What are you reading?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
The Seeker

Re: What are you reading?

Post by The Seeker »

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King
brothers

Post by brothers »

With Blood in Their Eyes by Thomas Cobb.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

jww wrote:I have never read any Hemmingway --- always intended to try it out, but never have gotten around to it ....... some day.
You could start with some short stories, Wendell. Hemingway was considered a master of the form. "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" is considered among his best. The Nick Adams stories are good. "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is one of my favorites. A very quick read.
Jim
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Without Fail by Lee Child
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today I finished reading With Blood in their Eyes by Thomas Cobb. Based on a true story from the first decade of the 1900's. Writing the book obviously required a lot of detailed research. The location was the newly established state of Arizona. It kept me wondering what was going to happen. LIfe was so difficult for these folks. I enjoyed the book.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Kyle76 wrote:
jww wrote:I have never read any Hemmingway --- always intended to try it out, but never have gotten around to it ....... some day.
You could start with some short stories, Wendell. Hemingway was considered a master of the form. "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" is considered among his best. The Nick Adams stories are good. "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" is one of my favorites. A very quick read.
Thanks for the tips, Jim.

Halfway through the last installment of Crossley-Holland's Arthur series. Every time I read these books, I am more and more impressed at the writing style and how much detail of the era is found in the dialog alone.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

infinite jest..... d f wallace

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

61 Hours by Lee Child, another in the Jack Reacher series. Kindle (and the others) is a remarkable innovation.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Just finished Crossley-Holland's King of the Middle March on the plane today to Edmonton. These truly are well written books .... really enjoyable reads indeed.

Now on to finding the next book .... think it'll be something US history.
Wendell

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

off topic somewhat, but just realized infinite jest is what started this thread almost 5 years ago!!!!!......if youre reading this richard, show your 'face' once in a while LOL
de gustibus non est disputandum
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Reading!?? Novels!???? Bwahahahaha! I wish I had time to read books. Far too busy. I'm lucky to keep up with my reading of periodicals related to my various pursuits. Then of course there is the 'net.

When I was a kid I always had my head buried in a book, but today I simply haven't the time.

I got my wife a Kindle and she uses it. I thought of getting one, but realized that I'd only have time to use it for reading the very same print periodicals I now get, and for doing research and such that I use my computer for. It would be a waste of $400. Oh, I do use my wifes Kindle, but just for information I can't access through the computer.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Priorities, Brian. I don't read nearly as much as I once did, but I do try to keep a book or two going at all times.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I find reading to be an escape. I gravitate to the adventure/war/crime etc. books. I have to read (and write) serious and boring stuff in my work, so I avoid technical/ philosophical/biographical/political material at all costs. A pursuit similar to thinking about and exploring the wet shaving hobby in terms of time spent/"lost" in enjoyment.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yeah, I wish I had the time Gary. I envy the folks who do.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Have read a lot during my lifetime. Much of it done lying on my stomach in bed. Got through a ton of books that way. Now with the invention of the Kindle I find myself reading a lot while waiting forever in Drs office (I have a ton of health problems) or mostly each morning, afternoon and evening while am meditating as I sit on the great white porcelain throne.

In all seriousness, reading is one thing that I pretty much made time to do. Be it a novel, a periodical or the daily newspaper I spent a bit of time each day reading away. Great form of relaxation for me.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I can honestly say reading has been one of the greatest uses of my time.
Regards,
Squire
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I kept only a small, select library of (to me) classics in hard cover after my last move. I've downloaded eBook versions in PDF as backups, when and where I could find them, along with some newer works. But I've never cared for serious reading via computer screen, much preferring the ancient tradition of eye to paper and the manual flip.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Cracked open Nathaniel Philbrick's Mayflower. Having read both In The Heart of the Sea when it first came out (and twice since) as well as Bunker Hill, my middle son knew of my appreciation for his writings. Only a couple of chapters in, but, like his other books I have read, this one looks to be another good one.

BTW -- if you are thinking of waiting until the movie comes out ---- read In The Heart of the Sea first --- it's really well written and while I expect Ron Howard's movie to be top notch, I also think that it's always better to read the book first and to not rely on a movie to determine whether a story is worth reading. Case in point -- all the people who have seen the Potter or TLOR and think they know the story/books .... sheesh (don't get me going).
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Martian by Andy Weir
Last edited by brothers on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I just finished How I Conquered Your Planet by John Swartzwelder. It isn't great, but it takes genius to write what amounts to a three stooges a novella (with no stooges).
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.