Bread Machine Panettone

Share recipes and tips, or memorable restaurant experiences here.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Bread Machine Panettone

Post by drmoss_ca »

My son is a fan of this Italian Christmas bread, and eats several loaves of it each Christmas. This gave me an incentive to make my own (promptly lost again after doing the costs - it's cheaper to buy, but much more satisfying to make yourself!)

Liquids
½ cup rum for soaking raisins, and 2 TBSP for the mix (Captain Morgan Dark is my preference)
¼ tsp orange essence/orange oil/orange flavour
2 eggs
Whole milk to bring liquid total to 1 cup

Dry
3 cups white bread flour
1/3 cup white sugar
½ tsp salt
2½ tsp yeast
1½ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp anise seeds
Grated zest of a large orange
½ cup raisins

Fat
4 TBSP butter or olive oil

Instructions
Soak raisins in rum (you can heat or boil them, or simply do it at room temperature if not in a hurry and accustomed to thinking ahead)
Combine all the liquids - I use a 1 cup measure in which I whisk the eggs before adding the rest, and this allows me to add the rum orange essence and milk to make exactly a cup - and place in machine, followed by the dry ingredients (minus raisins) and oil or butter, with the yeast going in last and on top of all else. My machine requires me set it to a 'Basic' recipe for fruit loaves, and I add the raisins at the Beeping-that-happens-when-you-should-add-stuff. The rum they were soaked in? Chuck it in if you judge the dough to need more liquid, or simply swallow it if all is going well.

The loaf is tall, elastic and tastes authentic. I would have sworn there was marzipan in panettone, but it turns out the flavour is the mix of orange and cloves. I haven't any photos of it so far, but I'll make it again in the next few days and be sure to take a photo.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
malocchio

Re: Bread Machine Panettone

Post by malocchio »

Great recipe!..If you want it a little more authentic ,leave out the cloves and orange liquids,and use 1/8 tsp of Fiori di Sicilia....http://bakerybits.co.uk/fiori-di-sicili ... l-oil.html
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

drmoss_ca wrote: it's cheaper to buy, but much more satisfying to make yourself!)
Exactly, but one should know how to at least once to appreciate it fully. It's awfully tasty.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Indeed it is! I'm amazed that one can turn out such a loaf at home with so little effort.

Cooking IS rewarding.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Made yesterday:

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'm salivating! I can taste it from here but without the calories.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Chris,

We too have been fiddling with our bread machine in hopes of replacing store bought Panattone. So many of them are quite terrible, and the better ones cost a small fortune on the Prairies.

Mrs. Zero and I got hooked on Panettone when one of my previous customers began to give me one each Christmas, and being from Italy, he refused to scrimp, and ordered only the finest from some Italian importer.

Zoom forward to today where I no longer have Serafino as my customer (we are still good friends and we both love shaving stuff), and so I needed to find or make something myself. I just finished giving your recipe a whirl, and it is very nice. In our case, we cut back the amount of cloves to 1/2 tsp and added 1/3 cup of currants and a 1/4 cup of candied orange peel (the rum was replaced with Brandy, it was all I had). All in all a terrific substitute for imported Panettone, and one that we can now make at any time of year, not just for Christmas.

Thank you again, Chris!

Regards,

Christian
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm glad it worked for you!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
dosco

Post by dosco »

kaptain_zero wrote:We too have been fiddling with our bread machine in hopes of replacing store bought Panattone. So many of them are quite terrible, and the better ones cost a small fortune on the Prairies.
What recipes have you tried?

Have you looked at any of the recipes on The Fresh Loaf?

For example, this one looks interesting: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/34083/ ... -panettone

(not to usurp Dr. Moss ... just find the conversation interesting)

-Dave
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Made it last night,tampered with your recipe a little bit,results are fantastic!...Soaked chopped dried black figs,medjool dates and Afghani raisins in 1/8th cup Four Roses yellow label Bourbon for a week.Used half organic whole wheat pastry flour ,half organic unbleached wheat flour...1/4 tsp Princess flavoring ,1/4 tsp. anise powder,1/8th tsp cloves ,zest of 2 fresh tangelos..Not quite as light and fluffy as traditional loaves,but the taste and wonderful scent were as good or better.I used sunflower oil,maybe next loaf I'll try it with a nice Irish or Finnish butter.....Thanks for the recipe !
Attachments
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (58.86 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Mmmmmm..... booouuuurbon.

