Castle Forbes Lime

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Castle Forbes Lime

Post by brothers »

I've noticed that the fragrance has a beautiful bloom after the lather's made and the shave is in progress. It seems to be more than just the single note lime essential oil. The more I use it the more I like it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ghart

Re: Castle Forbes Lime

Post by ghart »

Agreed, it's one of the best. If only CF would come up with a rose cream…

George
brothers

Post by brothers »

George, wouldn't it be interesting to get a peek into the Castle Forbes test labs to see if they are looking into other fragrances! Meanwhile, if Rose is what we want, our options are already pretty good, considering the likes of Harris, Truefitt, Trumpers, Salters, Taylors, etc. :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

CF Lime is absolutely wonderful. One of my favorite scents, as well as one of my favorite creams.
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

This morning, following a 15 second loading time on the cream with the Rooney Finest, the result was a mountain of rich thick and very slick lather. Can't beat it!
Gary

BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

Absolutely the best lime soap I've used. I would love to try their other scents, but I am resolved not to buy any more shaving stuff (hard or software) until I've used up some of what I currently have. I'm curious what to call the consistancy of the soap -- it's not a hard soap, not a cream, not a croap (like Proraso tub).

Whatever it may be called, the first time I used it I dribbled a little hot water on the surface to bloom it (as I do with hard soaps) and when I was ready to load my brush, it had turned to mush -- useable, but not something I will repeat. It's similar to Wet Shaving Products RUSTIC shaving soaps, or the Martin de Candre Soaps. I think Tabula Rasa soap is similar too -- rather like soft spread margarine.

No blooming needed!
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can say this, the first time I lathered Castle Forbes Lime was like the first time I lathered the old Coates Lime, which is to say yes, this is the good stuff.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

If only CF would come up with a rose cream
9 thumbs up to that idea.

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just another few days until the CF Lime runs out. When I can use the same one every day until it's all gone, it's a clear sign that it's a favorite. Negative - it's all gone.:cry: Positive - I was able to enjoy many wonderful shaves. :)
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Even though the tub was only about 1/3 remaining when I started the final attack on the lovely CF Lime, my daily loading of about 15 to 20 seconds resulted in an ample lather. When all was said and done, that small amount of this very firm shaving "cream" yielded another 53 shaves. That is remarkable.

(Note: I liked the Lime, but I am positively addicted to the Cedarwood/Sandalwood, and was able to restock enough additional tubs to last me and my heirs several decades to come. It'll be quite firm, that's for sure.)
Gary