DR Harris Almond Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
RazorRamone

DR Harris Almond Soap

Post by RazorRamone »

Year after year of trying various soaps, I simply can't buy a better performing soap than DRH Almond.

I find even the vintage shaving soaps like Yardley and Pens English Fern are not quite on par.

Anybody else here have the same appreciation of this soap?

RR
Steve

Re: DR Harris Almond Soap

Post by Steve »

Well, I prefer the new DRH Sandalwood scent but I do think it is one of the best performing English soaps. I think Pre de Provence is on par or maybe even a slightly better performer but no Sandalwood scent.

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Harris Almond is first rate stuff. Others may be as good but there are none better.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I do like Harris soaps in general -- find the almond scent a bit different from the other almonds I have used --- but it's a great performer nonetheless.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Reached for the Harris Lavender last week and it was excellent. Like others have said other soaps are par but none are better. It's just top notch on performance and only preference in other categories is going to mitigate that IMHO.

Chris
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

I have added several of the new artisan soaps to my arsenal, notably Cold River Soap Works and Barrister & Mann. Both are truly excellent. Still look forward to my D.R. Harris Almond and Lavender.
John
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Harris soaps are number one in my opinion.
I still long for a Rose scented one though.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

There was a time when I thought I could learn to enjoy the scent of the Almond, but it wasn't meant to be. I just liked Marlborough best of all, even though I have hard water and it took more soap to get the rich abundant lather I prefer. Then along came Sandalwood, which is the DRH soap I prefer above them all, but Marlborough is just fine. I have been thinking I might get a tub of Sandalwood cream because I like the firm consistency and strength of scent that the DRH tubs represent. Might decide I prefer that to the soap. One never knows.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

brothers wrote:There was a time when I thought I could learn to enjoy the scent of the Almond, but it wasn't meant to be. I just liked Marlborough best of all, even though I have hard water and it took more soap to get the rich abundant lather I prefer. Then along came Sandalwood, which is the DRH soap I prefer above them all, but Marlborough is just fine. I have been thinking I might get a tub of Sandalwood cream because I like the firm consistency and strength of scent that the DRH tubs represent. Might decide I prefer that to the soap. One never knows.
And then there is the variety found in switching back and forth.
John
Scrum

Post by Scrum »

I have to agree. I have 3 soaps on the go and the D.R, Harris is the best.
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Good to see others' appreciation of DRH soap.

I have tried too many soaps than I care to admit. I have become like several of the long term members on the forum. I now use only a couple of soaps that I really like with the rest of my collection rarely used.

DR Harris Almond, a Tulip T3, my Canadian Rocket with a Bolzano blade and an application of Trumpers Wild Fern have become my primary shaving tools.

No more desire to try new products...

Cheers,

RR