Jabon de Guillermo (William) mug soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Jabon de Guillermo (William) mug soap

Post by brothers »

Guillermo is Spanish for William. This soap has the scent of Williams and performs great. A brand new product from Crown King. Created by someone who knows his business, and he absolutely nailed it. I've always liked the way the old Williams smells. The lather explodes and it lasts as long as you need it. And slick. That was my concern. 10/10 overall.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Re: Jabon de Guillermo (William) mug soap

Post by fallingwickets »

Gary, where did you get it from? Thanks

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

http://crownkingshaving.com/collections ... ed-edition
If it isn't a hard soap it isn't Williams, IMO. But I got excited for a moment.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks for the link Oscar. Thank goodness it isn't Williams. Hard or soft, it's a great performing soap that smells exactly like the disappointing throwaway cheap Williams we're all familiar with. I'm excited enough for the both of us. :)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

ditto on the thanks for the link
brothers

Post by brothers »

Five days of Guillermo with 5 different brushes, now it's dialed in pretty well. Slick and protective. I might go another 3 weeks or so before it's time to switch off again. I could describe it as light and fresh. It doesn't seem to be one of those scents that start to get tiresome after a few days.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This one will continue to be used every day until it's all gone. The Omega 20106 boar seems to be the most effective brush to create a slick, rich and buttery lather that smells just like the iconic but failed Williams hockey puck mug soap. Got it dialed in. You bet.
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

to be used every day until it's all gone
you actually manage to do that once in a while??????????????????????????????

LOL

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Good morning Clive. Yes this will become the 34th puck/tube/tub of shaving cream/soap/ASB that I will have used up completely since 2012. :D
Gary

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Your beard must really grow fast, and you must shave at least twice a day. I haven't used nearly that many tubs/tubes/pucks/sticks since I got in to this "hobby" in 2008. That includes a couple of pressurized cans of Old Spice.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I do shave twice a day but have no idea how much of what products I've used up. I have noticed a diminishment in the supply of sandalwood colognes since the coeds commented the scent wears well on my son.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

diminishment in the supply of sandalwood colognes since the coeds commented
Gets my vote for comment of the day.....57 thumbs up, Squire!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

My puck of rose soap, opened 4/16/13 is just now finished. I will be opening a new one tomorrow.

Your numbers really surprise me Gary only because youre such an experimenter I would never in a million years have thought that you finished more than one product a year!! :D :D I have just never thought of you as having an iota of shaving fidelity LOL, ergo my surprise

clive
brothers

Post by brothers »

Guillermo is all set for the 17th daily shave this morning. It might last me as much as 30 days before it runs out, but who knows. Generally speaking, depending on the particular soap, I load my brushes on the soap for a maximum of 15 to 20 seconds only. (Once I tested a new cake of Williams, the hardest soap known to man, and it yielded 24 minutes of loading the brush - the equivalent of 72 daily shaves @ 20 seconds per lathering.) When I prepare my lather, I run about a tablespoon of scalding hot water on the soap and let it sit for a few moments. Then I load the completely dry brush on the soap for the specified time. Then I take a few seconds to put as much of the proto-lather into the wooden lather bowl and proceed to build the lather. My style of loading is quite vigourous, by design. It would probably scare the crap out of some people. :D I add a dribble of hot water as necessary to get the huge mountain of thick rich lather that I require, then I do a full three pass shave before I squeeze the remaining lather out and rub it into my beard area following the shave. I do shave every day, just once. Using this method, the partially depleted vintage Castle Forbes Lime that had grown very firm over a few years took about 53 days to run out. I would call it a hard cream. A full tub of Martin de Candre lasted 100 days from start to finish, with a 15 second loading time. My own personal perception and expectation of a luxurious "Santa Claus" lather is probably quite different from some other guys who evidently prefer a much lighter, thinner, and watery skim of lather. I've got enough of my preferred soaps and creams on hand to last me somewhere in the range of ten to twelve years maybe.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

fallingwickets wrote:
diminishment in the supply of sandalwood colognes since the coeds commented
Gets my vote for comment of the day.....57 thumbs up, Squire!
Ditto! :D
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

My first tub of Guillermo soap lasted 21 daily shaves, enthusiastically loading the brush on the soap for only 20 seconds.
Gary