Anyone wear cowboy boots?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Anyone wear cowboy boots?

Post by Kyle76 »

I had been wanting a pair of cowboy boots. I haven't had any in many years. The only other pair I ever owned were Dingos that I got in college and owned a long time. At the suggestion of a horse-riding buddy, I ordered a pair of Luccheses, which came right after Christmas. I really like them, and they are quite comfortable. I've worn them casual and even to work with a suit. They weren't terribly expensive, and I'm not easy to fit. These are 15Ds. I hadn't had any luck with other brands. I had never heard of Lucchese, but I highly recommend them.
Jim
brothers

Re: Anyone wear cowboy boots?

Post by brothers »

I wore out my second pair of cowboy boots a long time ago. I should get some more.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Lucchese sounds like an Italian designer but it's actually an old Texas company. When I was stationed at Ft. Sam those who knew boots bought from Lucchese. Sturdy, well make with heavy leather meant to last, but the craftsman could also turn out custom footwear that would rival John Lobb's best work. My Dad favored boots from Leddy's in Ft. Worth but folks in the Hill Country wouldn't have any truck with those people up north though they would consider a saddle made by Price McLauchlin.

Don't know who owns the company now but when the place was family owned some of their fans were guys like John Ford, Lyndon Johnson and John Wayne.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Once upon a time a well regarded gent of western american locale told me that the best cowboy boot to get was Ariat, and so i rushed off to wander the great www in search of a pair. After finding the most legitimate looking western wear shop I could, an order was placed. Cowboy boots might be comfortable, but putting them on and taking them off is a pita that spoils the whole affair. Completely dwarfing the on/off letdown was the fact that these were made in china. Once i saw that, my cowboy boot desire died a horrible death :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I bought a pair of Lucchese ropers when I lived in Houston. I've had them for 19 years and they're still going strong. They are the most comfortable boot I've ever had and I have a difficult foot to fit due to a high instep. Although they are plain goat leather, they are superbly made and a match for my Churchs dress shoes in every way.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have long pined for a pair of cowboy boots. My dad had a hand-made pair he acquired when travelling with the RCAF back in the 60s -- he let me wear them on occasion as a teen.

Alas, my wife is not in favour of this easterner wearing such western paraphernalia. Luckily she's good with me wearing flat caps and Harris Tweed 8) :wink:

Nothing like a good pair of cowboy boots.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Jbbmad2

Post by Jbbmad2 »

Arguably one of the best boot makers around. Made just a bit north of me here in Houston, Tx.
Bruce
Proverbs 3:5-6
Gig'em!
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:I have long pined for a pair of cowboy boots. My dad had a hand-made pair he acquired when travelling with the RCAF back in the 60s -- he let me wear them on occasion as a teen.

Alas, my wife is not in favour of this easterner wearing such western paraphernalia. Luckily she's good with me wearing flat caps and Harris Tweed 8) :wink:

Nothing like a good pair of cowboy boots.
Wendell, buy a pair of Lucchese Ropers and tell your wife you've joined the Hussars. Hussars wear quarter/half Wellingtons, which are similar to cowboy Roper boots.
Bryan
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Rufus wrote:Wendell, buy a pair of Lucchese Ropers and tell your wife you've joined the Hussars. Hussars wear quarter/half Wellingtons, which are similar to cowboy Roper boots.
Wellington dress boots would work well for me ----- my dad had a pair of those as well. He always said that a proper classic wardrobe needed a silk double-breasted suit, and a pair each of cowboy boots and Wellingtons. He was a factory worker, but he loved to be clean and dress up.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:
Rufus wrote:Wendell, buy a pair of Lucchese Ropers and tell your wife you've joined the Hussars. Hussars wear quarter/half Wellingtons, which are similar to cowboy Roper boots.
Wellington dress boots would work well for me ----- my dad had a pair of those as well. He always said that a proper classic wardrobe needed a silk double-breasted suit, and a pair each of cowboy boots and Wellingtons. He was a factory worker, but he loved to be clean and dress up.
There you go Wendell, you'll be all set with a pair of Lucchese Bannock Ropers in black cherry goat. SWMBO might just like them too or tolerate them at the very least.
Bryan
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I have more cowboy boots than a person should ever need, but then again that never stopped me from buying them (I have the same problem with Albert Slippers as well, but that is another story). Most of my boots are Tony Lama and Dan Post. But, I have a few less known brands as well such as Double H and Old West. I wear the dressy ones with suits quite often.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

for reasons unknown, even to me :D , ive always considered danny a *real* cowboy and so his recs are definitely worth paying attention to, or i will be anyway next time i get the idea to buy boots again

thanks
clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

fallingwickets wrote:for reasons unknown, even to me :D , ive always considered danny a *real* cowboy and so his recs are definitely worth paying attention to, or i will be anyway next time i get the idea to buy boots again

thanks
clive
Thanks so much, Clive. I appreciate that.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"