Surprising Change In an Old Brush

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Ouchmychin

Surprising Change In an Old Brush

Post by Ouchmychin »

Several years ago I wanted a new badger brush and couldn't afford to spend much. At that it there was an Italian merchant on these boards that sold Omega brushes. I bought a black handled urn shaped 666 brush. It was listed as "pure badger". It had a loft of 55mm and a knot of 23 mm. What I found was that the bristles scratched like mad. I figured that Omega had clipped the tips to get the shape cheaply and I used it infrequently. Let say 8 years pass and I am doing a rotation among a half a dozen brushes and lately I have found that with my current soap or cream I am not noticing the scratch. Moreover, the brush handles very well at making lather. Rather better than my old Simpson Duke II or Colonel. What a pleasant surprise. I don't know if the tips just broke in or if the soap made a more protective lather or if I just got used to the feeling.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
kaptain_zero

Re: Surprising Change In an Old Brush

Post by kaptain_zero »

My guess is all three.

The Colonel is a tough brush to beat, by and large. It's my favorite brush, and while it was a bit scritchy to start, it's quite comfortable now. There was a run of custom made Colonels quite a while ago, I bought one as it came with the higher quality hair, but the handle still says Best Badger and it was more of a bulb shape instead of the traditional fan. I don't know why, but I just don't care for bulb shaped brushes.... My loss I guess....<sigh>

Regards

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

the mysteries of shaving brushes never cease to enthrall and amaze! One of the reasons I can never part with a brush...."but in a few years it might be best brush evahhh" HAHAHA

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I have an old Ralph Lauren brush that was refilled with a clipped black badger knot a few years ago. It was quite prickly but has mellowed out nicely. I am guessing that lathering slowly rounds out the rough edges of the tips and it softens. Maybe this could be sped up by working a knot onto a very mild abrasive (400 grit) I don't know. At least these rougher brushes do pay off in the long run.
Rick
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

These clipped rough brushes are capable of very solid work, the flexible nature of badger hair just lends itself to making good lather. Soft tips are a bonus, an unnecessary one, but nice nonetheless.
Regards,
Squire