Why Synthetic?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
ThePossum

Why Synthetic?

Post by ThePossum »

I do not have a large collection of brushes. Like 3 boar and 5 badger in best and silvertip variety. Do not use the boars very often because I have moved to more of a cream rather than soap user. Still use MWF and Tabac soaps. I am satisfied with all my badgers and use the two best badgers the most. I am retired now so I do not have to shave everyday unless I feel like it.

Have been reading this forum and seem to see a trend in discussion about synthetic brushes. Because I am satisfied with the brushes I use now will you guys chime in and tell me why I should buy a synthetic? Also what mfg would you suggest?
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Why Synthetic?

Post by Squire »

I can't think of any reason why you should but can easily understand why you would. A unique feature of this hobby is a desire to acquire is regarded as normal.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

I must demure. For some few of us one and only one brush is sufficient and immensely satisfying.

Buzz
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

If you're happy with what you have I see no reason for you to buy one other than curiosity. But be aware that there is no grading that anyone agrees with or that works for all manufacturers. What I'm trying to say is that it's the wild west when it comes to finding one that you might like. The best way is to find user comments as best you can, and go from there based on the comments and your own findings.

But again, if you're happy with what you have why go through all of that?

Having written that, I'm happy with all of my synthetics, they are all quite soft, but of course there are variations, and I'm also happy with the varying backbone that they all have. But I live for variation in my shaves. I have no incentive to sell any brushes or to acquire more.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

All has been said, I guess. Synthetic brushes are not, IMO, better then badger or boar brushes... they're simply different, and great in their own right. The only way to really know... is trying one yourself. ;)
David

“Use any means to keep from being a genius, all means to become one.” John Cage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Why not? :D You're curious aren't you? I stubbornly resisted any intrusion onto that foreign shore, telling myself plastic brushes were a silly boy's toy. Not suitable for a real caveman who uses animal hair. :D Then one day I spotted one that caught my eye and the price was a song. One more barrier broken down. No need to ask, just placed the order and opened a new door.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Brutus

Post by Brutus »

I have been using Mühle Silvertip Fibre synthetics with very good results and am very pleased with them.

The brush works equally well with soaps and creams and handles some soaps that have the reputation to be difficult to produce a good lather with ease.
Work makes me a frequent traveller and one significant benefit of synthetic brushes is the quick time that it takes them to dry.
Rub the brush after use on a bath towel, put it in a container and it is ready to go...

After the first few months of use I tried some of my earlier silvertips again, but was so pleased with the synthetic brushes that I continued to use them exclusively.
But recently I have come back to real silvertips and have currently two on order.
It remeains to be seen whether these two will be as universal at the synthetics, but sometimes it is just fun to try a different brush.

I like to change my routine from time to time, reminds me of how I pick the evening drink from my liquor and wine cabinets...
Cheers.

B.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Possum, the synthetic is IMO the best for travelling because it dries so quickly.

Mine is the Omega #290049, which I see is currently on sale for $8.99.

http://shoeboxshaveshop.com/syntex-shaving-brushs.html
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

IMHO the Omega S-Brush is far better than a Syntex for travel mode, much kinder to the skin for face lathering. I tried a Syntex with the same handle as my current S-Brush and put it away. Not happy with face lathering results, and there is a world of difference with the S-Brush. In travel mode I face lather with a shot of cream from a tube, and have an easy time cleaning up with the fast drying S-Brush.

At home I'm working on a puck of Vermont Country Store Apothecary Lime Musk soap. Not so much by itself, but with a shot of KMF unscented and whipped up with a Bestshave Nr. 6 brush (mostly boar), it makes great lather. The brush I can pre-soak, give it a shake and a once-over with a hair dryer afterward, then leave it out to dry.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Rufust445 wrote:IMHO the Omega S-Brush is far better than a Syntex for travel mode, much kinder to the skin for face lathering. I tried a Syntex with the same handle as my current S-Brush and put it away. Not happy with face lathering results, and there is a world of difference with the S-Brush. In travel mode I face lather with a shot of cream from a tube, and have an easy time cleaning up with the fast drying S-Brush.

At home I'm working on a puck of Vermont Country Store Apothecary Lime Musk soap. Not so much by itself, but with a shot of KMF unscented and whipped up with a Bestshave Nr. 6 brush (mostly boar), it makes great lather. The brush I can pre-soak, give it a shake and a once-over with a hair dryer afterward, then leave it out to dry.
And if it doesn't have time to fully dry, well, what of it? The brush won't be hurt by staying moist. They could be put away dripping and they wouldn't be hurt.

I agree, synthetics are superb for travel.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
gwsmallwood

Post by gwsmallwood »

I still use my badger occasionally for face shaves, but for head shaving I have gone exclusively synthetic. I just find them the perfect mix of softness and backbone. I agree with some of the comments that there's no reason you "should" buy one. But if you're curious, in my opinion the Whipped Dog 24mm with standard loft is the best overall value. Great handle, soft tips, and plenty of backbone for someone used to badgers. You can get one of the new Razorocks, a Fine, or even an Omega S-Brush for cheaper. The handles aren't as good on any of them and the S-brush knot isn't nearly as good.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

A disgusting proposition....

Post by StGeorge »

I could never bring myself to soil my face with hair of human design, it has to be Badger for me, there is no alternative, I can't believe people actually do this kind of thing, it's depraved......
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Could be, but obsessive shaving and acquisition behavior is probably on the edge of sanity anyway.
Regards,
Squire
preidy

Post by preidy »

If you're happy with your current brushes and your RAD is not acting up, why change. However as such time either of those variables do change, the new-gen synthetic brushes have reached new levels of comfort and performance. I use a gen 4 myself.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Squire wrote:Could be, but obsessive shaving and acquisition behavior is probably on the edge of sanity anyway.
Isn't that the truth!
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

don't you feel the synthetic is taking the whole fun out of shaving, and putting it back into the cartridge realm?

is it best to use a canned foam or gel with the synthetic brush?

the most loved shave soaps contain tallow. that is to say fat from animals. As a result, don't we owe it to ourselves to create lather using brushes that are made from animals that contain tallow?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nic, I suspect you are having some fun with this, and here's my retort in kind, if I may --- as to using canned foam with any brush, synthetic, boar, horse, or badger. I doubt if anyone who's using canned lather is feeling the need to also use a brush, correct? :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Gary I couldn't make this up if I tried. I watched a youtube video where someone was demonstrating how to "lather" canned goop with a brush.
Brian

brothers

Post by brothers »

Brian, there are a lot of videos (depending on the search terms one uses :wink: ) that are a lot more interesting than that! :D Example, I once followed a link to a guy who was sharpening a straight razor on a concrete block, then using it dry to shave. OK, I concede the video you saw was probably better than the guy and the concrete block!
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

ROTFLMAO! Where do "they" come up with this off the wall stuff!?

The sad part is that the video I saw, the gent was 100% serous. It wasn't spoof, anything unusual, or any such thing. It was like, "OK son, this is how you use canned goop. You need a brush to slather it onto your face.".
Brian