Did you enjoy a cigar today?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
pausted

Did you enjoy a cigar today?

Post by pausted »

Thought I would start this thread. We'll see if there is any interest.

I smoke one cigar a day. We have a screened patio on the rear southeast corner of our home. I am able to enjoy a cigar in my screened "man cave" even in the hot south Texas summer because of our prevailing southeast breeze off the Gulf of Mexico. Normally, 4.00pm is "cigar time".

This afternoon I enjoyed an Arturo Fuente Double Chateau. It is 6.75 inches long and 50 ring gauge. Filler and binder are Dominican and the wrapper is Connecticut Shade tobacco. This is a mild to medium strength cigar with sweet overtones. A very enjoyable hour and a half.

I hope you enjoy a cigar today. If there is interest, I'll add to this thread from time to time.
Best regards,

Basil
Kyle76

Re: Did you enjoy a cigar today?

Post by Kyle76 »

I do enjoy a nice cigar from time to time, and A. Fuente is a favorite brand. I'm no expert on stogies, but we have a nice locally-owned shop in our town with a good humidor and several smoking areas, although I've never smoked one in the store. I haven't had a cigar in awhile. I'll be interested to hear about other brands that you recommend.
Jim
pausted

Post by pausted »

Today I am smoking a Partagas 1845 Toro Grande, a large cigar...6.25inches long with a 54 ring gauge. Cigar makers are moving toward thicker cigars and for me, 54 is perfect. It seems that most of my favorites are about 6" long and 52 to 54 ring. Since I smoke only one per day, I like a cigar that will last an hour or more.

This Partagas cigar is rather new to their line. For years they wrapped all their cigars with African Cameroon tobacco and their main line is still made that way. This 1845 line uses an Ecuador Habano wrapper. It is a dark, reddish brown leaf...very silky and lustrous. Many of the new offerings from the various makers are using this wrapper. It adds strength and body to the cigar.. It seems to be the new wrapper of choice these days.

I really like this cigar. It is one of the few that I buy in quantity. It never fails to please me.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

OK Guys, this will be my last post on the subject because its not receiving any comments. Maybe this is a shaving forum. :D

This afternoon I enjoyed a Romeo Y Julieta Star Crossed Quarto (6" long, 54 ring gauge). This cigar is made by Altadis USA and sold exclusively by JR Cigars. It is wrapped in an Equador Connecticut shade grown wrapper and filled with Dominican Republic tobacco. It is an easy going mild to medium cigar.

Incidentally, JR Cigars (google them) is my favorite vendor of cigars. They are principally owned by Altadis USA so they carry some Altadis lines that are not carried elsewhere.

Hope you have enjoyed my little ramblings.
Best regards,

Basil
brothers

Post by brothers »

Basil, you had a good idea. As for me, I like smoking cigars, I just don't smoke 'em. In my past I've smoked a lot of cigars and pipes. My health insurance plan will change my coverage for using tobacco. Actually, I have discovered a long time ago that if I smoke, I get sick. Guaranteed every time. If you had been successful in locating a few fellow smokers to talk about stuff, this thread would have provided guys like me with a vicarious means of something that once gave me enjoyment. Thanks for the effort. 8)
Last edited by brothers on Tue May 26, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Thanks, Gary.
Best regards,

Basil
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

I actually quite enjoy smoking a cigar - I do try to keep it under 3 or 4 a week, though. Just got back from Cuba last month, so I was able to replenish my stock! :mrgreen:
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Hey, I think this is a topic worthy of some attention here.

I really enjoy a good (but reasonably priced) cigar from time to time. April through
early November is my time of year as I too only smoke outside. When my faithful
and loving Australian cattle dog mix was still with us, he'd often join me...he didn't
seem to mind the smoke and enjoyed our one-way conversations on various topics of
import.'

Like me, he was conservative in his politics, so we rarely disagreed on most issues and
if he did differ, he was gentleman enough not to take it personally. His company made
\the cigar even more enjoyable...he raised every smoke to the level of a fine, expensive
cigar and special experience.

