Daylight Savings Time

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Daylight Savings Time

Post by Squire »

My furry children are a bit put off by this. Reptar the ferret is loudly crunching breakfast, Her Royal Highness demanded to be let outside then more loudly demanded to be let back in because it's still dark, the ground is cold, and her paws got wet. Alexander stretched slightly then said the hell with it I'm not getting out of bed. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to brew a pot of coffee because Her Royal Preciousness dried her paws on my chest before curling up in my lap and if I get up everybody gets up.

Only the government could come up with the idea you can cut a foot off the top of a blanket then stitch on the bottom and proclaim you've made a longer blanket.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Re: Daylight Savings Time

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard somewhere that Ben Franklin came up with the DST idea and thought it hysterically funny that all the lemmings bought the BS reasoning and would reset their clocks rather than just get up later and go to bed later.

I still wonder, if it's a good idea for the spring, summer, and fall when we have plenty of light, why isn't it an even better idea for the winter?

At least one state has the spheroids to swim against the current.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes, Arizona, who gets along fine without it.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Animals seem to adjust pretty quick.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yes they do Gary, our dogs and the chickens in the coop didn't even notice the clock change.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Squire wrote:Yes, Arizona, who gets along fine without it.
So does Saskatchewan.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:
Squire wrote:Yes, Arizona, who gets along fine without it.
So does Saskatchewan.
Apparently for the good of the farming industry so I am told every time I travel there for business .... which has become much rarer than a couple of years ago.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

As did, until fairly recently, parts of Indiana. Several other States, Texas, Michigan and Missouri currently have legislation pending to abolish DST altogether.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Daylight Saving Time - How Is This Still A Thing?

a half decent 3 minute time sink :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0NW9ufUUw
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

That was good, Clive.

- Murray
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

I'm no Benjamin Franklin, but I've come up with "another" great idea!

How about in the winter when it's really cold, just move the "freezing" mark on the thermometer down 10 or 20 degrees -- everyone will be so much warmer and happier.
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

jww wrote:Apparently for the good of the farming industry so I am told
Wendell that's the story the proponents spread a century ago but farmers then and now agree it's a dumb idea. Livestock respond to daylight, crops and timber to Seasons, and none are affected in any way by an arbitrary measure of time.

My Grandfather, who operated farming and timber operations until his passing at age 92, refused to ever change his watch or the clocks in his house to accommodate what he considered an asinine government idea.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

BiffBuff, you're an absolute genius! =D> =D> Imagine all the energy the government can tell us we'll save! It'll also "prove" global warming so that they no longer need to fudge and handpick the data.

Or recalibrate our odometers to a shorter mile! More miles to the gallon.

Or shorten the year to extend livespans!

An absolute genius! Please, don't let "them" hear of this. It's sometimes difficult enough to separate the lies told. If there's no common measurement it'll just get more difficult for us.
Brian

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:
jww wrote:Apparently for the good of the farming industry so I am told
Wendell that's the story the proponents spread a century ago but farmers then and now agree it's a dumb idea. Livestock respond to daylight, crops and timber to Seasons, and none are affected in any way by an arbitrary measure of time.

My Grandfather, who operated farming and timber operations until his passing at age 92, refused to ever change his watch or the clocks in his house to accommodate what he considered an asinine government idea.
Makes sense -- I never really believed the story. Don't know why we bother ----
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

It is my understanding that there exists a government department which calculates the amount of energy saved through DST every year.
Ed
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Probably similar to the department who recently told us that the thermometers used in the early 1900s to measure global temp' and todays thermometers for the same use needed recalibration so as to "prove" global warming. (NOAA)

I couldn't make it up if I tried.
Brian

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's the same department that told us DST would benefit farmers.
Regards,
Squire
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Never been a fan of DST. Ingrained from my dad. During the summer...if you asked what time it was, he always responded..."its [current time], but its [an hour later] by the Sun".
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

and here I thought I was the only one to think DST was nuts. and when they actually extended the damn notion I totally
gave up hope of ever regaining my damaged sanity..

what bugged me most was that the U.S. government actually was hanging part of their "energy conservation" policy on to this
frail nail- absolute and total BS.

thanks for consoling me that I may not be alone in my madness.
Enjoying wet shaving, again.
jr/John
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

JayTrek wrote:Never been a fan of DST. Ingrained from my dad. During the summer...if you asked what time it was, he always responded..."its [current time], but its [an hour later] by the Sun".
My aunt would always refer to standard time as, "God's time," as if man had altered God's plan by creating DST.
Jim