9 years ago today I joined SMF

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Antique Hoosier

9 years ago today I joined SMF

Post by Antique Hoosier »

Gentlemen, my intention is not to produce a self vanity post here but rather to in a sense celebrate the enjoyment that I have experienced by being a member of SMF for what is now as of today 9 years. I have 10000 plus posts on another shave forum but have since perhaps a year ago pretty much left that group behind and now when I post on occasion, it is at SMF. I do so because I believe in being a part of what i believe is the purest shaving forum devoid from the constant vendor commercials and troll posts. I have learned so much from the collective group of core individuals here at SMF. My acquisition of shaving tools and materials has significantly waned over the years but I still enjoy a straight razor shave and the joys that it brings as a part of my morning routine. Looking forward to a wonderful 2016 and wish all SMF members the very best year as well.
Mike
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: 9 years ago today I joined SMF

Post by drmoss_ca »

Good lord, are we that old?

Hell's bells - I checked and discovered it was 11½ years since I joined up. I must have been young and handsome in those days.

Thanks for your long term support and posts, AH! Keep it up for the next nine years...

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

We're still young and handsome Chris, I blame that lying mirror.

Good post Mike, thanks for the support and kind wishes.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Happy Anniversary Mike!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Ha! Squire, your post reminds me of the joke about what the man said to his wife after being caught en flagrante. "Honey, are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"
Jim
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Congrats, Mike. Your name indicates Indiana origins but your profile says Tampa Bay. I'm in South Bend. Do you originally hail from our fair crossroads of America?
Regards,
Mike
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Congratulations, Mike. You and I joined around the same time, as I just marked nine years, myself.

I had been lurking here for awhile, but I joined because I wanted in on the SMF shave brush made by Rooney.

- Murray
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Get off my damn lawn you hippies!
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

rustyblade wrote:Get off my damn lawn you hippies!
Holy crap I joined over 10 years ago!

I was a 28 year old baby with a bad shave when I joined. Now I'm an old man approaching 40 with slightly less hair but much more handsome if I do say so!
Richard
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Well, hello Richard! If you've got Gordon stashed away in some dungeon do let him post now and then....

Nice to see you here again.

C.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Antique Hoosier

Post by Antique Hoosier »

maskaggs wrote:Congrats, Mike. Your name indicates Indiana origins but your profile says Tampa Bay. I'm in South Bend. Do you originally hail from our fair crossroads of America?
Born in Corydon, Indiana, the first state capitol of Indiana. Also was a resident of Indianapolis until April 30th, 2014. South Bend has a bit of a family connection however as my Dad was an employee of a Studebaker dealer and to this day owns several classic Studebaker vehicles. Antique Hoosier was the name of my Auction company as well as I am a licensed Auctioneer. I currently am a manufacturer's rep in the Automobile chemicals industry and travel throughout the state of Florida calling on dealerships, car lots, car washes, and detailing shops/mobile detail companies. The company I represent had it's start in Indianapolis in 1947 so it seems that Indiana connection never quite leaves me.

Richard (rustyblade) and I have a very slight connection as I once bought his massive shedding Tulip 4 back in 2007? Loved that brush and never should have sold it but it went out in a massive den clearing when I decided to give up DE shaving and embark on straight razors. I sold it and a huge lot to fund my straight journey.

Gordon and I have a slight connection as we both have resided in the Tampa Bay area although never met him in person. There are quite a bit of "6 degrees of separation" between myself and many members of the shaving community. Lots of story-lines in the last 9 years of buying, selling, and trading among the members that I have come into contact with.
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gordon is a myth, actually there were several different personalities posting here under his name.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire wrote:Gordon is a myth, actually there were several different personalities posting here under his name.
Oh, you mean like they did with Lassie? :lol:

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I think more like the MGM lion but point carried.
Regards,
Squire
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

drmoss_ca wrote:Well, hello Richard! If you've got Gordon stashed away in some dungeon do let him post now and then....

Nice to see you here again.

C.
Ditto.
Bryan
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Congrats Mike. :D

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nice to see you out and about Richard....hoping the little princesses are doing fabulously!

clive
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Antique Hoosier wrote:
Richard (rustyblade) and I have a very slight connection as I once bought his massive shedding Tulip 4 back in 2007? Loved that brush and never should have sold it but it went out in a massive den clearing when I decided to give up DE shaving and embark on straight razors. I sold it and a huge lot to fund my straight journey.
Ah, yes the Tulip 4. Was it a shedder? I don't remember. I know there was a large Kent T4 that shed a lot. I regret selling some things. I knew I had a problem when there seemed to be a whole economy of my used things out there. Like all hobbies, they come and go. I still shave with a DE and use my still many soaps and blades, but I don't spend that kind of money on hobbies anymore as life gets in between my wallet and such.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

fallingwickets wrote:Nice to see you out and about Richard....hoping the little princesses are doing fabulously!

clive
Great to see you too Clive. The girls are 6 and 8 now!
Richard
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I know there was a large Kent T4 that shed a lot.
I think I was the one that bought that (if not, kent must have had a bad run for a while) :( :shock: But the 'sheddah' was passed on and the gent that owns it loved it regardless

clive