A bottle of that stuff and I don't care what else is in the Panettone! :mrgreen:

I do not know why, but I've succumbed to the Jnat hysteria and chosen a hone that I will purchase shortly. I really should focus on Panettone instead, it's cheaper and much tastier.

Thanks again Chris.

Regards

Kaptain "I have abandoned all hope" Zero
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Too late now, Christmas is over!

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

I know it's hard to believe, but Xmas 2016 is just around the corner and I get to dust off your very fine Panettone recipe!

I'm kind of depressed now that my blood tests are indicating I'm pre-diabetic, but for a good piece of Panettone... it'll be worth it! :mrgreen:

All the cakes, cookies and chocolates have been cancelled, but this recipe stays!

Thanks!

Ooh.... I forgot I'm fresh out of Bourbon.... must fix that tomorrow.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

It IS that time of year!

The wife and I were discussing Potica this last weekend. I might also give panettone a try this year. We don't need the calories, but it sure is good! It's also not year round.
Brian

kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

To quote my dad: "It's not what you eat between Christmas and New Years that causes weight gain, it's what you eat between New Years and Christmas!" :mrgreen:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Good luck with the recipe. I'm afraid I won't be making it this year as my sone won't be home for Christmas.

Chris
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
kaptain_zero

Post by kaptain_zero »

Sorry to hear that Chris, it's the one time of year when our family *tries* to get together, but alas, there's nobody left in our family to get together with.....

On the other hand, you could ditch that smoked mackerel and give the Norwegian treat "Lutefisk" a go.... Good old cod, soaked in lye until it turns into a jello like state when cooked, and tastes like soap... all you need is lots and lots of melted butter to make it go down. :twisted:

And go figure... I can buy Lutefisk locally!

I may have grown up in Norway, but there is a reason why one of my T-shirts says: "Lutefisk. Bad to the bone!"

Wishing you all the best,

Christian
pausted

Post by pausted »

Here in south Texas at this time of year we enjoy the return of thousands of "Winter Texans". They come down from the Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and so on to spend the winter in our warm weather.

Our church youth group hosts a lutefisk dinner as a fundraiser each year and serves about 600 meals. The folks from up north really enjoy it. One can actually buy lutefisk in the local supermarket in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas! Who knew?
Best regards,

Basil
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've never had lutefisk, but I've heard that it has a unique air about it and flavor. I'd give it a go though. I've also heard that some folks died from eating it in the old country if it wasn't properly prepared. :-) They'd have a "first eater" and if that person survived they'd all partake knowing it was safe. But it was their winter survival. I have never seen it in Maine. The Maine tradition is dried, and smoked and dried, cod. I love them both and again unique aroma and taste and winter survival food. It's been since my childhood since I've had cod fish balls made from dried cod. I need to make them. The wife will never eat them so I'll be all on my own. (more for me)

Another survival food (IMO) are canned smoked kippers (large sardines aka herring). Just delicious, but it's an acquired taste. I love the things. Canned sardines are in that category too; delicious, even if a bit mild in flavor.

I absolutely love pickled herring and I generally order a few gallons from the Great Lakes every winter. Dang! I'm salivating at the thought. I'd buy Maine pickled herring but it just isn't "right" and I can't get it in large enough jars for economy. I can go through a lot of pickled herring. Still salivating. Yeah, it's time to place my first order for pickled herring.
Brian

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Kippers are magical breakfast food, traditionally in Scotland with a dollop of gooseberry jam and a glass of scotch. Smoke or pickle your herrings, but for goodness sake keep away from the evil brined version - the bloater. Like eating wet cardboard.

C.
Pierre-Simon de Laplace