lemon or lime?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Big Swifty

lemon or lime?

Post by Big Swifty »

hello gents,
This is a question for those of you who enjoy the classic Gin & Tonic.
Now I know if I ask which gin is best or which tonic do you prefer would garner tons of different opinions, what I'm asking is referring to the garnish.
Do you prefer to use the new style/American way of using a lime or do you prefer the old school/English way of using a slice of lemon or nothing at all? I have also heard of gents who use Hendrick's gin like to use a slice of cucumber...
What's you're way?
BTW which gin? :P
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Rufus

Re: lemon or lime?

Post by Rufus »

"Old school/English" slice of lemon and only Schweppes tonic water. No more than two cubes of ice. I'll drink most London dry gins, but my favourite is Bombay Sapphire.
Bryan
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Lemon for a citrusy martini. Lime for a G&T.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Lime by all means, the more lime the better. I prefer the traditional London Dry style for G&Ts, partly because the heavier Juniper note stands up well to lime.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Jim, funny how you mention a citrusy martini, I have always used a thick lemon twist instead of an olive and I use orange bitters
that's how I like em'
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Lime, only lime.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I'm a dirty martini guy myself, Steve, but if I have a twist, it's lemon. Bombay Sapphire is great with a twist, but I don't like it so much with olives. My go-to for a dirty is cheap old Gordon's. In fact, I'm having one right now! In a restaurant, I'll usually order Tanqueray.
Jim
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I used to prefer regular Bombay to the sapphire but I only tried it once. I also like Tanqueray, tried the Tanq 10 a few times but decided the final taste wasn't worth the price premium as regular Tanq is expensive enough. Right now Im hooked on Plymouth, Brokers, and a small distillery called Brooklyn...good stuff. I would like to try a bottle of Beefeater 24
~Steve

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I liked Bombay back in the day but quit buying it when they dropped the proof from 94 to 86.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

hmmm,
thanks for the info Squire. I was not aware that Bombay used to be a traditional 94. I wonder why they dropped it, it has to be more than a thinner cut product yields more bottles..but maybe not
~Steve

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

My daughter recently gave me a bottle of Death's Door craft gin, which the liquor store clerk recommended as an alternative to Plymouth. It's heavy on the botanicals wth floral notes. It's pretty good. I realy like Boodle's, but it's not available through the state-controlled ABC system. I try to pick up a bottle when I'm in South Carolina.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

One of the reasons I stick with Beefeaters, still 94 proof, that and it's a good product.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Kyle76 wrote:My daughter recently gave me a bottle of Death's Door craft gin
Hmmmm.... Death's door, sounds like a place ive been a few times after a night of botanical "research" :wink:
~Steve

Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

1 part Sacred Gin, 2 parts Fever Tree tonic, 2 ice cubes and a twist of bergamot.

Failing that, whatever's on offer. Mountain Dew and own-brand bathtub gin, if need be.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Bargepole Gin does have a ring to it.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Not being too familiar with this particular beverage, I'll have whatever Michael's having. I like Mountain Dew.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Hey Gary, if you partake in the occasional "beverage" I highly suggest the G&T. Super easy to make and quite refreshing on a hot summer day
~Steve

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

On hot Summer days I keep the Gin in the freezer.
Regards,
Squire
MotifSky

Post by MotifSky »

I prefer lime, it's better in taste for me :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Big Swifty wrote:hello gents,
This is a question for those of you who enjoy the classic Gin & Tonic.
Now I know if I ask which gin is best or which tonic do you prefer would garner tons of different opinions, what I'm asking is referring to the garnish.
Do you prefer to use the new style/American way of using a lime or do you prefer the old school/English way of using a slice of lemon or nothing at all? I have also heard of gents who use Hendrick's gin like to use a slice of cucumber...
What's you're way?
BTW which gin? :P
I've just recently decided it's lime all the way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444