecting giant success for you rather than having any cold hard info :)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Sounds like a great product, Gary. I definitely need to try this.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Quite all right Clive. Thanks for the good thoughts sent my way.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Brian, do you ship to Canada?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I can send soap only.

Italian Barber has the full line or will have the full line. I know he's out of stock on some things at the moment. Too, I don't know if Seifenglatt has made his soaps yet. But eventually Joe should have everything. To check on the IB site, just look up my name in the upper left of the page and it will show everything of mine that Joe has.
Brian

JayDee

Post by JayDee »

That's fine by me - definitely I'd buy one.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today begins about a month of Krampert's Finest every day. The Frostbite soap lathered easily and I really like the scent and the performance, not to mention the menthol. Looking forward to the next few weeks. I'll go about 2 weeks Frostbite and 2 weeks or so of Acadian Spice Bay Rum. What makes it nice is the matching aftershaves for both soaps.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Marcall

Post by Marcall »

I just received my first order of Krampert's finest (frostbite) soap and aftershave on Thursday the 13th and waited until yesterday (sat.) to use, only to savor the momoment and really enjoy it on a day off. I was blown away, this is awesome stuff both the soap and the AS but especially the AS, I don't ever want to be without a bottle in my 'arsenal". I'm savoring the next hour or so until I shave today , much like Christmas morning....just waiting for the pure joy :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've found using a product exclusively for as much as a month straight, as I'm doing now with the Krampert's Bay Rum and Frostbite (4 days at a time each), weeds out those products that just aren't my cup of tea. On the other side of the coin, I've found that the products that are working extremely well for me make me want to just keep on using it for as long as possible. That's what happened with Krampert's soaps. I'm finishing up two weeks, with another two weeks to go at least, and am not overly eager to move on to the next one.
Gary

JayDee

Post by JayDee »

ShadowsDad wrote:Music to my ears Clive. We put a bit of work into it, and it's not inexpensive to make, but in my personal testing the results were worth it.

Where did you see this? I've been googling it to try to see what ripples it's been making but haven't seen anything.
Brian, you sure know your stuff! :D
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Ok, here's my review. Great job, Brian!

I always wanted to try Brian's Frostbite soap and finally I got to do so after buying some from Italian Barber. Here's what I think so far:

Ease of lathering: 10/10--1,2,3, BOOM - a lather explosion!

Longevity of lather: 10/10--This lather lasts forever!

General skincare: 8/10--Plenty of menthol in it and a pretty good post-shave feeling.

Scent: 9/10--I wish I knew how to describe it, but it's lovely.

Price: 7/10--Pricey a bit, but worth it.

Would I buy again: 9/10--Most probably, yes. This soap is terrific.

Krampert's Frostbite is completely different from Synergy Frost_byte in every way you can imagine. Brian created a lovely-scented product which has everything I love - tremendous lather, and a good, strong menthol effect and pretty good skincare. The Synergy Frost_byte created by Douglas Smythe is too eucalyptusy and medicinally-scented for many guys, and although the menthol effect is definitely more intense I still definitely prefer Brian's soap. Yes, it's not cheap, but the ends still justify the means and I would go for this one again!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good review Jay.
Regards,
Squire
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

Thanks!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm currently engaged in using this great product daily for as long as it may take to exhaust the tub. It's really slick and the overall performance is top notch.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary, I think I may have mentioned somewhere, sometime, that come summer I use it pretty much exclusively. But I also use it during the winter, just not everyday the way I do during the warm weather. My first tub, the very first that I gave my nod of approval to as being ready for production and not even having final "correct" packaging, has lasted from day one and I'm just now beginning to see the bottom of the tub. I don't shave every day though. But still, there's a lot of soap in the tub. :-)

I'm curious to know how long it lasts for you.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm starting to think that maybe the softness of the Plissoft synthetic bristles doesn't wipe out the soap as fast as a boar or even a badger brush might while being loaded aggressively for 15 seconds. Stated in other words, I think the synthetic takes what little soap it needs to make it's legendary lather, while the boar/badger need more soap to make that same amount of lather. I have no proof whatsoever to support this theory, other than the fact that both the TOBS Lime and now the Krampert's didn't seem to be shrinking as much from day to day (hardly discernible) as they used when I was using those other kinds of brushes. I guess time will tell. I could be wrong!
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting. Frankly I don't know either. I just use it. Approx 2/3 of my shaves are lathered with boar and badger and I load heavily. There's a lot of soap in a tub. In checking my cabinet just now most other soaps are 140-170 grams. The Frostbite, assuming you have the full size tub, is 200 grams or close to 6 ounces when new. It can be used for quite a long time and "movement" in the level can be difficult to see. Frankly I know of no way to accurately gauge it either. Because of an uncontrolled amount of water being added to the soap with every use, weight wouldn't be reliable. It would work from one month to the next as a general trend. Feel like using a Plisson for an entire month, then swap to badger or boar for another? I know I don't. I don't have the self discipline to stick to that sort of regimen any more. I'm still reluctant to do something like that after burning out on blade testing years ago.

Does anyone else have any ideas?
Brian