What scent would you like to see in shaving soap/cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BiffBuff

What scent would you like to see in shaving soap/cream

Post by BiffBuff »

I am very focused on scent. If a cream/soap I try doesn't have enough smell, I am disappointed. I would love to see some of the major soap/cream producers offer cream/soap in some different scents........

Can you imagine the shaving soap stick Arko offered in some different scents? I gotta wonder why this obvious niche market isn't being exploited by the BIG BOYS -- why don't Arko and Williams offer something different?

Without wanting to be a tout, I've gotta say WET SHAVING PRODUCTS is offering an astounding variety of formulations/scents that are unparalleled in this market.

I find it hard to understand how the CEOs of the BIG NAMES in wet shaving aren't responding to the obvious market vacuum.

I'll step down from the soapbox now......
disengage
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: What scent would you like to see in shaving soap/cream

Post by Squire »

Because the CEOs are concerned with building their resumes. Their last gig was selling widgets and their next gig will be fast food or whatever. Making money for the stockholders gets one a hefty bonus and a higher paying job with another company.
Regards,
Squire
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

I would love for a nice tallow based shave soap in bourbon scent...
Heaven hill, Pappy, Old grand dad, Noah's mill...
all great names for a shave soap
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Steve that's actually sound theoretically, as is using gin for mouthwash. Unfortunately, some of us occasionally have to venture out in public and a Bourbon scent wafting after me doesn't sound like a good idea.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

A soap called William, new not vintage, with that great classic scent that lathers and performs with the best of them. PS. I may have one. Watch for a review, if and when my current product ever runs out. Haven't used it yet and I want to know if it's as slick as I expect it to be.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Squire wrote:Steve that's actually sound theoretically, as is using gin for mouthwash. Unfortunately, some of us occasionally have to venture out in public and a Bourbon scent wafting after me doesn't sound like a good idea.
Could you imaging being pulled over for a traffic stop and rolling the window down? Naw, there wouldn't be any problems! :lol: I could only imagine marijuana smoke scent would give more problems since it's so distinctive an odor.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

Stirling actually makes a soap called gin & tonic,
im tempted to get a puck :)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
BiffBuff

Post by BiffBuff »

The Stirling Gin & Tonic shaving soap is very good -- I also find that Truefitt and Hill's TRAFALGAR shaving cream smells like gin and tonic with a little lime added.

I was sipping a Dr. Pepper the other day and I think a Dr. Pepper scented shaving soap or cream would be very pleasant!
disengage
brothers

Post by brothers »

Peppermint Art of Shaving. The reason I say this --- I received an email from them today notifying me that fragrance is now in stock in limited edition. I called AOS in the mall, it's in stock. I like their shaving creams, and Peppermint seems like a good choice for a new scent.
Last edited by brothers on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The Trafalgar scent hit me with a bit of G&T aura as well but I thought that might be projection on my part.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Wintergreen.....
JayDee

Post by JayDee »

malocchio wrote:Wintergreen.....
Stirling Glacial Wintergreen is your ticket!
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

L'Occitane Vetyer
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I don't believe it is offered as a stock item by anyone, but I just ordered a custom shaving cream in Hawaiian white ginger scent from an Etsy artisan.
_______
John
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I make my own custom scented creams - buy a tub of AOS unscented and add whatever takes your fancy and stir it up. Pure geranium essential oil makes a nice scent, a few shots of Bois du Portugal or maybe a dash of Black Aoud. So far I haven't noticed any deterioration in performance of the cream as a result of the addition of EO or EDT in reasonable amounts. Of course I still have way too many pre-made soaps and creams so these custom ones are usually small batch items made up in a travel size tub.
Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Rick, I've been wondering how well this might work. I think the AOS shaving cream, uscented or otherwise, is one of the best. I'm glad to know it's working for you.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

buy a tub of AOS unscented and add whatever takes your fancy
what a great idea....47 thumbs up!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That is a good suggestion and one we've talked about before. Probably the main benefit of soft glycerin shave soaps is we can melt then "improve" them.
Regards,
Squire