razor burn....please help

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
kennethj

razor burn....please help

Post by kennethj »

What can I use to treat razor burn on the cheeks and neck. I am not even sure it is razor burn. I am getting over a case of the hives. I have tried oatmeal bath, cold water on the face, and Eucerin redness relief. Nothing seems to help.
brothers

Re: razor burn....please help

Post by brothers »

I"m sure it is an annoying condition, to say the least. Have you considered seeing a dermatologist?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Kenneth have you tried any of the shaving balms?
Regards,
Squire
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

I have no shaving balms. I saw my doctor and his diagnosis was hives from a food allergy. Rash everywhere on my body. He prescribed me some antihistamines and seems to help. My neck though, just below the shaving area is red and seems to be inflamed. I just bought some aloe vera and we'll see if that helps.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Hi Kenneth,

Hives indicates a reaction to something, yes? (Whoops! I just saw that what you wrote about what your Dr. told you.)

True razor burn is when layers of living skin cells are removed In the shaving process exposing the underlying nerves. It will last for maybe 12 hours or so until the growing skin covers the nerves back over. I'm not a Dr. but it would seem to me that if yours doesn't go away in that time that it might be something else. Possibly an allergic reaction to something.

But if it is razor burn the best "cure" is to prevent it. Use less pressure on the razor and/or a less aggressive razor are 2 things that come to mind to prevent it.

A menthol AS can help if it really is razor burn since menthol has a mild anesthetic action. So might a menthol soap help, but the real solution would be to stop removing layers of living skin cells. (that's if it really is razor burn)

If it isn't razor burn an OTC cortisone cream might help. The cream can actually be amazingly soothing within minutes. That's been my experience with it when I got dermatitis at work from contacting chemicals. Again, I'm no Dr. .
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
kennethj

Post by kennethj »

Yes, it's an allergic reaction to food. Probably raw shitaki mushrooms, possibly strawberries. I am trying out Organic Coconut Oil to sooth it and moisturize it. Heck, that's what they use in a lot of shaving creams.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

menthol is an irritant. try using witch hazel. thayers rose witch hazel is nice!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I would say consult the dermatologist about it. In the mean time stop shaving and let your skin heal. Once healed, take the dermatologist's advice and proceed to ease back into your routine that way.

Though we have a vast collective knowledge an internet board is not the place to get medical advice even for something related to what we advise about (shaving with traditional implements).

Hope that helps.

Chris
FireDragon76

Post by FireDragon76 »

I use Oxy pads on razor-burned skin, the salicylic acid has a calming effect. I think there's also a Tend Skin product for razor burn and bumps that has the same ingredient.
SirCur

Post by SirCur »

gil3591 wrote:menthol is an irritant. try using witch hazel. thayers rose witch hazel is nice!
Gil, agreed - witch hazel is very soothing and Thayers has a selection of them. It's great even if you don't have razor burn ...

... Steve
To want what I have
To take what I'm given with grace
For this I pray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

SirCur wrote:
gil3591 wrote:menthol is an irritant. try using witch hazel. thayers rose witch hazel is nice!
Gil, agreed - witch hazel is very soothing and Thayers has a selection of them. It's great even if you don't have razor burn ...

... Steve
+2

I'm an aloe-lemon and lavender fan myself.

But if you have a skin rash that is not shaving related, you may wish to consider would be to skip shaving altogether for a few days while it clears up. In the past I have developed small ulcers around my nose when I've had a really bad head cold from tissues and the like .... and have simply had to refrain for a few days while the inflammation either goes away or in some cases while I treat it with prescribed ointments. Shaving these irritations is not a pleasant experience at all.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Kenneth, it would appear that your hives aren't caused by shaving, but it would certainly be desirable to aggravate them as little as possible by your shaving practices.

Though I originally learned to shave with a Schick Injector and a Gillette DE, it was merely to get the job done at that time. For the last eight years that I have frequented these forums, I have experimented with milder and more aggressive razors, as well as different qualities of lather, to get the best shave while struggling to live with very sensitive skin.

What works best for me is a very mild razor, a sharp blade, and thin, wet lather that provides maximal glide and minimal cushion.

As a starting point, I choose a razor for the skin and a blade for the beard.
1. I have very sensitive skin, so a mild razor works best for me. I'm using a Gillette Tech. Other mild razors that would work are the Gillette Super Speed, Merkur Progress on the lowest/gentlest setting, Weishi TTO, the Feather AS-D1, and possibly the Feather AS-D2. I find even the Edwin Jagger too aggressive for my purposes.
2. I have a coarse, but not very dense, beard, which benefits from a sharper blade (but not a Feather). I like the Personna Med Preps, Perma-Sharp Supers, Super Iridiums, Treet Dura Sharps, and such.

The problem with a mild razor and its very narrow blade gap is that cushiony lather makes it hard to achieve an effective cut. I find I have to fight the cushion by applying pressure, which causes irritation, and I still can't achieve a good cut of the whiskers. A thin, wet, slick lather provides optimal glide and adequate protection for the skin, while allowing ready access to the whiskers for an effective mow with a lighter touch. With this combination, I get an effective shave with the least irritation.

I hope this helps you find what works best for you.

- Murray