Why Synthetic?

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Why Synthetic?

Post by Squire »

nicodemus38 wrote:don't you feel the synthetic is taking the whole fun out of shaving . . . .
Not really but then I'm easily amused.
Regards,
Squire
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

shaving is a traditional thing. traditional is good in regards to shaving. Its something we have a say in. Doesn't matter what kind of shaving device you use. though don't get me going on carts.

Most soaps are or were designed for boar or badger. I seem to recall anything made in Italy loved a boar brush.

and boars are special. Im not a huge fan of bacon. but I just loves me a brush made out of bacon parts.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Synthetics are traditional. I have the nylon brush that belonged to my grandfather some 50 years ago. It is a piece of junk, but it was sold for shaving. The current badger hair is nothing like what was available even 10 years ago, let alone 2-3 decades. So, in all honesty, a synthetic with the newer, better fibers is every bit as traditional as a badger brush. Now, boar brushes I would say are largely unchanged over the past 5 decades or more, and perhaps horse hair brushes, too.

As for what soaps are designed for, I don't make my soaps to be used with any particular hair, but I use a synthetic almost every day and can't argue with the results. Indeed, most artisan soap formulations have come into being since the advent of the "new synthetics," so it's arguable they are made for boar or badger. They work with any brush you care to use.

Good soap is good soap. Good brushes are good brushes. A good shave is a good shave.

Just shave, baby! (Where the hell is Chris/Thalay Sagar?)
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Upon reflection I've decided synthetic brushes are the spawn of Satan and I for one shall solemnly renounce evil things.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I have two pure badger brushes sitting on a back shelf that I've tried, and was not all that impressed with. If I had to live with one brush, it would be an Omega S-Brush, my most recent acquisition. It's great for face lathering creams in travel mode, with great drying properties. For what soaps I use at home, the Bestshave Nr. 6 (boar) makes great lather and does the job. I may even try the S-Brush on a soap just for grins.

As always with brushes, and blades, YMMV.
Data

Post by Data »

I have two synths, one Plisson and one Stirling, same knot, that now sit permanently by the sink. My badgers, boars and horse stay in their cedar box.

Pros:
No soaking required, just dip, wet the puck and go
Great lather face or bowl
Easy to clean. Fast rinse and they don't buildup residue requiring vinegar wash.
Under $25

Only possible con and a stretch:
They don't really exfoliate like natural hairs
BPman

Post by BPman »

I don't even own a badger one anymore having sold the last one over a year ago. I have two boars that I rarely use as well having replaced everything with two Mühle synthetic brushes, a black fibre one & silvertip. They works great on creams, soaps & 'croaps' equally. As a matter of fact, these newer Gen 4 synthetic brushes work BETTER than any hair IMO. Crafty Germans, it's a miracle they didn't win the war. :P :wink:
brothers

Post by brothers »

The most current synthetic (I've used it every day since I received it) is the Razorock Plissoft synthetic Monster 26mm x 63 mm, and I give it top spot. Brush + shipping is around $17. Thank goodness I'm not compelled to pledge my allegiance as a result of peer pressure or sentimental value to any certain type of brush (badger/boar/horse or even synthetic). I just go with what works for me, and this brush definitely outperforms all the rest.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Raze R. Blade

Post by Raze R. Blade »

ThePossum wrote:I do not have a large collection of brushes. Like 3 boar and 5 badger in best and silvertip variety. Do not use the boars very often because I have moved to more of a cream rather than soap user. Still use MWF and Tabac soaps. I am satisfied with all my badgers and use the two best badgers the most. I am retired now so I do not have to shave everyday unless I feel like it.

Have been reading this forum and seem to see a trend in discussion about synthetic brushes. Because I am satisfied with the brushes I use now will you guys chime in and tell me why I should buy a synthetic? Also what mfg would you suggest?
Eight brushes is a large collection in my humble opinion. Traditionally, most guys had only one or two, and that likely holds true today except for forum members.

Why synthetic? Because the supply of badger pelts is not unlimited. As demand grows, the quality of badger hair might well decline. Synthetic then becomes a very practical option. Twenty years ago, "synthetic" usually meant crap quality in a brush. Not anymore, and the best quality synthetics approach silvertips in functionality and utility. Synthetics really shine as travel brushes, as they dry quickly and can be put away damp if need be.

If you already have multiple brushes for home with which you are satisfied, why not just keep using those and get a synthetic travel brush?
nicodemus38

Post by nicodemus38 »

the reason synthetics are so popular is this.

they are a lot easier to deal with then a natural brush. its like the cartridge system for brushes. boom, water, soap and you can shave.

Clean better apparently.

Most of all, their is a lot less variation from brush to brush. As a result its easy to replace one.
brothers

Post by brothers »

... and cheaper by a long shot ... :D
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dwald

Post by dwald »

When I'm (quite often) feeling heretical enough to use Barbasol, yet too sophisticated to hand smear, my Fine Angel Hair Synthetic is perfect. Scritchy and Barbasol aren't right together.

Otherwise, it's a badger brush with Taylor Almond, 'cause that's just the way it should be. :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dwald, try it, you might like it! I'm just sayin' --- :wink:
Gary

Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have a collection of fine badgers and one boar brush. Since I tried the monster synthetic that gary recommended I have never been interested in any other brush. It has been a totally good experience for about 10 bucks plus shipping.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
BPman

Post by BPman »

I bought the Razorock synthetic one with the "Bruce" handle for $9.99 and I have nothing but praise for it. Simply fantastic. Today I sat a synthetic brush between the window & screen with the outside temp being approx. 100F. It was dry in 5 mins. :shock: :wink:
gregkw1

Post by gregkw1 »

I have three badgers ....3 boars and three synthetics if I could only choose one it would be the razorock monster synthetic.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'm seeing a lot of praise for the Razorock Monster Synthetic.

My question: Is there a tendency to go with a larger brush in synthetic?

- Murray
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Murray, I find that I can use a brush with more loft in a synthetic because the fibers generally aren't as floppy. Overall, my smaller lofted synthetics aren't quite as small as my smaller brushes in badger or boar. I think my smallest lofted synthetic is the Simpsons Classic 1. Two of them actually, with different fibers. They probably have the same loft as Classics in badger just from the design of the brush and the goal put forth for the brush; they need to fit the travel tube.

I don't know if others find the same thing though.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

CMur12 wrote:I'm seeing a lot of praise for the Razorock Monster Synthetic.

- Murray
Murray, in my case, I've always preferred larger brushes so when I learned about the $10 RR Monster (currently sold out) I chose it over the smaller RR version (the Disruptor 22 x 57mm in stock as of today 7-3-2016). I am guessing most guys will stick with their basic preferences.
Gary

CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

brothers wrote:
CMur12 wrote:I'm seeing a lot of praise for the Razorock Monster Synthetic.

- Murray
Murray, in my case, I've always preferred larger brushes so when I learned about the $10 RR Monster (currently sold out) I chose it over the smaller RR version (the Disruptor 22 x 57mm in stock as of today 7-3-2016). I am guessing most guys will stick with their basic preferences.
Thanks, Gary.

- Murray