His successor wasn't with us all that long, so we never discovered if he shared a liking for
cigars So now my smokes are solitary and thus a bit less enjoyable. Still it would be nice
to share notes and experiences here, if we can keep this thread alive.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
pausted

Post by pausted »

TheMonk wrote:I actually quite enjoy smoking a cigar - I do try to keep it under 3 or 4 a week, though. Just got back from Cuba last month, so I was able to replenish my stock! :mrgreen:
David, glad that you were able to resupply. Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, Cuban cigars are hard to come by (legally) here in the US. I must admit that I have smoked a few over the years and while they are very good, I question the prices they seem to bring. I think it is mostly because of the "forbidden fruit" syndrome. The tobacco growers and cigar makers in the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua and Honduras are coming up with splendid cigars at a fraction of the price of Cubans. Now I must admit that I have never been to Cuba so I don't know what they cost there but I have purchased them legally at authorized Cuban cigar dealers ( so I know they weren't counterfeit) while vacationing in some Caribbean countries. I bought two not long ago in Belize and paid $12.00 each for them (I was on vacation :D ). Anyhow, they provided an excellent smoke but they were much more expensive than I would normally pay.

I would very much appreciate an education about buying them at the source if you feel like it.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

JRTASTER wrote:Hey, I think this is a topic worthy of some attention here.
it would be nice to share notes and experiences here, if we can keep this thread alive.
Thanks, John. I'll keep it up if there appears to be some interest.
Best regards,

Basil
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Please keep this thread alive, as I want to smoke a cigar vicariously through you guys. I had to abandon cigars six years ago following a diagnosis of cancer, but not related to cigars in any way; just on the advice of my oncologist. One of my favourite quotes is from Rudyard Kipling's "The Betrothed", "...a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. Light me another Cuba". :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bryan
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just remembered I have a Cuban cigar that was a gift from a relative who brought it back from somewhere in the middle east. My son-in-law has a humidor and he's got it safely tucked away in the little metal tube waiting for me whenever I get in the mood to enjoy it, and consequences be damned! :D Maybe with a glass of wine or Jack Daniel's, some hot summer evening.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
pausted

Post by pausted »

Gary, don't let us lead you astray! :D
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

JRTASTER wrote:Hey, I think this is a topic worthy of some attention here.

I really enjoy a good (but reasonably priced) cigar from time to time. April through
early November is my time of year as I too only smoke outside. When my faithful
and loving Australian cattle dog mix was still with us, he'd often join me...he didn't
seem to mind the smoke and enjoyed our one-way conversations on various topics of
import.'

Like me, he was conservative in his politics, so we rarely disagreed on most issues and
if he did differ, he was gentleman enough not to take it personally. His company made
\the cigar even more enjoyable...he raised every smoke to the level of a fine, expensive
cigar and special experience.

His successor wasn't with us all that long, so we never discovered if he shared a liking for
cigars So now my smokes are solitary and thus a bit less enjoyable. Still it would be nice
to share notes and experiences here, if we can keep this thread alive.
John, i owe you an apology. I focused on your suggestion to keep the thread alive and ignored your story about your dogs. I am also a dog lover. My two gals, one a Siberian Husky and the other a Shitzsu (Mutt and Jeff) join me on the patio while I smoke a cigar. Please accept my apology. I'll be more careful to think about the post before opening my mouth in future.
Best regards,

Basil
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Basil,

no offense taken so no apology needed. besides: my reply was way off topic.

maybe we dog lovers-there are plenty here at SMF- need a forum topic on canine companions.
with the possible exception of wet shaving, our pets seem to elevate many of our everyday
experiences to beyond the ordinary. cigar and pipe smoking sure come to mind.

i'll be checking this thread regularly to see what you guys are smoking and saying about your
cigar preferences and opinions!
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

pausted wrote:
TheMonk wrote:I actually quite enjoy smoking a cigar - I do try to keep it under 3 or 4 a week, though. Just got back from Cuba last month, so I was able to replenish my stock! :mrgreen:
David, glad that you were able to resupply. Unfortunately, as I am sure you know, Cuban cigars are hard to come by (legally) here in the US. I must admit that I have smoked a few over the years and while they are very good, I question the prices they seem to bring. I think it is mostly because of the "forbidden fruit" syndrome. The tobacco growers and cigar makers in the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua and Honduras are coming up with splendid cigars at a fraction of the price of Cubans. Now I must admit that I have never been to Cuba so I don't know what they cost there but I have purchased them legally at authorized Cuban cigar dealers ( so I know they weren't counterfeit) while vacationing in some Caribbean countries. I bought two not long ago in Belize and paid $12.00 each for them (I was on vacation :D ). Anyhow, they provided an excellent smoke but they were much more expensive than I would normally pay.

