Good sandals for vacation

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Good sandals for vacation

Post by Sam »

Going to be walking a bit, and then beaching it. Looking for sandals, not flip flops, as the thong piece between the toes sorta irritates me. I walk fast, lol. Looking for Birkenstock Arizona or similar. Dont know if soft or regular footbed is better. I have low arches, maybe a pencil can fit between the arch and the ground. Have heard that the hard footbed is better unless you walk a lot. I have some Mephistos but the cost to repair the sole is $90 or so and that was about what they cost 7 years ago. Just better to toss or use for rainy days.

For beach sandals, dont really like the slides that soccor players wear but hey, maybe Ill pick up a cheap pair at a Kohls or something. I have some keens but a lot of work to get in and out of, but since it is 7 days, I may just take them

Ideas?
Rufus

Re: Good sandals for vacation

Post by Rufus »

I have a pair of Birkenstock Arizona, which I quite like. But, if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking I always wear a pair of Keen Newport sandals. They are very sturdy, comfortable and stable. I also wear them for whitewater canoeing as they protect the toes, have a good grippy sole and aren't affected by water. I think they would be very good for the beach and wading in the surf. I don't find it a chore to get them on or off; once they're adjusted to my foot they are a snap to get in and out of and I haven't had to adjust my current pair since the first day I put them on 4 years ago.
Bryan
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Sam, I too find thong sandals to be uncomfortable. I have had this pair of Merrell sandals for 20 years and have worn them everywhere, including in saltwater, and they've been great. All they require is freshwater cleaning now and then. I have no idea what the model name is.
ImageImage
_______
John
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm presently using Keens, Pacific Trail, and a pair of Merrell. They all wear like iron and I wear sandals a lot.

The only problems with all of them, and my wife will verify... I wear them year round in Maine. It's true. I tend not to wear them though unless the snow has been plowed, and they are the pits on ice. Why can't manufacturers test them on ice too? My wife thinks I'm nuts, and our friends don't believe until they see it. -20 outside and Brian is wearing sandals out in it.

One thing I've recently discovered just a few weeks ago is the use of ankle high socks with them. For the past 20 years or so I'd also go bare foot in them. The short socks definitely make them more comfortable, especially if the toe is closed in as in the Keens.

Sorry, I can't address the footbed. They are either comfortable to me or not, but I do like arch support. The Pacific Trails have a removable insert under the foot.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sam, Merrells, Chacos, Keens and Tevas are all excellent brands for what you are interested in. Go to a good outdoors store in your are (Outdoors, Inc, I believe) and get the pair that fits you best. For some fun also consider some Sanuks.

John, I remember those Merrells. It's very impressive that they lasted that long. The heel posts did a great job of locking your foot in.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Birkenstocks for sure. I have a couple of pair and find them excellent -- even though I have heard from some sources that the cork beds aren't as good for your feet and posture as most of us think. I have never had any issues with mine, so I keep wearing them. I have an inside and an outside pair that I wear constantly during the warmer weather.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Nensiraul

Post by Nensiraul »

Sam wrote:Going to be walking a bit, and then beaching it. Looking for sandals, not flip flops, as the thong piece between the toes sorta irritates me. I walk fast, lol. Looking for Birkenstock Arizona or similar. Dont know if soft or regular footbed is better. I have low arches, maybe a pencil can fit between the arch and the ground. Have heard that the hard footbed is better unless you walk a lot. I have some Mephistos but the cost to repair the sole is $90 or so and that was about what they cost 7 years ago. Just better to toss or use for rainy days.

For beach sandals, dont really like the slides that soccor players wear but hey, maybe Ill pick up a cheap pair at a Kohls or something. I have some keens but a lot of work to get in and out of, but since it is 7 days, I may just take them

Ideas?
I think birkenstocks is a good choice.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'll assume you have resolved this by now, Sam.

If not, I think it is important to try any footwear on, especially when it is supposed to have an anatomical shape. Birkenstocks, for example, are proportioned very differently from my feet, so I can't wear them. I have worn other brands, however, that fit me well.

- Murray
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Got the Birks in a slate gray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Sam wrote:Got the Birks in a slate gray
Excellent choice. =D>
Wendell

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

The only people who say Birkenstocks are bad for your feet are the orthotics technicians who would rather sell you a few pairs of insoles and, yes, you definitely need orthopedic sneakers....BTW, how much does your insurance cover each year?

Birks are fantastic for feet, and cheaper than orthotics. They are also very cheap compared to other shoes if you look after them. I bought my first pair 29 years ago, and they have been re-soled several times, and had the cork footbed replaced once. They cost me just over $100CAN when new and I was horrified, but they are still going nearly thirty years later. Eventually I wised up and made the smart choice, and now have four other pairs of shoes/clogs from Birkenstock.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

My wife tore some ligaments in her ankle this past April and her doctor and physiotherapist insisted she wear only Birkies once she was out of the plastic boot splint. She'd never worn Birkies before so she was a bit leery, but very quickly she came to appreciate them and it's only been the cold weather and snow that have had her out of them. Because of this I purchased a pair of Birkies with a heel strap in the summer. I haven't adjusted to them very well and much prefer my Keen Newport, particularly if I have to walk any distance.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Birkenstocks to me are akin to LL Bean Boots which I came to own some time before they became "hip" and "in" .... but that's another thread for another day.

Enjoy the Birkenstocks -- they simply are the best sandals bar-none given my experience.
Wendell