Rockwell Razors?!?!?!?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Omeg-Man

Rockwell Razors?!?!?!?

Post by Omeg-Man »

I think I may have made a mistake by investing in the KickStarter project Rockwell Razors. Anyone else feeling remorse?
CMur12

Re: Rockwell Razors?!?!?!?

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Omeg-Man -

Welcome to SMF.

I've never heard of the Rockwell razor, nor have I seen any discussion of it here. I did a search of it on the internet ( rockwellrazors.com ) and found the item you are surely talking about. It looks interesting and the fact that it comes with 6 steps from mild to aggressive in three heads is both unique and promising. I think the price is very reasonable. I'll have to give it some thought, myself.

Have you heard anything negative about it?

- Murray
brothers

Post by brothers »

A few weeks ago I came across the Rockwell project, I think it was through a social media wet shaving site. No doubt the entrepreneurs/developers did their homework on their razor. I didn't see anything dubious. The reason I am not currently interested is that if I had one, I would immediately figure out which of the several baseplate designs works best, and that's the only one I would need or ever use. The rest would be of no use to me. It is an impressive razor "set" and if I recall, the price is reasonable. The quality of fit and finish remains to be seen as time passes. Like Murray. I am curious to learn what specific details are being questioned by the gentleman.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I haven't heard of the Rockwell either, and have no idea of whether or not it is a quality product.

That aside, however, it is a great example of how the surging demand for DE razors that is leading to a proliferation of new products. I mostly prefer vintage Gillettes and am therefore unlikely to try this product. Nevertheless, it's a great thing that so many new razors are coming out . . . something to celebrate in and of itself!
Omeg-Man

Post by Omeg-Man »

CMur12 wrote:Hi Omeg-Man -

Welcome to SMF.

I've never heard of the Rockwell razor, nor have I seen any discussion of it here. I did a search of it on the internet ( rockwellrazors.com ) and found the item you are surely talking about. It looks interesting and the fact that it comes with 6 steps from mild to aggressive in three heads is both unique and promising. I think the price is very reasonable. I'll have to give it some thought, myself.

Have you heard anything negative about it?

- Murray
I actually supported their KickStarter campaign and received the razor. What I received was a very unprofessional/unfinished product with base plate bars that were warped outward leaving the ends of the blade more exposed than in the middle. They acknowledged that the first shipment was defective and, to their credit, they sent out replacements. However, the replacement are just as bad. If anyone is thinking about buying one, they should wait until they iron out all the wrinkles.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the information. Hopefully they can resolve the problems for the sake of the future of their product's success.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks for the update, Omeg-Man. It is an intriguing concept and I hope they do get the bugs worked out.

- Murray
scoop

Post by scoop »

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I'd checked SMF before I bought one of these recently and as there was nothing I could find beyond this thread I thought I should add a review.
The quality control issues mentioned earlier don't seem to be a problem with the current supply (on an n=1 basis!) as the fit and finish of the razor I received was good.
Whilst some may think the method of adjustment a little odd (it requires a plate change/flip), it actually suits my own needs. I like adjustable razors and have both a Futur and Progress in my 'collection', but I don't adjust mid-shave. I tend to find a setting I like with a particular blade type (which I've narrowed down over time to either Feather or yellow 7'clocks) and stick with it.
As to the shave itself, I'm a two pass person, and I tried this with a fresh Gillette blade and Trumper coconut oil soap (I'd been using the combo for a couple of weeks so I could compare the change). The knurled handle provides a sure grip and doesn't get slippy when wet. It's very easy to get the angle right with the head and the weight of it reminds me of the Futur - you can just let the weight of the razor do the work! I use the Futur less and less as I find the large head can be a problem under my nose. No such issues with the Rockwell. The head moved smoothly across my face, no dragging or skipping and I'm pleased with how smooth my face was after I'd finished. I've been using it for the last week or so and it continues to impress. I really appreciate having the weight of the Futur back with a little more maneuverability. Given this is a stainless steel razor, I think it represents good value. As long as you don't want to adjust mid-shave!