I would very much appreciate an education about buying them at the source if you feel like it.
I do know that it's hard for you gents to buy Cubans, although it seems that limitation may soon come to an end. Honestly, I've smoked quite a few NCs (Non Cubans), and although I'll admit I never splurged for the more expensive ones like Arturo Fuente's Opus X, I can honestly say all the ones I tried failed to impress and, worse then that, a few like the Aroma de Caribe Amor Belicoso were actually horrible smokes, which is something I don't remember ever happening with a decent Cuban cigar.
Cuban cigars can be expensive, but so can NCs, and sometimes even more so - an Arturo Fuente Opus X costs $30, and with that kind of cash you can buy what is unarguably one of the best and more luxurious Cuban cigars in the world, a Cohiba Behike.

The rule to buying cigars in Cuba is buying exclusively in La Casa del Habano stores, which are the official government stores. No matter what anyone tells you, even if they try selling you cigars at the actual cigar factory, only buy at an official LCDH. Pricing is government regulated also, so whichever LCDH you buy from, you'll pay exactly the same. The airport stores can also be a good spot to buy cigars, assuming they're well kept.

In terms of actual pricing in Cuba, most cigars cost around 50% less there then here in Portugal, but we are also one of the most expensive European countries to buy cigars. You can buy really good cigars there for $5-$7 - and I'm talking really good 1h/1h30m smokes, not your average stuff. A few examples:
- H. Upmann Magnum 46: $7,25
- Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 2: $7
- Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2: $6,05
- Montecristo No. 4: $5,55
- Ramon Allones Specially Selected: $6,05

Cheaper but also quite good cigars, specially with some age on them, are the Partagas and Romeo y Julieta Mille Fleurs, which currently cost $3,15 there.

Oh and BTW, yesterday I smoked a Bolivar Belicosos Finos (which I actually brought from Cuba) - very nice cigar, although a bit strong for the middle of the day:

David

pausted

Post by pausted »

David, many thanks for your thorough and educational reply. The prices in Cuba appear to be quite reasonable for their high quality cigars.

Here in the US, good Dominican cigars regularly exceed those prices if one is willing to pay full retail. I'm not willing to do that. We have a local merchant here in town who usually puts his cigars on sale each Monday at 40% off. I can buy $7 to $8 cigars for less than $5. That's when I make my purchases. Also, the internet vendors sell at less than retail.

You are indeed fortunate to be able to enjoy Cubans in that same price range.

Thanks again.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

This afternoon I'm enjoying another nice cigar from the Altadis factory in the Dominican Republic. The brand is Anthology and the shape is "Variant" a 6"X54 rg. This cigar is wrapped in the Equador Habano tobacco with a Nicaraguan binder and Dominican filler. Its a medium to full bodied smoke. That wrapper tobacco really strikes my fancy.

The only place I have found this cigar is online at JRCigars. It may be exclusive to them but I'm not sure about that. This is the other cigar I purchase in quantity, the first being the Partagas I spoke about earlier. I am a pretty big fan of Altadis cigars. They have the non Cuban rights to several of the Cuban brands...H. Upmann, Romeo y Julieta, and Montecristo...to name a few. I understand that their Dominican factory is the largest in the Caribbean. They make some pretty darn good cigars.
Best regards,

Basil
pausted

Post by pausted »

Cigars International is another vendor with a large internet presence. They sell a brand under their own label called CI Legends. The cigars are made by several different makers and have a common size...5.75"X54 rg. Today I'm smoking a Ci Legend made by A.J. Fernandez. I believe his factory in in Nicaragua. I've enjoyed every cigar produced by Mr. Fernandez so i sprung for a box of these awhile back. It's a very enjoyable medium bodied, affordable cigar. I'll likely keep these on hand.
Best regards,

Basil
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Got off work early, enjoyed a very nice Punch Punch:

David