Brylcream, A Little Dab Will Do Ya

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Brylcream, A Little Dab Will Do Ya

Post by Squire »

Jason while at Walmart yesterday I sniffed the Vitalis and found the scent cheap, synthetic and loud enough to conflict with a quality aftershave such as Taylor's Shave Shop or Harris Arlington. Just not something I could find a use for.

Can't speak to the other points you raised but the only scent I want on my pillow is the lady's.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Thanks for the information, gentlemen.
Squire wrote:Jason while at Walmart yesterday I sniffed the Vitalis and found the scent cheap, synthetic and loud enough to conflict with a quality aftershave such as Taylor's Shave Shop or Harris Arlington. Just not something I could find a use for.

Can't speak to the other points you raised but the only scent I want on my pillow is the lady's.
Squire...what product has a better scent and is still effective?
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jason if I used a hair dressing it would be Pashana.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jason, you really should take a whiff for yourself, rather than depending on the impressions of others. As you see from our own written impressions, there are honest differences of opinions. What one enjoys might be repulsive to another. Price is another aspect that can be misleading. Some folks think that everything expensive has to smell good, and everything that doesn't cost much is obligated to stink.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Brothers,
I agree with you. I took a whiff of my Brylcreem this morning. While it is not odorless, I found it to smell pretty good. Also applied Mennen Skin Bracer after my shave. Maybe it was guilty of a synthetic odor, I still found it to be acceptable.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh by all means smell before buying which is easily done because they are so cheaply made there is no protective seal to break when removing the cap.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

If I recall accurately, my Taylor 74 Lime and Pehhaligon's English Fern after shaves didn't have plastic bands on the lid either, but in contrast, the Pinaud products, including the hair tonic do have those. As fast as the Vitalis flies off the shelves of Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, and what-have-you, obviously a lot of people find it pleasing. It would be a large number considering how many Walmarts and etc. there are. YMMV and all that jazz. :P
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, it's easy enough to try the high end stuff because the stores that sell such goods will assist you in obtaining a sample.

In the other places you can just help yourself because they don't care.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

brothers wrote: As fast as the Vitalis flies off the shelves of Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, and what-have-you, obviously a lot of people find it pleasing.
Gary there are members of this Board whose opinion I value but I don't take grooming advise from the vast herd of Walmart shoppers.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

You're the best!
Last edited by brothers on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

50+ years ago, when I HAD hair, there wasn't a hair grooming product that escaped my clutches.
Since "clashing" scents was a foreign notion, and the Old Spice a/s I used tended to overpower
any other lingering fragrances from hair tonics, which ones I used depended almost solely on
my judgment of "performance, and the "look" of the hair after use."
Nowadays, using a product like Vitalis, even tho its scent tends to fade quickly, isn't much of
an option. Brylcreem, Protein 29 and the like are acceptable scentwise but their feel on the air
are turn-offs.
Enter Mystic Waters hair oil...virtually scent free, leaving hair manageable and feeling non-
greasy, it MAY be a workable option for what hair remains. Time will tell and YMMV and all that
but so far a little dab seems to do me!
jr/John
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh yes, 'the look', 50 years ago we had to have it and the hair treatments as well. Don't want the grandkids to see those pictures.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ouchmychin wrote:Over 60 years ago a new product hit the market. It was Brylcream and the ad was as in my title. Now after using nothing but conditioner after a shower for many years I have been having management problems and I recalled it. Found a tube at Walmart and tried it. I am here to report that with restraint it does what I recall. Hair lays flat until dry and then brush or comb restores a perfectly natural look with management to boot. One of the best discoveries in recent years. And it is dirt cheap.
Pete, I agree with your point about using the Brylcreem with restraint. Per the caveat "a little dab", those unfortunates who may have gone a bit heavy on the Brylcreem were sometimes referred to as "greasers". Yuck! :D
Gary

FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

I use a tiny amount as a hair conditioner in the winter. Great stuff. One bottle seems to be lasting forever.
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

well, after a two-year experiment with Mystic Water Hair Oil, I noted as I let my hair (on the sides only-just a few wisps
on top) grow longer the oil "hold" was lacking.

found some Brylcreem on Amazon, tried it, and am glad to report a little dab is doing me just fine. all the positive attributes
you mentioned are there for me as well. I haven't yet tried, but probably will, using a tiny bit of the MW hair oil mainly as a
conditioner to supplement the Brylcreem. but even alone, I am glad I tried it.

full disclosure: in the 50's and 60's, the Brylcreem product of those times was in my hair care rotation but can't remember any
of the specifics, other than I had a full head of very fine hair...crew cut during football season, much longer during outdoor
track season.

thanks for the reminder, guys!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John