An Unusual Plisson

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Thalay Sagar

Re: An Unusual Plisson

Post by Thalay Sagar »

David, congrats. That is a gorgeous brush.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wow David! Congratulations!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Thank you very much, gents! :D
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

TheMonk wrote:I finally managed to score my holiest of holy grails, an NOS vintage (sticker had to be replaced) Plisson Plexiglass HWM, Size 18"
What?!?! Why would you possibly want to replace the decals? No! Leave the originals, they are essential to the brush's identification and identity.

Buzz
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

M6Classic wrote:
TheMonk wrote:I finally managed to score my holiest of holy grails, an NOS vintage (sticker had to be replaced) Plisson Plexiglass HWM, Size 18"
What?!?! Why would you possibly want to replace the decals? No! Leave the originals, they are essential to the brush's identification and identity.

Buzz
No alternative, Buzz, the original sticker came off when wiping the handle with a wet cloth. :( Better to have a new one, then none at all!
David

M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

TheMonk wrote:[

No alternative, Buzz, the original sticker came off when wiping the handle with a wet cloth. :( Better to have a new one, then none at all!
How strange. I have never heard of a Plisson decal falling off, even after decades of use!

Buzz
brothers

Post by brothers »

There's always a first time for everything! 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:There's always a first time for everything! 8)
Indeed! I'm hoping it won't happen again, though... that would be too unlucky!
David

rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

A size 16 EW is currently visiting and I can't wait to try it. It's gorgeous, and by far the largest brush I've ever held. An 18 must require two hands. :D Best of luck with your HMW.
Ron
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

rsp1202 wrote:A size 16 EW is currently visiting and I can't wait to try it. It's gorgeous, and by far the largest brush I've ever held. An 18 must require two hands. :D Best of luck with your HMW.
I use a #24 HMW and my son has a #20 HMW...we like big brushes. One certainly does not need brushes this big, but they are very cool. They are also perfectly utile.

Buzz
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

M6Classic wrote:
rsp1202 wrote:A size 16 EW is currently visiting and I can't wait to try it. It's gorgeous, and by far the largest brush I've ever held. An 18 must require two hands. :D Best of luck with your HMW.
I use a #24 HMW and my son has a #20 HMW...we like big brushes. One certainly does not need brushes this big, but they are very cool. They are also perfectly utile.

Buzz
I agree with Buzz, but then again I like big brushes in general. I have a Plisson Horn HWM #20 (which is actually slightly shorter then this Plexi), and I love using it as well. Also, being a bowl latherer is one more reason I tend to prefer bigger and taller brushes.
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I really like the looks of that horn one, Gary... How big is it?
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's an 18. I couldn't ask for a better brush. I like my brushes large, and this one's plenty big enough but it's smaller than the Plexi.
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:It's an 18. I couldn't ask for a better brush. I like my brushes large, and this one's plenty big enough but it's smaller than the Plexi.
It seemed quite big. Have you used it yet, or are you keeping it NOS in order to sell it to me in a few years? :mrgreen:
David

brothers

Post by brothers »

I've used it a lot since I got it. Mostly on soaps so far, I have a hunch it'll be outstanding with creams when the time comes. Not for sale! :D
Gary

TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

brothers wrote:I've used it a lot since I got it. Mostly on soaps so far, I have a hunch it'll be outstanding with creams when the time comes. Not for sale! :D
I know, I know... But if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me. :wink:
David

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

beautiful brush gary. a few years ago I was going to buy one of them, but for financial reasons decided to take a pass :) I have a smaller plisson (i think its a 12) but i hardly ever use it

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks Clive. It was getting passed over lately in favor of different brushes, but today I wanted to see how it performed with the Cella. I could have guessed, it did good. It's as butter-smooth on the face as the synthetic EJ STF XL, but more luxurious, naturally! Made me feel guilty not using it more often.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I think its hard to only use one brush, especially if you mix up soaps and creams everyday........might be becks induced imagination, but brushes that have seen a cream arent the same afterwards when used with a soap and so i have brushes for both creams and soaps and never shall they be mixed up :D :D :D Anyway, all this to say that I hope your plisson gets used more often but i understand -- in my own warped way -- if it doesnt :) :)

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum