Hello from new guy

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
Data

Hello from new guy

Post by Data »

Hello folks,

I just joined this forum and this is my 1st post. Although new to this group I have been straight razor shaving and honing for many years. I like any razor with a proper edge from 3/8 - 7/8. I've never had a 8/8 but I'm sure they are fine too. I do prefer full and extra full hollow. I hone on Coticules, Jnats and film. My finishing strop is usually a Kanayama but I use several strops in progression before and after. I've never found much use for pastes since I like to hone so much. Most razors touch a finishing stone at least every 4 shaves. I guess I just like fresh steel.

I look forward to joining in the conversation.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Re: Hello from new guy

Post by drmoss_ca »

Welcome to SMF!

I'm glad you have a taste for 3/8 blades if you hone every four shaves! :twisted:

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Data, and welcome to SMF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Data, I welcomed you on another thread but will repeat the greeting here, and to say one of my best razors ever was a 3/8. Or thereabouts, never measured it, just a guess based on comparison to my regular 5/8s.
Regards,
Squire
Data

Post by Data »

drmoss_ca wrote:Welcome to SMF!

I'm glad you have a taste for 3/8 blades if you hone every four shaves! :twisted:

Chris

That's funny:). Lest any new honers get the wrong idea, you could put a razor on a true finisher everyday for 10 years with no noticeable hone or edge wear. I usually use Koma then Tomo Nagura then glycerin water to polish. Then multiple linen then multiple leather and Bob's your uncle.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Welcome Data,

Sounds like you are quite far along with things ..... hoping you'll find this forum helpful and the interaction enjoyable.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?